Trip Review: Celebrity Summit - 8 Dec 2018 to 15 Dec 2018

journeycollector

I will be on this same cruise in April. Any advice on the ports? I am little apprehensive about getting off in Dominica due to the storm last year. Wondering you thoughts and ideas  of what to do? We are traveling with 3 kids so not sure if we can do the waterfalls. Also what would you recommend in St Croix? Is there a nice beach near the pier? Any tips would be great. Really just looking for some nice beaches to relax and swim in. Kinda tough to sightsee with the kids.

Thanks in advance!

4 hours ago, PatEv said:

Excellent review.  We were on the same cruise and thoroughly enjoyed it.  In hindsight, we would have done less excursions and included a beach day or two, the sea day was quite a relief towards the end.  Our highlight was St Maarten - we did a full island tour with a third party and it was excellent. Close runner up was a catamaran trip out of Barbados for the day.

We opted for the El Yunque/airport tour on the last day.  It was good but we were dropped at the airport at about 12.00 and our flight was 18.00 😞    Second leg ogf our flight was also delayed by about 4 hours as well - we got home about 19.00 on the Sunday!

We had researched our next cruise prior to boarding and managed to get the same deal with £200 on board credit thrown in....so we booked.  Dubai - Singapore in a year's time it is 🙂

Thanks once again for reigniting a few memories of this great trip.

Wow..Dubai - Singapore sounds amazing! Glad you enjoyed this cruise too! I was curious about doing the El Yunque tour but our flight was too early. 

2 hours ago, danalea1980 said:

I will be on this same cruise in April. Any advice on the ports? I am little apprehensive about getting off in Dominica due to the storm last year. Wondering you thoughts and ideas  of what to do? We are traveling with 3 kids so not sure if we can do the waterfalls. Also what would you recommend in St Croix? Is there a nice beach near the pier? Any tips would be great. Really just looking for some nice beaches to relax and swim in. Kinda tough to sightsee with the kids.

Thanks in advance!

Depends on what you like to do! We decided to break up the 5 islands into: 2 beach days, 2 island tours, and 1 "adventure/active" tour. 

I think we loved Dominica because we had booked an excursion (rainforest/waterfalls), otherwise I don't think just walking around the port with kids would be too fun. Dominica is getting back on its feet. How old are the kids? Some of the more "fun" things like river tubing require kids to be at least anywhere from 6-8 (it depends on the tour company). Maybe check out the Dominica shore excursions page for ideas? https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/shore-excursions/port/54/  

For St. Croix: yep, there is a beach to the left of the pier at Frederiksted! You can rent chairs and umbrellas there. Or you can take a taxi from Frederiksted down to one of the hotels that offer beach passes to cruise ship passengers like Sand Castle: https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductDetail-g147401-d14141174-Sand_Castle_on_The_Beach_Day_Pass_in_St_Croix-St_Croix_U_S_Virgin_Islands.html 

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

Thank You!! I am also on the 12 night 10 islands Jan 5 -17th 2019 so this IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!! How were the live Celebrity bands that play sail away's & such? Were you offered many discounts on specialty dining or beverage packages while on board? Truly appreciate the time that you took. Thank you!!!

Dear OP,  we too were on this cruise with you and we have alot of the same pictures.   If I'm not mistaken, the temperature was 84 degrees or so everyday with little to no humidity, really perfect weather.  Unbelievable that we were the only ship in port until the 5th day when we finally saw a Princess ship.    That made for less crowds and traffic everywhere.  It was a great cruise for us as we did the Suite thing for the first time and enjoyed the meals in Luminae and Quisine.

Its the second year in a row we've done Summit in December.   It just seems like a great value to us at that time of the year.

21 hours ago, chad1969 said:

Thank You!! I am also on the 12 night 10 islands Jan 5 -17th 2019 so this IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!! How were the live Celebrity bands that play sail away's & such? Were you offered many discounts on specialty dining or beverage packages while on board? Truly appreciate the time that you took. Thank you!!!

Thanks! We enjoyed the bands. Neither of us are what you call live music experts, but what we listened to/saw was definitely enjoyable for us. Since this cruise left from San Juan, there was definitely more Latin music than the Celebrity cruise we took last year out of Miami, but I love Latin music--but that was a plus for me. We enjoyed the live music in the Rendezvous Lounge before dinner in the MDR each evening. As for discounts, we already had the classic beverage package when we booked, they tried to upsell us the the premium package, but we're not "top shelf" or big drinkers. We were approached about 10% off (or was it 20%) on specialty dining for the 1st night, but didn't take the bait this time. I will say, we were stopped repeatedly each day for upsells or discounts. We already had everything planned out, so we found it kind of annoying. Just my dos centavos! 🙂

• Like 1

20 hours ago, downsmead said:

I like the 'new' layout of the dailies. I haven't seen this layout before, separated into the different types of activities. Is this new / fleet wide? Or does it just show I haven't been on a Celebrity ship since April 🙀.

Not sure if the dailies format is new. Maybe one of the more frequent cruisers can chime in? They were definitely easy to read and well organized!...even if activities were a tad lacking. 

3 hours ago, JRG said:

Dear OP,  we too were on this cruise with you and we have alot of the same pictures.   If I'm not mistaken, the temperature was 84 degrees or so everyday with little to no humidity, really perfect weather.  Unbelievable that we were the only ship in port until the 5th day when we finally saw a Princess ship.    That made for less crowds and traffic everywhere.  It was a great cruise for us as we did the Suite thing for the first time and enjoyed the meals in Luminae and Quisine.

Its the second year in a row we've done Summit in December.   It just seems like a great value to us at that time of the year.

The weather was PERFECT, wasn't it?! 🙂 Glad you enjoyed your cruise too! 

On 12/28/2018 at 5:28 PM, trivia addict said:

Glad you enjoyed the Summit. She is my favorite ship. Hope you spent some time at the Sunset Bar!

We will be on her again on Jan. 17, and then again, after her refurb, in May.

LOVE the Sunset Bar...one of our fave places!

On 12/29/2018 at 2:15 PM, I_r_a said:

Thanks for sharing

Ira

Thanks!

On 12/29/2018 at 7:38 PM, clskinsfan said:

Great review! We are on Summit in January 2020 for a Southern itinerary. Looking forward to having a great time as well.

Thanks...hope you have a great trip!

22 hours ago, greggrass said:

My husband Jeff and I are on the Summit on January 17th for a 12 night cruise with 10 ports. I just read through your blog. Thanks for writing! I look forward to the lamb 😊

Thanks! Have a wonderful cruise! 

1 hour ago, NorthCarolinaBelle said:

What a great review! Thanks so much!

Thank you!