Trip Review: Celebrity Summit - 8 Dec 2018 to 15 Dec 2018

journeycollector

Sunday, December 9 - St. Croix, USVI

Does anyone else sleep THE BEST on a ship? Because I do. A little gentle rocking and I'm asleep like a baby! 

We woke up to this beautiful view of St. Croix:

St. Croix, USVI

I was so busy at work this Fall that I didn't have time to do trip research (...and I'm a librarian, so I know ALL about research, hah!). So we ended up booking all of our shore excursions directly through Celebrity to save time. Overall, we were pleased with all of the picks we made. 

For St. Croix, we booked the "Panoramic Drive" tour. Here is the description: "Explore St. Croix’s historic, cultural, and natural sites on this exciting driving tour of the island. Marvel at St. Croix’s tropical beauty and captivating views as you make your way along the island. Learn about the cultural traditions of the islanders before arriving to the historical town of Christiansted. Browse the shops or enjoy a stroll over to the famous Fort Christiansted before departing to port.” Duration: 3.5 hrs.

Exiting the ship was super easy and we stood outside the pier at Frederiksted before being directed to a small shuttle bus. At no time did the tour feel crowded or rushed. We drove through the island, learned about the history and culture, and made a few stops along the way for pictures. 

St. Croix, USVI

St. Croix, USVI

The tour stopped in Christiansted where we had an hour to putter about. Because it was Sunday, almost everything was CLOSED. So if you have St. Croix as a Sunday port stop, I suggest booking a tour or making it a beach day. Otherwise there will be lots of closed shops. 

Christiansted

The tour dropped us off back at the port in Frederiksted. We got back on the ship to get a bite to eat at OVC. Then we exited the ship again to go out and see Frederiksted, walk down the beach by the pier, and pick up a few souvenirs from a couple of the shops that were open. Also saw some cool stilt walkers!

Frederiksted

Back to the beautiful Celebrity Summit!

Celebrity Summit

In the evening we went to the 7pm show featuring the Celebrity singers and dancers. The singers and dancers themselves are usually good, but we knock it because there's generally no plot to any of the performances...but at least we know that going in. I do like the aerialists, though!

After the show we walked down to the MDR at 8pm to get a table, but were given a buzzer and seated at 8:30pm. This was our last night of eating late. We called the dining line each day after to set reservations. For dinner, I had the Caesar salad (living dangerously, I guess!), the Mediterranean seafood orzo, and chocolate cake. I didn't care much for the seafood orzo...I love seafood, but most of this was chewy. B had the Waldorf chicken salad, the sirloin steak, and ice cream. He said the steak was chewy. So "chewy" must be the theme for the night. But hey, at least we didn't have to cook!

Also, we might have gone to the OVC later that night for a 2nd dessert. It will be our little secret! 🙂

1 hour ago, journeycollector said:

We ate in the MDR each night. Last year on Celebrity Equinox we had a 3-night specialty dining package and enjoyed it. This year, we were "cheapies" and just ate in the MDR, hah! 🙂 Actually, I would say we had good food most nights in the MDR...and with impeccable service. We ate in the Oceanview Cafe for breakfast and lunch. I liked it for a quick breakfast. Lunch could be hit or miss. Last year on Equinox I spotted yummy things right away in the buffet for lunch. This year on Summit I usually circled a couple times before "settling." Not awful by any means...but not stellar either. Food is ALWAYS subjective...so just my opinion. I tend not to be a picky eater. 

Thanks for letting me know.  Always good to have inside info.  Appreciate the help.

Thanks for the review and pics so far! I was just onboard. It's strange- it looks like they took lights down from the Grand Foyer. There were lights hanging from the ceiling of deck 5 down to 3. Unless they were just hanging on one side (where your picture didn't get,) but I thought they were on both.

I would agree that too much is closed in St. Croix on Sundays. I think they should stop there a different day of the week. I'm jealous you guys got Grenada until 6 PM. We had Barbados until 6, which I could do without. I was pleasantly surprised with Grenada. I could spend a lot more time there.

11 hours ago, CoconutOne said:

Thanks for the review and pics so far! I was just onboard. It's strange- it looks like they took lights down from the Grand Foyer. There were lights hanging from the ceiling of deck 5 down to 3. Unless they were just hanging on one side (where your picture didn't get,) but I thought they were on both.

I would agree that too much is closed in St. Croix on Sundays. I think they should stop there a different day of the week. I'm jealous you guys got Grenada until 6 PM. We had Barbados until 6, which I could do without. I was pleasantly surprised with Grenada. I could spend a lot more time there.

Loved Grenada too...the river tubing we did there was awesome!

Monday, December 10 - St. Maarten

So we were on the only cruise ship in port at Frederiksted, St. Croix and the luck continued to St. Maarten. Only cruise ship in port again!

After a quick breakfast in the OVC we made our way off the ship for our scheduled "beach day."

Here's the description of the shore excursion:

St. Maarten Beach Rendezvous - “Travel through the Dutch side of beautiful St. Maarten during this unforgettable day of fun, sun, and relaxation. Sit back and enjoy the narration given by the guide during your journey to Kim Sha Beach. Upon arrival, you'll be greeted with rum or fruit punch, as well as a lounge chair. Enjoy ample time to participate in a water sport, sunbathe or explore the stretch of beautiful white sand before heading to the beach restaurant for a delicious seaside lunch. On the way back into town, you will have the option to stop in Philipsburg for some leisurely shopping.” Duration: 4.5 hrs.

The chairs were included, as was lunch (choice of a bang-bang shrimp baguette, chicken breast, or grouper). We also purchased a shared umbrella for our 2 chairs for $4. 

The beach was not crowded at all. We all had front row seats. Kim Sha Beach on Simpson Bay is calm and has a very gradual drop-off. The first few feet in the water has sand/shell bits that are bit rough, but then it smooths right out and is quite nice!

Kim Sha beach, St. Maarten

Relaxing! (sorry about my feet)

The food at the beach bar was good and wifi was included. The place we were at is called the Greenhouse: http://www.thegreenhouserestaurant.com/greenhouse_simpson_bay.html 

Even though this was a Celebrity excursion, I didn't feel rushed. I felt we had ample time to enjoy the beach. The first few minutes we got there, we kept getting interrupted by vendors (foot massages, back rubs, jewelry, dresses)...but after the first 5-10 minutes they all left. 

On the way back on the shuttle bus, you had the option of being dropped off near downtown Philipsburg, or being taken back to the port shopping area. 

Scenic views

St. Maarten

Port shopping area

St. Maarten

After some port shopping, we got back on board the ship. 

Dining: We made reservations for the MDR for 5:45pm with all the other early birds! I'm totally blanking on what we had to eat with the exception of a Caesar salad starter...but I'm sure we finished our plates! And one correction: The night before I had braised beef ragout with gnocchi as my starter. It was one the best things I ate all week! Give me plates and plates of that and I would be a happy camper! 

After dinner, we went to a show. Not sure if it was supposed to be comedy or magic??? I think it's generally hard to combine the two, but it was pretty much awful. But like a bad car accident we just couldn't look away. The magician had one or two good tricks that we had seen on shows like America's Got Talent. 

Also if anyone was concerned about NOT finding seats in the Celebrity Theater, you need not be worried. Plenty of open seats each night. Sometimes whole rows. Not sure if that was due to the caliber of the entertainment (or lack thereof) or the port-intensive nature of this itinerary (e.g., everyone was tired and needed to rest up). 

One observation: MDR staff were enforcing the no-shorts rule for dinner. It's an easy rule to follow, but each night we saw people either unaware of the rule (although it's printed in the daily) or maybe they just wanted to see if anyone would notice. Staff did and they were kindly asked to put on some long pants.

Enjoying your informative review and beautiful photos!   DH and I will be visiting these same ports on the Summit in April; looking forward to hearing more about your experiences— thanks for taking the time to share! 

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Following along on your great blog.   Have fun.

44 minutes ago, cmsteach said:

Enjoying your informative review and beautiful photos!   DH and I will be visiting these same ports on the Summit in April; looking forward to hearing more about your experiences— thanks for taking the time to share! 

Thank you! 

Tuesday, December 11 - Dominica

I loved all of the ports of call, but Dominica and Grenada rank at the top for me. 

We woke and had breakfast in OVC: a bit of scrambled eggs, a slice of bacon, and some pineapple and cantaloupe and I'm good to go!

Caught some nice views of Rouseau, Dominica's capital on the way back from breakfast:

Roseau, Dominica

Roseau, Dominica

After meeting in the Celebrity Theater for our shore excursion we exited the ship and found our shuttle bus.

For today, we booked the "Dominica's Favorites" tour. Here's the description: "Set against a backdrop of lush forestry and exotic wildlife, this sightseeing tour through Morne Trois Pitons National Park showcases the incredible beauty of Dominica’s rainforest. Begin your adventure at Morne Bruce for a spectacular panoramic view over Roseau. Then, escape to Trafalgar Falls to discover the twin cascades known as the "mother" and "father". Continue to the Emerald Pool, a lush grotto replete with magnificent rock formations and exotic flora and fauna." Duration: 4.5 hrs. 

From the port, we made our way through Roseau's streets and up to a scenic viewpoint where we could see the ship.

Roseau, Dominica

Then it was on to the rainforest!

Tuesday, December 11 - Dominica: Trafalgar Falls & Emerald Pool

Up, up, up into the hills of Dominica we first visited the twin falls that is Trafalgar Falls. It's about a 10-minute walk from the park's parking lot. The views are outstanding. The whole area reminded us of our trip to Hawaii in 2015: lush forest, shades of green, and fresh air!

Trafalgar Falls, Dominica

Trafalgar Falls, Dominica

Here was our ride to the rainforest!

Our ride to the rainforest

We stopped at a roadside for some ginger-spiced punch and then it was on to Emerald Pool. It was another 10 minute walk or so. 

Emerald Pool

Those who wished could take a dip!

Emerald Pool

The scenery is outstanding and it was good to learn about Dominica's natural and cultural history. Then we were returned to Roseau where we did some souvenir shopping. 

Walking back on to the Celebrity Summit there was a picture perfect shot of the ship!

Docked in Dominica

That evening, we had dinner at 5:45pm in the MDR and later attended the "Chandelier" show in the Celebrity Theater. The story was a bit weird---something about a dilapidated, but once grand hotel that came to life and actress whose employee ended up being her long lost daughter...but at least there was a plot. 

Because this is such a port intensive itinerary, after dinner and the entertainment, we really just need a good night's sleep to prep for the next adventure!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, journeycollector said:

Relaxing! (sorry about my feet)

Your feet have tan lines.   :classic_biggrin:

And…….How can you eat A slice of bacon.    I don't have that kind of self control.

Really enjoying the trip report.   Great mix of story telling and pictures.

15 hours ago, zdad59 said:

Your feet have tan lines.   :classic_biggrin:

And…….How can you eat A slice of bacon.    I don't have that kind of self control.

Really enjoying the trip report.   Great mix of story telling and pictures.

Hah! If I didn't live in Wisconsin, I'd be wearing my flip flops full time! 

...and ok, maybe is was slices of bacon. 🙂

• Haha 1

Oh, we also learned how to correctly pronounce some of the islands we were visiting:

1. Dominica: I always thought you pronounced it similar to the Dominican Republic. The correct way to say Dominica is like doh-mee-NEE-cuh. So more of a French pronunciation. 

2. Grenada: I had always pronounced it like gra-na-da. It's gra-NAY-da

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Wednesday, December 12 - Grenada 

We're on to port #4. We awoke to this beautiful view docked at St. George's, the capital of Grenada. Again, we lucked out: 4 for 4 on being the only cruise ship in port!

Grenada

After breakfast in OVC we met our tour group, exited the pier and boarded our shuttle. Today's adventure was river tubing.

Here's the description for "Adventure River Tubing"Channel your inner adventurer as you explore Grenada's rainforest on a river tube. A scenic drive through the hilly interior of the Grand Etang Rainforest Reserve brings you to the launch site at the Balthazar Estate. After a safety briefing, you'll gear up to embark on your journey down the river. Spin and swirl in the currents as you gently glide down the tranquil waters. After, you'll be treated to rum punch or fruit juice. Duration: 3 hrs.

The shuttle bus wound us up through the hills of Grenada and into the rainforest. After arriving at the river tubing site, we suited up with life jackets and helmets and got our inner tube. They recommend water shoes. If you don't have them, you can rent them there. I wore my flips flops and was a-ok. I had wanted to bring my smartphone along on the journey, but it's not recommended unless you have a way to keep it dry.

You'll get plenty wet. In fact, we were soaked! But it was an absolute blast. The river tubing team did a great job of keeping us together as a group. There are a few couple feet drops here and there and some rocks to dodge, but otherwise it's nothing too difficult. Just hold on to the inner tube and follow instructions! 

The water was "refreshing" (read, cold) and there are no creep-crawlies in there that I was aware of!

Here's the river tubing site. 

River tubing in Grenada

Then the bus came and picked us up at the end location on the river. We made the way back to St. George's while we got a little history and culture of the spice isle and got to see nutmeg, cinnamon, and more in its natural habitat. 

After getting back into St. George's, we went back on the ship to grab a quick lunch at OVC and then did some more exploring. 

After exiting the port terminal, if you turn right you will see the Sendall Tunnel. The steps to the right of it will take you up to Fort George where you can get some great views. 

St. George's, Grenada

We thought Fort George was a "historic" fort, but it appears to still be in use despite its decayed look? There were some barracks with people, a gym, and a dining area presumably for military. 

Fort George

I like this shot...looks like Celebrity Summit is about to take a hit!

Fort George

Picturesque St. George's

St. George's, Grenada

We did a little souvenir shopping and walked around St. George's. Dinner in the MDR must not have been memorable, but I didn't have any complaints either.

The night's big entertainment was The Filharmonic - a group of Filipino-American acapella singers. They were great...and a highlight of the week. 

Edited by journeycollector
  • Like 1

Thursday, December 13 - Barbados

Island #5. We woke up to an old friend - the Crown Princess - the ship that took us on our first cruise. This was the only port of call where we experienced another cruise ship in port. 

An old friend...

After breakfast in OVC we exited the ship and followed the lines through the port terminal for ship excursions. Today, was a beach day. Here's the description:

"Barbados Beach Break": Unwind, relax, and explore the palm-fringed beach, warm white sand, and breathtaking turquoise waters of Harbour Lights. Your journey begins with a scenic drive through the historic capital of Bridgetown. Admire the parliament buildings and iconic landmarks. Then, arrive at Harbour Lights and receive a complimentary welcome drink. Relax on a beach chair under the shade of an umbrella. Access the facility’s many amenities, including changing rooms and showers. Bring your own snorkel gear and explore the shipwrecks in the protected bay. Or, work on your tan and bask in the sun. Duration: 3.5 hrs.

Yes, I know we could have taken a taxi to Harbour Lights, but we just decided to book everything through Celebrity and not have to worry about anything. 

The shuttle bus took us through Bridgetown and over to Harbour Lights on Carlisle Bay. Wow, what a great beach! The sand was like sugar...super soft. 

It's gonna be a good day!

Barbados - beach time

The water was so clear!

Barbados - beach day

Barbados - beach day

This beach was perfect for us! After some swimming and sunning, the bus took us back to the port area. We did some souvenir shopping. I could get used to a Caribbean Christmas!

Christmas greetings from Barbados

Barbados

Dinner in the MDR was good. I had the scallops Rockefeller, the Celebrity Lobster Melange, and the Baked Alaska. B had the prosciutto and arugula salad, the Celebrity Lobster Melange, and the Baked Alaska.

The night's show in the Celebrity Theater was "Life" with the Celebrity singers and dances. I swear the cruise director introduced it as "just like life, there is no plotline" or something to that effect. That made us laugh! Has this show been around for awhile? I thought I saw it last year on Equinox, or maybe it was just something similar? 

Edited by journeycollector
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, journeycollector said:

Oh, we also learned how to correctly pronounce some of the islands we were visiting:

1. Dominica: I always thought you pronounced it similar to the Dominican Republic. The correct way to say Dominica is like doh-mee-NEE-cuh. So more of a French pronunciation. 

2. Grenada: I had always pronounced it like gra-na-da. It's gra-NAY-da

As long as it wasn't Asbury Park!  [Cue Sinatra...]

• Haha 1

The daily for Barbados is awfully sparse on activities. I don't think I kept it from my sailing, but I don't recall it every being that empty.

3 weeks later, and I'm still finding sand from Carlisle!I agree that the sand and water are beautiful, but boy, the sand is sticky! I also didn't like how boats came right to shore. I saw a couple close encounters between boats and swimming. If I end up back in Barbados, I'll probably book and excursion. The people there are very pushy, IMO.