HAL vs. Regent

FeliciaLee

We literally have nothing bad to say about either cruise line, so this won't be one of those flame inducing threads (I pray).

We have taken nine cruises with HAL, from six day variations up to a three week full transit Panama Canal. We have sailed from the lowest inside cabin up to the highest Neptune suite. There is something unbelievably wonderful about HAL and I can only describe it as the food and the service. Although on our first cruise, we were only in our early 30's and everyone thought we were crew (average age was 78), including the crew, which one time seated us in the employee side of the buffet, we kept going back because we love it so much.

Yes, I do think that HAL does some things under par, but for the vast majority of things considered, we are huge HAL fans.

Earlier this month we took our first Regent cruise. Yes, it was wonderful, too. All things considered, HAL wins out, but only because we are much more interested in the bigger cabins with the huge TV's, vast selection of programs and free dry cleaning than we are the free airfare, free tours, free liquor and free premium restaurants.

If anyone wants specifics on the comparisons between the two cruise lines, I will be happy to provide them.

Merry Christmas!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, EngSet said:

Hi, FeliciaLee- Thanks for posting---food and dining comparisons would be of interest. Thanks!

No problem!

The food does win out overall on Regent. Not all meals were winners, but the vast selection and quality was available every meal (vs. once or twice on HAL unless one dines in Pinnacle).

I tried the rack of lamb several times and it was just okay (I'm not a big meat eater, plus I got them well done, so my hubby said it was my fault, not theirs). The crab legs were fantastic. My hubby loved his steaks so much that he got the same cut the last three nights in a row.

The Dover Sole on Regent was incredible.

I thought the osso buco was definitely better on HAL than Regent, but this might be due to getting it in the alternative Italian restaurant. The way it was prepared was definitely underwhelming for me.

The only time I saw caviar served was for breakfast! That was a big disappointment. Caviar in the morning isn't for us.

The steak restaurant (Prime 7) seemed on par with the Pinnacle.

Room service was much better on Regent, and much faster. The selection was huge, the table was big and food could be served course by course from any restaurant if desired.

The muesli is a huge favorite with us, and it wasn't nearly as good on Regent as HAL. Nor did they have the Pan Asian breakfast which I have come to love.

Coffee on both lines is good. Regent wins out when it comes to "regular" coffee, but their espresso machines in the room were horrible, whereas on HAL the in-room espresso is decent. Regent does have a special in the coffee shop called Cafe Vanilla, which is espresso, a tiny bit of black tea and Madagascar Vanilla, which is a new favorite of mine and something I am going to continue at home.

The desserts were about equal to me, but I'm not into sweets as much as my husband, and the ice cream was MUCH better on HAL (I think this was due to the ice cream shop being outdoors on Regent, which meant it was always melted and gross).

My hubby would probably have a ton more to say about how the food on Regent was vastly better than the food on HAL but I am not really into meat much, so to me the two lines were comparable other than the premium foods being always available on Regent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1