Norway - Still Cruising The Troll Fjord?

Doubt It

Happy Boxing Day Viking Cruise CC Members!

We are contemplating our first Viking cruise.

Our household is interested in Norway. But - I can not find an itinerary that includes the beloved Troll Fjord.

One of our party is a Geologist and this is very important.

May I ask your assistance please - are there any itineraries in 2020 or 2021?

Thank you kindly for your expertise!

Midnight Sun. One of the ports is near Trollfjord (Lofoten). I did not see a Trollfjord shorex on the Viking website but I did see information about companies in Lofoten that offer trips up the fjord on Trip Advisor --and even these tours are very weather dependent.

Viking vessels do not usually sail down the fjord as it takes a convergence of perfect weather factors to make it possible with such a large vessel--and they don't converge quite as often as the cruise lines would like to bet on. The turnaround at the far end of the fjord is very tight. I know that Viking Sea was given permission to do it once in 2016, because it happened when we were on board. It was such an unusual event that everything on board, dinner included, stopped while guests and crew alike stood along the rails watching--and the whole event was filmed. The far end of the the fjord is barely wide enough for the ship to make a three point turn. And, yes, it was an amazing hour.

In short, even if you find an itinerary that promises Trollfjord, you stand a good chance of being disappointed.

We were on Midnight Sun in 2018 and there were no optional excursions to the Trollfjiord.  In fact, our time is port (Leknes) was pretty short and the since it was a Saturday, everything shuttered fairly early.  I don't know that a private excursion would even have been possible.

• 5 years later...
On 12/26/2018 at 5:59 PM, Peregrina651 said:

Midnight Sun. One of the ports is near Trollfjord (Lofoten). I did not see a Trollfjord shorex on the Viking website but I did see information about companies in Lofoten that offer trips up the fjord on Trip Advisor --and even these tours are very weather dependent.

Viking vessels do not usually sail down the fjord as it takes a convergence of perfect weather factors to make it possible with such a large vessel--and they don't converge quite as often as the cruise lines would like to bet on. The turnaround at the far end of the fjord is very tight. I know that Viking Sea was given permission to do it once in 2016, because it happened when we were on board. It was such an unusual event that everything on board, dinner included, stopped while guests and crew alike stood along the rails watching--and the whole event was filmed. The far end of the the fjord is barely wide enough for the ship to make a three point turn. And, yes, it was an amazing hour.

In short, even if you find an itinerary that promises Trollfjord, you stand a good chance of being disappointed.

im watching the viking sea special on paramount now. i googled to see what viking ships go in this fjord, ran into this post, and kinda disappointing they dont go there anymore. will have to research other fjords 🙂

3 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

im watching the viking sea special on paramount now. i googled to see what viking ships go in this fjord, ran into this post, and kinda disappointing they dont go there anymore. will have to research other fjords 🙂

As I said, it was never a regular feature on the Viking itineraries; it is so dependent on perfectly calm wind and sea that it would be cancelled more often than not  -- and that does not make for happy guests. Even the shore excursion companies that send RIBs and the like up the fjord have a high cancellation rate.

When they did it in 2016, it was not planned; in fact it was very last minute. It was the second time that Viking was doing the itinerary and there were corporate VIPs on board. The seas were flat, no wind at all. Permission was sought from the authorities and a pilot brought in. We were all aware that this was a very, very special detour that we were taking

It was a one-off detour from the planned itinerary, possibly spurred by the newness of the Norwegian-flagged cruise line. We were in the fjord for less than an hour -- sailed in turned around and sailed out.  It was so unusually that even the nonessential crew was permitted to leave their stations and join the guests ogling the view.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wine-wine-wine said:

Another option to see a very large amount of the Norwegian coast would be https://www.havilavoyages.com/

DW and I have opted for Viking instead as we need a less active and more predictable option. Ten years ago we probably would have opted for Havila. 

Also Hurtigruten, which “shares” departures with Havila. Great 13 day round trip itineraries if you have the time. We have done it a few times( a few years ago)….always see and do something different.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, pavementends said:

Years ago I took Hurtigruten up the coast and they did go into Trollfjord. I don't know if that is a regular part of the trip.

It is in summer, or at keast was when I was last on Hurtigruten pre covid.  I have done the whole coastal journey in both summer and 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2024 at 10:33 AM, janetcbl said:

Also Hurtigruten, which “shares” departures with Havila. Great 13 day round trip itineraries if you have the time. We have done it a few times( a few years ago)….always see and do something different.

i took a cursory look at both cruise websites.   definitely a different style of cabins and i think only one has fridges in it, watched a youtube vid. but the idea of going where the big ships go is enticing. also, since both of these cruise lines meet the rules, my understanding is that we dont have to rush to get a cruise in next year vs the big cruise lines.

14 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

definitely a different style of cabins and i think only one has fridges in it, watched a youtube vid. but the idea of going where the big ships go is enticing

There are many threads about both in the “Other Cruise lines” forum. I have found these helpful. 

• Like 1