Montego Bay

FreudianSlipper

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

How was the Rose Hill excursion? We'll be in MoBay next week and thinking about doing Rose Hill. I'm 66 and walk with a cane. I've heard there are a LOT of steps and stairs at Rose Hill. Will I have a problem, in your opinion? Thanks for any advice. Rose Hill is about the only excursion we're interested in.

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/24/2019 at 11:20 AM, TNShadyLady said:

How was the Rose Hill excursion? We'll be in MoBay next week and thinking about doing Rose Hill. I'm 66 and walk with a cane. I've heard there are a LOT of steps and stairs at Rose Hill. Will I have a problem, in your opinion? Thanks for any advice. Rose Hill is about the only excursion we're interested in.

I'm interested in this also. I have the same concerns...my knees don't handle stairs well...LOL

I should have come back and updated this. We did the Rose Hall excursion without too much trouble. We were transported there in an air-conditioned van with a very friendly driver and a female guide who pointed out a few places of interest on the way.

The house itself is not handicap-accessible, but for the most part there are handrails or walls or something to lend a bit of support. The house guide was super accommodating as soon as she saw my cane, allowing me to sit whenever possible.

The inside stairs were not too difficult if you take your time. Luckily the guide gave her spiels in the different areas and we were able to explore a bit at our own pace, without rushing. So I took my time and made it fine.

However, it was HOT! Jamaica in early July is hot enough, as you can imagine, and they had all the windows of Rose Hall open to the cool breezes, but it wasn't enough. Everyone was drenched by the time it was over.

Nevertheless, for the price it was a decent little excursion. Didn't see any ghosts. 🙂  But being a history buff, just being able to walk through a house that has stood there for nearly 200 years was something of a treat in itself.

Next time, I think we might hire a driver and do the Cinnamon Hill tour. It's only a few miles from Rose Hall and has a long history too, having once belonged to the family of Elizabeth Barret Browning and most recently Johnny and June Carter Cash. It supposedly has been left exactly as it was when Johnny and June lived there.

Edited by TNShadyLady

• 4 months later...