***** Qm2 July 3/2006

GRIFFITH1

Thank you, Jonathan, for organizing the gathering. I should have thanked you in my first posting.

By the way, njguy_south's name is Robert (me).

Did you know that Celebrity Cruise Line actually hosts groups meeting through CruiseCritic.com? John and I were on a Bermuda cruise, and there was an organized meeting with food and drinks. Additionally, Celebrity also gave each of us a special "Celebrity Cruise Critic" pin for the occasion.

I hope to see you all onboard, unless Cunard does not find me a cabin and leaves me at the pier. (I have done a web-search, and Cunard has done that to passengers before -- overbooked and not had enough cabin space to accom. paid passengers. I cannot believe they have chosen to operate in that way!)

Sincerely,

Robert

Hi July 3rd crew,

I just wanted to say that we are disappointed not to be meeting with you all on Monday at 10:00. Hope you all have a great cruise and look forward to the chance to be on another sailing with you.

Maybe someone can write about the July 3rd cruise on these boards so that I can read about your adventures :)

Deb and Adam

Hi All,

T MINUS 8 days and counting till thee Queen of the Seas return to her berth in Brooklyn, NY.

Before writing further, it is with deep sadness to see GLOBAL G leaving our listing and cruise so close to the date. We wish your alternate voyage to be a happy experience and like this cruise, there are many, many Cruise Critics joining and greeting you.

A Short Pre Cruise Review of the Thread:

After completing my local church's schedule this morning and having time on this most rainy day in NYC, I decided to sitdown and review this complete thread from it start to now and review how this cruise developed.

Reading the first entry entered on Jan. 15th, 2006, I saw how the excitement started to develop with each entry there after. Watching day by day the different names of CC's appearing and proclaiming those famous words "We Have Just Booked The Cruise!" Also viewing those entries I saw the additional information available, where everyone was heading from both Brooklyn, NY, Westchester and beyond (North, South and West).

Also taking command of the thread, organizing and leading us together till we board and all meet, Cruiseking - Thank You! Then we all started to watch and wonder the development and construction of this strange place called the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal in RedHook, Brooklyn, NY. RedHook??

Where is it, what is it and how to you get there? What happened to Manhattan? We started to read unusal reports "Will they finish it in time?" But Why? We also were distracted with the directions, transportation and who will get us there (ex. Limo, Cabs, Buses etc....).

We also wondered about another topic that I hope has been solved. How many formal and informal nights will there be? Why is everyone getting another different answer especially from Cunard themselves? But we decided to talk together about other interesting topics like "What should we wear at the Red, White & Blue Ball and also the Black & White Ball". But sometimes we did get back to the transportation issues even to this day. But my wife has her ball fashions and my tux ready. "Will there be a special night for Capt. Warwick on this cruise?" July 4th being the Anniversary of the Cunard Line "Will there be a special celebration for that?" We had the opportunity to be on a Panama Canal Cruise on the QE2 during the 150th Annv and it was great!

Again, day by day more and more CC's joined the listing and the numbers grew with the same anticipation as the first few days. We posted ours on Feb 10th with the same excitement. Through out all the postings, GRIFFITH1 showed such excitement and was ready to leave the next day if she could have.

Imagine we are all gathering from every different part of the states NY, Texas, Va, Fla, NC, RI, La, PA, GA and NJ to name a few. Even some are accompanying us from as far as England and the Bahama's. All age ranges and all with various experiences of cruising proudly posted in our Signatures, even with more cruises to come. Groups as small as 1 person to up to 14 people+. Even celebrating Wedding Anniversaries, Birthdays and even First Time Cruising especially with Cunard or on the QM2.

Luggage bags are spread out in homes, Shore Tour packages are being reviewed and thoughts of "How to leave the calories at home" are being figured out. All are hoping we will see the Fireworks in Boston on July 4th with the ship leaving 10PM and the Show starting about 10:30PM. We have faith that Cunard will resolve this problem.

Also, "Will we beable to see the WHOLE SHIP in 4-5 days with all that ground to cover?" She's BIG! How do we learn the layout and see it all?

But, on July 3rd about 10PM there will be a gathering of about 60+ and more people on the 9th Deck of the QM2 in the Commodore Club. Many meeting for the first time and others having met in the past. "What does Cruiseking look like?" and "Who is ESLO?". "Who are all of Us?" "What part of the Club are we all located at?" We will eventually meet and greet each other and also toast each other to a "Healthy, Exciting and Restful Voyage" We will also remember those that were unable to join us and wish them Godspeed!

It was a pleasure to review this thread and to read all the excitement behind it. After cruising for over 25 years, and joining Cruise Critics in recent years, it will be a pleasure to attend our first Meet & Greet. Cruise Critic's are a very important group of people within the Cruising Industry.

Till next time.......

Regards,

:) ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

Hi Cruiseking,

While reviewing the thread this weekend I found one of the CC's that is missing off the listing. I don't think they cancelled but haven't been heard from since 3/17/06. They were on one of your earlier listings.

Ribble From Chicago Burbs (Judy & Rich).

Just helping you keep a complete listing of all CC's.

One week from now we will all be aboard and about this time (10:07) the gathering is taking place in the Commodore Club. This would not be without all your help.

Once again, T H A N K Y O U !!!!!

Till next time.....

Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

Originally Posted by njguy south

Thank you, Jonathan, for organizing the gathering.

Your welcome Robert. Look forward to meeting you and John in 6 days.

Originally Posted by Susietb

Hi CruiserKing et all. Would love to join your gathering. Just booked today.

Met you and Elaine on the Mariner's Carribean last March.

Can't wait.

Hi Susie, Yes I remember you as well from last March. We had a great turn out for that Cruise Critics Gathering, looks like we have a banner bash brewing for next Monday night. See you then.

Originally Posted by ESLO

While reviewing the thread this weekend I found one of the CC's that is missing off the listing.

Thanks for that ESLO, good pickup, not to mention great review of the thread. I've seen voyage reviews and journals, but never a thread critique, perhaps you'll start a new trend.

Queen Mary 2 - July 3, 2006 -

Independence Weekend Traveling Cruise Critics

Griffith1- Linda

Betsy's Mom - Bonnie & John

Cleacat - Sue & Katie

Travelgals - Carol

Cruiserking/Cq6 - Jonathan & Elene, Joe, Stu & Linda

Atticus - Revell & Chris

Eslo - Bev & Ed - Lottie & Stanley

sdb1s - Sam & Ivy

Bill and Ray - Ray and Bill

ljs0928 - Linda & Nancy

Malinda1229 - Malinda & Mia

jyoung - Lee & Rindy - John & Julie

Ribble - Judy & Rich

CruiseShelly - Shelly

Sab490 - Steve & Norma

2Cruisers in Georgia - Ed & Wanda

Bexxma

Andiamo - Jeanne & Michael

Cml3 - Carol & Albert

JJ Hootie & Friends

Msk68 - Morrie, Glenn, Anne & Mom

NJGuy South - Robert & John

Susietb - Susie

See you in 6 days!

Jonathan

looks like we have a banner bash brewing for next Monday night. See you then.

See you in 6 days!

Jonathan

Dear Jonathan,

It was a pleasure to assist you. This thread is made up of many interesting and experienced people which will make it a special gathering.

WOW, you have some group. Next Monday evening your new title will be Cruise Critic Bash Coordinator. You have work cut out that evening. But we will toast to your efforts.

We are expected to board at 12:30PM and we hope that Redhook has their act together as we are use to Manhattan after all these years.

Till we meet personally,

Regards,

:) ESLO - Ed S.

Hi All,

Via webcam, QM2 preping to leave in the next several hours from Southampton back to the US for Our Trip.

Hey, Those On Board Now-

Take good care of the Queen for us on her crossing!

Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

HI ALL , CAN YOU BELIEVE IT 'S LESS THAN A WEEK !:D

ELSO ,

YOUR RECAP OF HOW OUR POSTS HAVE DEVELOPED IN PAST MONTHS WAS VERY INTERESTING TO READ . I HAD TO LAUGH A LITTLE AT WHAT YOU HAD TO SAY ABOUT MY POSTS . YOU WERE CORRECT . I WOULD HAVE BEEN READY TO LEAVE IMMEDIATELY AFTER BOOKING THE CRUISE . I ENJOYED READING YOUR REVIEW VERY MUCH . THANK YOU .

WE PACKED THIS WEEKEND SO WE ARE NOW READY TO START THIS ADVENTURE . WE LEAVE THIS FRIDAY MORNING FOR HOUSTON SO WE HAD TO BE READY A LITTLE EARLY. NOW I CAN JUST RELAX ABOUT THE PACKING AND HOPE I HAVE EVERYTHING WE NEED . IF NOT , I'M SURE WE CAN PURCHASE WHATEVER IT IS THAT WE CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT . I DO NOT LIKE TO DRAG AROUND SO MUCH LUGGAGE SO I TRY TO HOLD IT DOWN TO ONE CHECKED BAG AND ONE CARRY ON .

I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO THE RED,WHITE AND BLUE BALL . I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED CELEBRATING THE 4TH . I HOPE CUNARD HAS WORKED OUT OUR TIME LINE FOR THE FIREWORKS AND ACTIVITIES ON THE SHIP . I'M SURE THEY ARE WORKING ON THAT OVERBOOKING PROBLEM RIGHT NOW .

I REALLY HOPE THE WEATHER IMPROVES FOR US . WE HAVE BEEN WATCHING THE REPORTS ON THE FLOODING . THE WEATHER WILL CERTAINLY DICTATE OUR PLANS FOR THE EXCURSIONS . WE HAVE BEEN REVIEWING OUR CHOICES OF EXCURSIONS FOR EACH PORT . MY MOM NOT BEING ABLE TO WALK A LOT , WE ARE CHOOSING THE ONES WITH EASY WALKING SYMBOLS . WE HAVE NOT YET DECIDED ON ONE FOR HALIFAX . THERE ARE SO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM THAT IT MAKES IT MORE DIFFICULT .

IN THE PAST , WE HAVE BOOKED OUR EXCURSIONS ON-LINE WEEKS IN ADVANCE OF OUR CRUISES WITH ROYAL CARIBBEAN . WHICH KEEPS YOU FROM WAITING IN LINE ON THE SHIP . OUR EXCURSION TICKETS WOULD BE WAITING IN THE CABIN WHEN WE BOARD . THIS IS NEW FOR US TO WAIT SO LONG TO MAKE THE DECISIONS ON THESE EXCURSIONS . I WAS WONDERING ABOUT HOW THIS ALL TAKES PLACE ON THE QUEEN MARY 2 .

SOUNDS LIKE WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A FULL LOAD OF PASSENGERS FOR THIS CRUISE . THAT SHOULD MAKE FOR A GREAT CELEBRATION FOR THE 4TH . MY MOM IS ALREADY COMPLAINING ABOUT HAVING TO GET OFF THE SHIP AND NOT GO ON WHEREVER SHE IS GOING . SHE WAS ON QE IN 1981 FOR TWO WEEKS AND LOVED IT .

I GUESS WE NEVER DID COME UP WITH ANYTHING TO SHOW THAT WE ARE FROM CC FOR OUR MONDAY NIGHT BASH ...... I'M SURE WE WILL KNOW EACH OTHER SINCE THERE WILL BE SUCH A LARGE NUMBER OF US . WE WILL BE THE ONES WEARING THE BIG GRINS . :D

LINDA G.

One minor correction, there will be 5 of us traveling

Glenn, Morrie (msk68), Anne (mom) Logan and Brad (sons)

Look forward to meeting everyone on Monday night!

Hi Everybody!! One week from today and we will all be celebrating the 4th of July -- from Dawn's early light to Twilight's last gleaming -- My sister is a CSI in Fayetteville, N.C. and she will be attending a Crime Scene Investigators Convention in Boston next week. We plan to meet for lunch on the 4th at Ned Devines - The Boston Harborfest winner for the best clam chowder for 2004 and 2005. Looking forward to that too.

Most of all, I really really hope we can see the fireworks. I have to admit, that is really what got me excited about this trip and made me want to book it.

Ed & Bev, Thanks so much for the recap. We really enjoyed reading it and seeing the picture from the webcam. We checked it yesterday and all we could see was a black screen. Does that mean it was dark?:confused:

JDGGG - Sorry no 20s or 30s here -- We're grandparents that are 20 or 30 in our mines.;)

See y'all soon!!

Griffith1- Linda

Cleacat - Sue & Katie

Travelgals - Carol

Atticus - Revell & Chris

sdb1s - Sam & Ivy

ljs0928 - Linda & Nancy

Ribble - Judy & Rich

CruiseShelly - Shelly

Sab490 - Steve & Norma

Bexxma

Cml3 - Carol & Albert

JJ Hootie & Friends

Msk68 - Morrie, Glenn, Anne, Logan & Brad

Susietb - Susie

JDGGG

Hi Everybody!! One week from today and we will all be celebrating the 4th of July -- from Dawn's early light to Twilight's last gleaming.

Ditto! John Adams Rocks!! 1776-My Favorite Movie.

Plan lunch on the 4th at Ned Devines - The Boston Harborfest winner for the best clam chowder for 2004 and 2005.

We are planning a Seafood/Lobster Lunch after walking around Bar Harbor. Try that REAL seafood from New England.

Most of all, I really really hope we can see the fireworks. I have to admit, that is really what got me excited about this trip and made me want to book it.

According to information I reviewed, We are suppose to leave at 10PM. The Boston Pops Show goes from 10PM to 11PM nationwide on CBS-TV. I watch it every year and the Fireworks normally start about 10:30-40PM. Unless the QM2 will back down the Harbor by the Charles River Bridge. I did this same cruise on the QE2 and we did the same thing.

We checked (Webcam) yesterday and all we could see was a black screen. Does that mean it was dark?:confused:

Yes, that is when they are in nightime. Remember, they are 5 hours ahead of us in UK.

JDGGG - Sorry no 20s or 30s here -- We're grandparents that are 20 or 30 in our mines.;)

Cruisin makes you young at heart. We are all one family going the same places and the same direction. We feel older when the voyage is over.

Pray to the Weather Fairy for beautiful weather. Rain, Flood Warnings, New Depressions...come on.....

Regards,

:eek: ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

You can find out more about Boston's 4th of July celebration here:

http://www.july4th.org

The F-16 flyover should be audible, if not visible, from the Harbor. That will happen around 8pm.

You might want to think about bring a small radio with you. I don't know what's available onboard, but the fireworks are set to music that will be simulcast on local television channel 4 (WBZ), the CBS television network, and AM radio 1030 (WBZ-AM). The fireworks show starts around 10pm.

WBZ will also carry the Boston Pops concert between 8-10pm.

Bill

For those of you who want to explore Boston, here's a link to the Black Falcon Terminal's web page (which Massport is now calling Cruiseport Boston):

http://www.massport.com/ports/cruis.html

This includes information about the shuttle buses that run from the terminal to the different "tourist" locations in Boston.

A word of caution: the 4th of July in Boston is really busy, especially in the Back Bay neighborhood near the Charles River where the concert and fireworks will be that night. If you guys really do have a 10pm sail time out of Boston, you need to pay attention to how long it will take you to get back to the ship.

Bill

Hello all:

Just found this forum and thought I'd post a reply. I am one of the Special Interest Lecturers for this cruise (for the sea day on the 7th). If your group would indulge me, I'd be very pleased to join you at your departure gathering at the Commodore Club.

I am taking my mother along as my guest on this particular cruise, and in addition to meeting what sounds like a great group of people, I thought your gathering would be a nice way to get her into the "cruising spirit". She has never cruised before (except a Dixieland-style river cruise), and given the size of this beast it might be good for her to see a familiar face or two during the cruise.

Hope to see you all next week,

Don MacPherson

Welcome Aboard JDGGG, Don & Mum!

We would love to have you join us at our little shindig Monday night at the Commodore Club. What will you be lecturing about?

Griffith1- Linda

Cleacat - Sue & Katie

Travelgals - Carol

Atticus - Revell & Chris

sdb1s - Sam & Ivy

ljs0928 - Linda & Nancy

Ribble - Judy & Rich

CruiseShelly - Shelly

Sab490 - Steve & Norma

Bexxma

Cml3 - Carol & Albert

JJ Hootie & Friends

Msk68 - Morrie, Glenn, Anne, Logan & Brad

Susietb - Susie

JDGGG

MaritimeLectures - Don & Mum

See you all in 5 days!

Jonathan

Hello all:

Just found this forum and thought I'd post a reply. I am one of the Special Interest Lecturers for this cruise (for the sea day on the 7th). If your group would indulge me, I'd be very pleased to join you at your departure gathering at the Commodore Club.

I am taking my mother along as my guest on this particular cruise, and in addition to meeting what sounds like a great group of people, I thought your gathering would be a nice way to get her into the "cruising spirit". She has never cruised before (except a Dixieland-style river cruise), and given the size of this beast it might be good for her to see a familiar face or two during the cruise.

Hope to see you all next week,

Don MacPherson

Dear MartimeLectures (Don),

Welcome onboard the "beast". She is very big, huh!

Our CC Roll Call Leader for this voyage is Cruiseking (Jonathan).

Could you inform us at this time on what subject you would be speaking on? I know there are many activities and the programme sheets are quite extensive on the QM2.

Many have been on the Mary before and quite a number of us are First Timers.

It would be a pleasure to meet you and your guest at the gathering and/or your lecture session.

Till next time.......

Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

Thanks for the nice welcome. I'm assuming that Cunard would have no problem with me posting the topics, so I have appended the lecture descriptions and bio that was prepared for the cruise.

One additional question - what is the real story with the R,W&B and B&W balls? Dates? Formal (i.e., tux) or not? I'm probably more out of the loop than you, as I pick up my package on board.

Regards,

Don

HAL (5+, can't remember...)

Princess (1)

NCL (1)

Radisson (now Regent) (4)

Silversea (2)

Others I'm sure I'm missing...

=====

1. Ships of the 21st Century - Bigger, Faster and Out of Sight

What will a cruise ship look like in coming decades and beyond? What about cargo ships and naval vessels? This presentation offers insight and speculation on what we will expect to see of boats and ships in the future - and some of it is right out of science fiction.

2. Starboard Is Not Always Right

Ever wonder what that "bulby-thing" is under the front of the ship? What are all those things with odd names - like plimsol, starboard and wake? "Three sheets to the wind" isn't about bed linen, and you never want to get "between the devil and the deep blue sea". Learn the answers to these and other questions about boats and ships, as well as many of the maritime references that make up our English conversation.

BIO

Donald MacPherson is an internationally recognized figure in the maritime industry. As Technical Director of a engineering consultancy he co-founded 20 years ago, Mr. MacPherson is regarded as one of the foremost experts in the performance of marine vehicles. He has been a principal technical consultant for numerous special projects, such as the "Around the World in 80 Days" campaign, novel energy reducing control systems for U.S. Coast Guard cutters, and Dennis Conner's 1995 America's Cup campaign.

Mr. MacPherson is a graduate of the elite Webb Institute of Naval Architecture, with supplemental education from Harvard Graduate School of Design. He is a 25 year member of the Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineering, and is also active in the American Society of Naval Engineers and various other professional societies.

Mr. MacPherson shares his experiences with university students as Instructor of Naval Architecture at the University of New Hampshire, and as advisor to various industry trade groups. He is also a frequent author and speaker on maritime subjects to both technical and civic audiences, making maritime topics accessible and interesting.

Original Post by JDGGG

"I was just wondering if there was anyone in there 20s-30s going on the July 3rd cruise on the QM2. Let me know!!!"

Yes there is I am going and I am in my 30s. So all hope is not lost maybe there will be others.

Archived