Pointe de Bout Beach during Easter Holiday Time

leeleemarie

Hi, will be in Martinique on Thurs, April 13th (day before Good Friday). From reading other posts, I know that everything is closed on Good Friday, no meat dishes or alcohol is served...but I would like to know if the day before has any restrictions???

From all the other posts, we decided to go to Pointe de Bout, Anse Mitan beach area to sun, swim & snorkel around Sofitel Bakoua or Kalenda hotels... which has better snorkeling & which is more friendly for renting chairs, umbrella & buying snacks, drinks from their bar??? Any public changing area/restroom available here??? Understand these hotels may charge for ammenity usage, don't mind that, just want to be aware of what to expect, as I don't speak French.

Thanks,

Le Anne

I don't know wich hotel provide the best snorkeling. Do you bring your equipment? As for amenities, they both offer the same thing. Be careful, the kalenda resort should be closed for renovation... they first say April, now I hear June... Anyway, Kalenda and Bakoua are side by side.

To eat or have a drink, you can eat at the hotel bar and restaurant but why not trying the marina. Look on the web to see the hotels :

http://www.kalendaresort-hotels.com/scripts/pdb/accueil/

http://www.accorhotels.com/accorhotels/fichehotel/gb/sof/resort/0968/fiche_services.shtml

Thanks for the websites....the virtual tours were great...it looks like the beach area in front of Sofitel appear to be bigger, so that's where we'll head.

We'll be bringing our own snorkel gear. Do you know if the hotels allow non-hotel guests to rent watersports equipment, such as the jet ski or water ski?

When you say, why not try the marina, is that Village Creole? Is this where the shopping is located? I'm figuring there should be restrooms here. How far is this from the Sofitel beach? My MIL isn't too stable on her feet, so we don't want her walking too much on the sand & need to get her a chair.

Any info on any restrictions on the day before Good Friday???

Thanks for all your help.

Le Anne

Now that I've done some more research, I understand that the marina you were talking about is Pointe de Bout Marina. What bars or restaurants can you recommend here. I'm gathering there are tours/rentals here too...still trying to figure out what 1-2 hour water excursions would be available???

So is Village Creole were the shopping for souvenirs is located?

How far away is the marina to Village Creole to Sofitel beach? Is it an easy walk? Is this area well marked for directions in getting around???

Thanks,

Le Anne

Many questions!!!:D

When you at Pointe du Bout, nothing is far. The more you can walk is 10 min. For you to unerstand better, when you arrive by the shuttle boat, you are IN the Marina. On your left, you'll find the Kalenda resort. If you walk straight you'll see the main street and on each side of the street there are souvenirs shops, and others, bars and restaurants. The Village créole is on your left on the main street. There are many cute shops and restaurants (Havana café to drink or eat a snack, Tante Arlette creole food, Nuevo Mejico, or italian restaurant, la Grange French cuisine). In Pointe du Bout, "Boule de neige " (snowball) where you can eat ice creams, crèpes and have a smooth drink. La Marine is a nice restaurant in the Marina.

On the day before God friday, every shop should be open.

I don't think the Sofitel beach is bigger than Kalenda's one. Both beaches are fine. To get there, you'll have to walk a bit. There is a little street, next to the taxi station. it's the public access to the beaches. The street is a little bit rocky but it's not a long walk (3 min). If you feel it's to rocky, get to the beach using the kalenda hotel access, but you'll have to walk a little bit more.

I think you can rent jet ski at Kalenda resort. I don't know if it's possible at Sofitel. You can rent chairs and drink at their bars. If you do so,you can use their restrooms and showers.

I hope this will help,

Pomliane

pomliane, thank you sooooo much! You've been great help;) This will be exactly where my in-laws will want to hang out for the day.

Just one more question for you... my husband & I may take a walk to Anse Mitan beach...can you get there by walking along the beach?

Thanks,

Le Anne

No you can't go to the Anse Mitan beach walking along the beach. It's a 5 min Walk on the main street. Anse Mitan is a public beach. There is no chair to rent but 2 fine restaurants where you can have a drink. The beach is much bigger than the hotel ones and the sea is great.

http://jpa.galerie.free.fr/Pr%E9sentation%20photos/Images%20page11/Antilles_1%20008.jpg (picture of Anse Mitan)

http://christine.over-blog.com/article-1348789.html (pictures of kalenda and sofitel) browse the page and you'll see other pictures.

Archived