Scuba Diving In Ocho Rios ?

cwc9001

Hey cwc:

I dove with a diveshop (Jamaqua) located at the FDR resort at Runaway Bay, about a year and a half ago. It's fairly close to Ocho Rios.

Check out this website: http://www.jamaqua.com/Location.html

The dive shop was excellent; very safety concious, good equipment and boat, great divemaster, reasonable price (I think they were about $70 for 2 tanks). They were also nice enough to come pick us up at the Ocho Rios pier. When I dove there last, they were not the ones the cruise ship used.

The diving however was not that good. Even though we had good weather and good vis, there was almost no marine life there. And it's the same for Montego Bay and most of the island. Poverty, over-fishing, and a lack of government involvement has created an ecological disaster there. I have dove Jamiaca many times, but probably won't again. However if you just want to just get into the warm clear water and maybe see a fish or two...then go for it!

Have a fun/safe dive.

Bill Grier

Waynesville MO

skpr9354@hotmail.com

I would agree that there isn't a lot to see underwater in Ocho Rios. We stayed at the Beaches resort (now converted to Sandals) three years ago. In Beaches/Sandals resorts the scuba diving is included. I went diving four times (finished open waters). Saw some underwater life, not a lot.

My comparisons would be with Cuba and Hawaii.

In Cuba, it was also so-so at Varadero. But the south side of Cuba was excellent. Lots of colorful coral growth. Probably because it was undamaged from people/boats.

Diving in Hawaii was different. There was a lot more marine life, but the coral growth in Oahu wasn't much. It was very good in Kona. Much more coral growth, not as much as Cuba south shore. But the lots of marine life, saw lots of fish, even two eagle rays.

So I wouldn't go back to Jamaica for diving. Would try other Caribbean islands.

Well..if it the only place you can dive, you can get wet. But it is probably the least interesting of any of the islands due to a history of overfishing. Just not many critters around. This applies to most of Jamacia...

Archived