Help with July Crowds on Oahu

pdcsgirl

We  will be in Waikiki for a few days before the POA Cruise and at Aulani for a few days after the cruise.  I am concerned about the crowds, especially at Aulani given we arrive on  a Saturday, but this is really the only time we can go.

I found a place to hold our luggage, so would it make sense to do Pearl Harbor on the Saturday we disembark the ship, before going to Aulani, given we can't check into Aulani until 4 anyway and it will be crowded?  Or will Pearl Harbor be just as crowded on a weekend?

Also, if we want to drive to the North Shore, should we do that Sunday, to get away from the crowds at Aulani, or will we just hit lots of traffic and all the locals on the North Shore for the weekend?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Edited by pdcsgirl
Typo

Keep in mind that Aulani is a resort ... and a smallish one, at that!  No Downtown Disney or rides ... but some cool features, for sure.  Lovely art!  But it's not an amusement park - very little for the general public.     

Any day of the week is crowded in July.  Folks are on vacation.  Aulani will always be busy - but it's not in a metro area.  Very little shopping, few restaurants on site.    

You can check your luggage at Pearl Harbor!  Not a big deal.  You're renting a car, yes?  You will need one for sure.  

Post on the TripAdvisor Forums re: Pearl Harbor.  You will absolutely want time-slots for the Arizona Memorial - and you need to plan ahead.  And early morning is a great idea.  There are wonderful folks on the TripAdvisor Island of Oahu Forum to help you.

I would wait until Monday or a weekday for the North Shore - avoid the weekend.  

Again, there will be no big weekend crowds at Aulani.  It's not a destination like Disneyland/DisneyWorld - and there is very little there for non-guests.

Logistically going to PH before the Aulani is not a bad plan. There is heavy traffic on the H-1 freeway leaving Honolulu toward the west side in the afternoon but it moves along unless there is an accident. There is also an alternate surface route on the Nimitz/ Farrington highway if needed.

Since you are staying at the Aulani you will have access to their pools and restaurants. I thought the sailing outrigger boat that operates from their beach was a nice excursion, if the weather is nice.There is a small shopping center directly across the street which has a convenience store, four or five restaurants and a number of shops. Large shopping centers are nearby in Kapolei.

The Aulani is almost always busy but they handle it well. If you want to go to their luau show (not open to the public) I would book that in advance. If their beach area is a bit overwhelmed, go left down the path to the next lagoon which is less crowded. There are four lagoons with beaches in all with the marina and harbor entrance at the end of the pathway.

The north shore is usually busier on the weekends then during the week. Fourth of July fireworks are shot off in Waikiki and the lagoon area near the Aulani as well as other locations. Jeeps seem to work well as rentals, just don't leave valuables in them (or any rental) when you park. The cheapest gas is at Costco, if you are a member. In general there is heavy commuter traffic going into Honolulu early morning and coming out in the afternoon, avoid the H-1 freeway during those times if possible.

Have a fun trip!

On 1/3/2019 at 2:21 PM, pdcsgirl said:

I found a place to hold our luggage, so would it make sense to do Pearl Harbor on the Saturday we disembark the ship, before going to Aulani, given we can't check into Aulani until 4 anyway and it will be crowded?  

Have you considered this?:

FAQs | Check In and Check Out | Aulani Resort Hawaii | Should you arrive early, you can check in, store your luggage at the Bell Desk and enjoy the beauty of Hawai'i until your room is ready. ... Standard Rooms and Suites: Available beginning at 3:00 PM Hawaiian time. Studios and Villas: Available beginning at 4:00 PM Hawaiian time