Pearl - Christmas at Sea and Fog in Tampa

Bsetter

I was on the Pearl over Christmas - great time was had by all!  We did get an extra "bonus day at sea!"  There were multiple announcements made throughout the day with updates.  Unfortunately, with the fog, coast guard instructions, multiple ships in port trying to leave, and multiple ships trying to get in (not just the Cruise Ships), it was hard to give definite arrival times.  

The main problems were passengers that didn't follow instructions and filled up the stairwells, main areas, etc, with themselves and their luggage.  

We had planned on spending an extra day in Tamps, so we weren't concerned with our flights, hotel, etc. which made it way easier for us to enjoy the extra 10 hours on the ship.  Also the bars were opened, and our beverage package still honored!  They had a few activities including a movie in the theater, trivia, bowling alley open, music on the pool deck and food!  We also were able to stay in our room, and keep our luggage there, until disembarkation.  

I think there are some great tips I'd like to share that I've learned: (This was our 9th Cruise, 4th on Norwegian - and 2nd on the Pearl).

1)  Remember you are on a cruise ship at sea.  Weather happens.  Seas can get rough.  Ships can't always dock in the port due to weather, including winds and waves.  You must be flexible and realize that the Itinerary may change.  (We were on a cruise out of Port Canaveral during Hurricane Wilma, and all the ports stops were switched around, and we left 2 hours early, at a very high speed to go out to sea to avoid much of the storm.  It was a very rocky ride, but we made the most of it).

2) Make alternate plans.  We always try to go a day early and stay a day later.  This provides us the flexibility to make changes if weather impacts us.  I didn't have to spend the extra 10 hours on the ship standing in line to use the phones or internet.  My family enjoyed the extra time we had 🙂 

3) Be understanding of the cruise staff and follow their directions!  If passengers would just follow the basic directions given, everyone would have a better time.  Don't cut in lines; don't try and use the elevator to gain access ahead of others in lines; show up at the stated times; etc.  

We had a wonderful time, and although the Pearl is smaller and a bit older, we have enjoyed the staff and ship both times we sailed!  I'd be happy to answer any questions ---

• Like 1

Your post is not the first time I've heard that the passengers made the delayed disembarkation more difficult than it had to be. I'm wondering if they were first-time cruisers, and just freaked out because of the curveball the fog created. In any case, your advice is excellent! Glad you had a wonderful time, in spite of the difficulties. I am sailing on the Pearl in March with my extended family (eight staterooms), so I'm always glad to hear positive reports on her.

Your post reminds me of my cruise that got cancelled out of Tampa a few years ago because of fog.

I woke up in my hotel room to a text message that our cruise would be delayed several hours because of the fog.    Im cruising with my daughter so we thought no big deal, we'll Uber to the Tampa International mall and hang out until the ship is ready.    At the mall, we met many people, maybe 50'ish who were doing the same thing.   They had no where to go and just hanging out to get on the ship.   A few unfortunate passengers must have been on very limited budgets because they were concerned about the cost of their lunch in the food court at the mall.....they'd planned to eat lunch on the ship that day.    

Then 6 hours later I get another text......The ship can't make it into the port because of the fog and they will text us the next day.   I scramble to find a hotel, which there were NONE believe it or not in all surrounding the port or airport area.    I had to rent a car last minute and find a hotel last minute so I paid ridiculous prices.     Now I'm thinking about the poor budget travelers I'd met at the mall!    They were worried about their lunch, how would they afford $400 a night hotel last minute that was 45 minutes away and a $65 rental car (Ubering would have gone way more than that).     My daughter and I are exhausted and disappointed that we can't get on the cruise and will be missing one of our 5 nights onboard.

The next morning comes and I get another text that they will notify us by noon.    We hang at the hotel and wait, still thinking this will all work out.    Then noon comes and I get another text they have cancelled the cruise.

OK well, now I have 4 more days to figure out what we are going to do in Florida, in March, peak season and now booking everything last minute.   I could fly back home but how much would changing out tickets cost?!   What a mess.   Fortunately I can cover the expense to stay in Florida last minute, but again, my mind goes to the other cruisers I met at the mall food court!   Was my vacation ruined last minute.....yes.    At least you got to take your cruise.    

So then the next thing is...."Ah, Trip Insurance".   Of course I purchased it.   I'm the responsible type.    But guess what it covered......only the cost of the cruise.    They eventually reimbursed me the cost of my cruise which was around $750 per person.   That's it.    In no way did it cover me having to book hotel rooms last minute, rental cars last minute.    I was paying like $400 a night for a Hilton Garden in March and that's the best I could do.    

Believe me, you are so, so lucky this was at the end of your cruise.   Your vacation wasn't ruined.   I guess the Tampa Port gets fogged in fairly regularly in Jan-March and cruises get affected.  

• Like 1

Thank you very much for a wonderful perspective on making the most of your extra day!

We have been on [many] cruises with changed itineraries prior to and while on board. Any day on a cruise is better than being in the office. We've even been on fog-delayed arrivals to our disembarkation port and made the most of the extra time on the ship.  

Hi, my only suggestion is trip insurance....will help financially for delays etc....good to have anyway for medical reasons, evacuations etc.....we had to cancel once several days before our trip for an illness and were glad we had it 

Things go a lot easier with a flexible attitude.  Odds are you are not going to be able to change the outcome so at least make the most of it. I was coming back from Manilla a few years ago after a particularly tough trip as my father in law had passed.  Left MNL at 03:30Am for Busan, Korea.  Was supposed to leave Busan at 10:30AM for Beijing but got delayed due to fog.  Finally landed in Beijing around 5:30PM and our connection to Toronto was closed.  Had an unexpected 24 hours in Beijing.  My wife and I made the most of it and got a hotel near the Forbidden city and she got to see Beijing for the first time. Fog happens!

No mattter how you looked at it, we were not getting to Toronto that night.  We could have just gotten a hotel at the airport but that would have been boring and a missed opportunity for my wife to see a new city. I had been to Beijing a few times before so it was no biggie for me.  Still, we passed the 24hours exploring. 

If you're a traveller, you really should have a sense of adventure.

16 hours ago, Vyhanek said:

Your post reminds me of my cruise that got cancelled out of Tampa a few years ago because of fog.

I woke up in my hotel room to a text message that our cruise would be delayed several hours because of the fog.    Im cruising with my daughter so we thought no big deal, we'll Uber to the Tampa International mall and hang out until the ship is ready.    At the mall, we met many people, maybe 50'ish who were doing the same thing.   They had no where to go and just hanging out to get on the ship.   A few unfortunate passengers must have been on very limited budgets because they were concerned about the cost of their lunch in the food court at the mall.....they'd planned to eat lunch on the ship that day.    

Then 6 hours later I get another text......The ship can't make it into the port because of the fog and they will text us the next day.   I scramble to find a hotel, which there were NONE believe it or not in all surrounding the port or airport area.    I had to rent a car last minute and find a hotel last minute so I paid ridiculous prices.     Now I'm thinking about the poor budget travelers I'd met at the mall!    They were worried about their lunch, how would they afford $400 a night hotel last minute that was 45 minutes away and a $65 rental car (Ubering would have gone way more than that).     My daughter and I are exhausted and disappointed that we can't get on the cruise and will be missing one of our 5 nights onboard.

The next morning comes and I get another text that they will notify us by noon.    We hang at the hotel and wait, still thinking this will all work out.    Then noon comes and I get another text they have cancelled the cruise.

OK well, now I have 4 more days to figure out what we are going to do in Florida, in March, peak season and now booking everything last minute.   I could fly back home but how much would changing out tickets cost?!   What a mess.   Fortunately I can cover the expense to stay in Florida last minute, but again, my mind goes to the other cruisers I met at the mall food court!   Was my vacation ruined last minute.....yes.    At least you got to take your cruise.    

So then the next thing is...."Ah, Trip Insurance".   Of course I purchased it.   I'm the responsible type.    But guess what it covered......only the cost of the cruise.    They eventually reimbursed me the cost of my cruise which was around $750 per person.   That's it.    In no way did it cover me having to book hotel rooms last minute, rental cars last minute.    I was paying like $400 a night for a Hilton Garden in March and that's the best I could do.    

Believe me, you are so, so lucky this was at the end of your cruise.   Your vacation wasn't ruined.   I guess the Tampa Port gets fogged in fairly regularly in Jan-March and cruises get affected.  

Shouldn't the cruise line have refunded the cost of your cruise if the cancelled it?

I was on the same cruise too. I was not worried about flights because I was staying an extra day in Tampa but I was dissatisfied that we lost our excursion and that we had to pay for transportation to our hotel. (Transportation to the airport at the end of the tour was included with the excursion and we had an airport hotel booked). We also had bought the insurance but my lesson now is to book insurance with another insurance company that covers more.

• Like 1