Seattle Waterfront Trolley

luvocean9

I am sad to confirm that the trolley is gone. There has been a lot of controversary here about it and I do not remember if it is gone forever or just temporarily while something is being built. On another note, the Monorail (runs between downtown Seattle and the Seattle Center, Space Needle, etc.) is also not running, due to a crash during the Holidays. I have not heard how long it will be out of commission.

Good Seattle news....yesterday, we broke our streak of rain days, ending it at 27. It was still cloudy virtually all day, but at least we could go outside without getting drenched. However, today we started a new streak....it has rained virtually all day. Anyway, it has been a VERY wet winter! :)

I had heard that the trolley wouldn't be running any more - loved it. But I did not hear of the monorails most recent accident. We will be in Seattle again in June. Guess we will have to walk or take taxis.

You can ride the bus that is replacing the trolley. Buses will get you there, they are just not as charming.

"Metro Transit will provide free bus service beginning Nov. 19 through the construction of the sculpture park. The buses will feature specially designed graphics and will still link the International District/Chinatown, Pioneer Square and the Waterfront communities. The fare will be free, because the route will be within Metro's Downtown Seattle Ride Free Area."

The trolley barn is being relocated while the Seattle Art Museum builds a sculpture park on an old oil company tank farm just above the current barn. Construction will take a year and a half. Or so. Meanwhile, the trolleys are homeless, so out of service.

It's the monorail that's probably kaput for good. Some Einstein dispatched one train just in time for it to meet the incoming train at a curve where the two tracks are too close together to accomodate both trains at once. (Give that engineer a prize.) Result is that they squished together and the fixup cost may exceed the value.

Archived