San Juan

cupfulofjava

Hey everyone! We are so close, 2 weeks until beach time!

I was really hoping to explore Castillo de San Cristobal and was checking on details today for my friend that is going, however I see it is considered a National Park and due to the government shut-down, it will be closed. If they can't get it resolved before then, I will need a plan B. 😞 I really wanted to go explore the fort. A long time ago I went on a cruise out of San Juan but we flew in the day of the cruise and out the day we came back so we did not get to see anything. Has anyone been? It sounds like there is a lot within walking distance to see and do. 

You're certainly asking in the correct place, in my opinion.  We have been to San Juan numerous times and are going there again for our Celebrity Summit sailing in 3 weeks. 

The forts are definitely worth seeing if they are open at the time your friend visits. 

Old San Juan is interesting in itself just to walk through. There is also a free trolly that you can take through the area and get off where you like-just Google it. Varied and wonderful restaurants also. 

1 hour ago, tpnebraska said:

This is the San Juan board isn't it?

This isn't where this question was first posted when I answered...It was on the " Adventure Roll Call" board...it's been moved. Check the Adventure Roll Call board halfway down to verify what I'm saying. This has been happening lately...people posting on boards with no roll call date. I've caught it 3 times in the last week....But thanks for your help.

Edited by Ashland

2 hours ago, cupfulofjava said:

Sorry everyone, I was trying to post this to my roll call but it ended up out there floating and I could not figure how to delete this post! Thanks for the tips, though! 

Ohhh....From Kentucky...note my CC name :classic_biggrin:

We’ve been in San Juan since Sunday, and the forts have been both open and closed a few times in the week. 

There are some local funds keeping them open, but it’s not 100% what will happen if the budget is not resolved by the time you get here. 

El Morro was open today and rangers/staffers had expectations that it would be open for the next several days (hopefully at least the next 12 days one ranger said).  We didn’t go but it seems like San Christobal also is open. Definitely check when you get here because things are in flux. 

There is is a nice harborside walk that goes beneath the walls of El Morro.