Explorer Cabins

We are looking to book a cruise aboard the Explorer and keep dithering over the cabin options so wondered if anyone could give us some advise on the following please?

We like to have a balcony but given the option of bigger cabin v bigger balcony....then it would cabin (if that helps)....and I apologies in advance for the long list of questions

The mini suites are bigger than the balcony cabins but are they worth the extra 1k that it would cost us?

According to the descriptions the insides of standard balcony cabins are bigger than the larger balcony cabins....is it a very noticeable difference? and on the larger balcony cabins, do the hammocks get in the way of the view?

Also....the 3 berth standard cabin description states 'sofa bed', to accommodate 3rd person, but on the 2 berth (which would be what we are booking) there is no mention of there being just a standard sofa.....so is there one or is it just a chair to sit on?

And finally.....the mid ship standard balconies are on deck 8.....if anyone has any knowledge or advise on this area as to it being good/bad, noisy/quiet etc...it would be great help......or if the opinion should be go for a larger balcony cabin....which deck is best etc,,,,or if the mini suites are worth the extra?.....(told you I was dithering :classic_biggrin:)

many thanks

Sue

We had the large balcony on deck 10 as this was all that was available. Nice cabin, plenty of storage and we enjoyed the large balcony on the sea day, tried the hammock which  was great but then started to feel a bit queasy with the movement. All in all would prefer a normal balcony and more cabin space but its personal preference and also depends on how much time you are going to spend on the balcony.

Thanks for that link Dave, it was helpful to see drawings of the different cabin layouts and as they don't seem to differentiate between the 2 and 3 berths I'm taking it they'll both have sofas which is good.

and thanks Dronny, it was good to have your feedback between the two cabin types .... and I do admire your bravery as I don't think I would even attempt to try and get into the hammock... they look a bit to close to the edge for me and I hadn't even thought of the quesy bit :classic_wacko::classic_smile:

I would agree with the post above.

Although not in a balcony cabin, we were also on deck 8 between the atrium and the forward lift and the water dispenser beside it.

Not only was it super quiet, it was especially convenient for a Caribbean cruise, as all our ports either docked or tendered from deck 3 forward. Having that lift close to the cabin meant we didn't need to walk the length of the ship when heading to the gangway, nor did we need to walk the length when  coming back onboard.

We would choose that location again for the quietness and location even if a different lift is used for ports other than those in the Caribbean.

Edited by edinburgher

Thanks Weboos and edinburger, it's all sounding very positive for deck 8 which is good news and a relief as I was bit worried when I was looking again yesterday and saw that there was a game zone area and wasn't sure if that would be noisy.... and good thinking about being near the lifts.