Aurora Northern Lights - on board temperature

Ilovemyuke

Hi - I'm going on a Northern Lights cruise in just a few weeks' time (yippee!). I'm ready to pack loads of warm clothing for venturing off the ship in the snowy north of Norway, but can anyone who has done this cruise at this time of year (March) tell me what the temperature is like on board in the public areas? I'm presuming it's kept pretty warm or we'd all be wearing woolly jumpers on formal nights instead of dresses, but I'm not sure and I don't want to take loads of the wrong weight clothing. 

Also, when you've been off the ship in the snow and you come back on board, eg after an excursion or just a walk on shore (or even out on deck) are there areas where you can take off wet boots and coats so that the ship's rooms and corridors are kept clear?

Many thanks for any advice

Jo

57 minutes ago, Ilovemyuke said:

Hi - I'm going on a Northern Lights cruise in just a few weeks' time (yippee!). I'm ready to pack loads of warm clothing for venturing off the ship in the snowy north of Norway, but can anyone who has done this cruise at this time of year (March) tell me what the temperature is like on board in the public areas? I'm presuming it's kept pretty warm or we'd all be wearing woolly jumpers on formal nights instead of dresses, but I'm not sure and I don't want to take loads of the wrong weight clothing. 

Also, when you've been off the ship in the snow and you come back on board, eg after an excursion or just a walk on shore (or even out on deck) are there areas where you can take off wet boots and coats so that the ship's rooms and corridors are kept clear?

Many thanks for any advice

Jo

The temperature is much like it is in the Caribbean. Very consistent wherever you cruise.

• Thanks 1

Did the Christmas markets cruise on Aurora in mid December a few years ago. It snowed in Oslo but the temperature inside the ship was no different than it would be anywhere else at any time - oh the wonders of air conditioning. The covered pool area was however, pretty chilly as unlike Ventura there are no doors to insulate it from the open deck. You could see stean rising from the jacuzzis!

Edited by Denarius
spelling
  • Thanks 1

Was on Aurora just before Xmas, lovely and warm inside except near the exits.

I read somewhere it was kept at a constant 26 degrees which seems about right.

We never felt the need for jumpers etc on ship.

There didn't seem to be specific areas for changing boots, but there didn't really seem a need with good barrier matting.

Have a fantastic time,

Andy

• Thanks 1

As everyone else has said, the temperature onboard should be no different from other times of the year or locations, BUT we did the same cruise on Oriana last February/March and the heating broke down on the ship in a number of public areas and cabin zones. For 36 hours we needed 3 duvets on our bed – ours was one of the affected cabins – and we wore outdoor clothes in some public areas.

• Thanks 1

I agree with the others about the inside temperature being nice and warm - obviously avoiding any draughty areas near to open doors out to the sub zero outside .
I made the mistake of not taking enough 'normal' wear and  could have done with more normal daywear.
It was a fab cruise, so much fun!

• Thanks 1

Always surprises me how passengers don't appear to realise the ship is a place of work for a few thousand people.

They have to work in comfortable conditions 24/7 and the internal environment is kept at a temperature so this is possible.  If it wasn't warm the senior staff would be the first to complain

No one asks how warm it is in the shops onshore when it is -5 degrees C outside!

Edited by Thejuggler