San Pedro Terminal - Porter Tips

Sportsfan2434

Read some horror stories about the porters at San Pedro being revengeful if they feel they are not given and acceptable tip. Questions.

What is an acceptable tip?

Are these stories true that bags get lost or damaged if porters are not satisfied?

Do porters at San Pedro work for tips only or are do they also receive a wage?

Is a union and union rules involved?

Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

We have found the porters at San Pedro to be very helpful. I don't know about their union agreement or payment. We tipped them about $2 a bag, and they were good about getting them on the ship, and wonderful about getting us through customs and out the door at disembarkation. We had no trouble using the old rules about treating people as we like to be treated. :)

Have a great cruise!

I always use the porters at embarkation and give them at least $1 per bag. Unless you carry on all your luggage, you have to use the porters then.

I have learned, the hard way, to bypass them at disembarkation. They will gladly take your bags, move them about 30-50 feet and then just dump them on the sidewalk. I have tipped them extra so they will help us get the bags into the car, but they disappear as soon as you're out the door, no help at all. We don't pack so much that we can't manage on our own.

Archived