New Cruiser to Alaska

rbalge87

Hello, I apologize if this is a double post as I tried posting, but I can't find it anywhere.

We are looking to cruise Holland Westerdam in June to Alaska on a Denali Cruisetour.  I am hoping to get feedback on Observation deck verandah's (Deck 10) :noise above/below and around, will we feel a ton of movement/seasick, any major cons?  Also, in addition if you have done a simliar cruisetour with Holland can you offer advice.  I am trying to research as much as possible, but I would love to hear from those who are well versed in cruising.  We are a very quiet family and this is why we chose Holland, we don't want a crazy night life.

Thank you!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've done Holland America Alaska cruises several times and love it.  We did one cruise tour.  The tour part felt a bit rushed and herded, with lots and lots of sitting on buses and trains, but the scenery was all fantastic, and the caribou...amazing.  Plus, we saw a mama bear and her cubs.  I loved it.  I just would have loved it more if the pace were a little more relaxed.  Keep in mind that I'm generally an independent traveler who takes things slowly and doesn't do many organized tours, so maybe the cruise tour just wasn't the best fit for me.  I loved what I saw and plan to go back with a car and maybe a tent.  

That said, a cruise tour is a worry-free and convenient way to see Denali, and if you get a good deal, it can be more economical than many other options.  If you're spending the money to do a cruise tour, however, I recommend getting one that spends two nights (or more) in Denali.  Otherwise, I think it's too much distance for the time you spend there.

The cruising part is all fantastic...no matter your itinerary, and even if you have bad weather.   I like Holland America in Alaska.  One reason is that they tend to have educational programs about the things you're seeing--the culture, wildlife, history, or science.  I really loved that. 

Since it's your first time, here are some of my favorite things to do in port:  https://cruisingalaskaonabudget.wordpress.com/2017/06/14/10-inexpensive-things-to-do-in-alaskan-ports/