Korsakov, Sakhalin Island and Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, Kamchatka, Russia

travelin'suzie

We will be on the Viking Orion traveling between Japan and Alaska.  We will be stopping in 2 ports in Russia - Korsakov and Petropavlovsk.

Does anyone have any tips or info about these ports?  How much money (Rubbles) should we plan to have on hand?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks much

• Like 1

I can comment on Petropavlovsk as we were there in May of 2018. If you take a local (not ship's) shore excursion, you can get by with only your credit card (for lunch). If, however, you go to the market, then you would probably need cash.

Take a look at our tour review: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g298492-d8858927-r487781631-Kamchatintour_Travel_Company-Petropavlovsk_Kamchatsky_Kamchatka_Krai_Far_Eastern.html

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 7:24 AM, Orlando Vic said:

I can comment on Petropavlovsk as we were there in May of 2018. If you take a local (not ship's) shore excursion, you can get by with only your credit card (for lunch). If, however, you go to the market, then you would probably need cash.

Take a look at our tour review: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g298492-d8858927-r487781631-Kamchatintour_Travel_Company-Petropavlovsk_Kamchatsky_Kamchatka_Krai_Far_Eastern.html

Hi Orlando Vic.  We have been in touch with this tour company for the snow dog excursion in Petropavlovsk.  One of the members of our roll call asked if the company provides a visa or whether we have to obtain one ourselves.  What was your experience?   (I've heard a visa isn't required but someone said that the company must be authorized?)

thanks,

mare

On 1/16/2019 at 4:35 PM, mare s. said:

Hi Orlando Vic.  We have been in touch with this tour company for the snow dog excursion in Petropavlovsk.  One of the members of our roll call asked if the company provides a visa or whether we have to obtain one ourselves.  What was your experience?   (I've heard a visa isn't required but someone said that the company must be authorized?)

thanks,

mare

No visa is required for visits up to 72 hours. http://www.russiavisa.com/visafreeentry.htm Ship's shore excursions were outrageously expensive. We used a local tour company and they were excellent...and a lot cheaper. $560 for four people for all day. They take (and prefer) U.S. dollars for payment.

If you have more questions, feel free to email me directly: giga 60153 at mypacks dot net.