Rental Car Anchorage

busymom-ga

Researching a DIY land tour. Would like to rent a car in Anchorage round trip and drive up to  Denali for several days. Questions--We have 7 adults, luggage, groceries. Will the largest SUV work for us (up to 8 person vehicle)? Or should we look at a van?  Also will all rental companies allow you to drive on the Denali Highway? I have seen messages where some people say you are not allowed. My husband has status with Hertz but we are open to any rental company. Thanks for your help.

2 hours ago, busymom-ga said:

Researching a DIY land tour. Would like to rent a car in Anchorage round trip and drive up to  Denali for several days. Questions--We have 7 adults, luggage, groceries. Will the largest SUV work for us (up to 8 person vehicle)? Or should we look at a van?  Also will all rental companies allow you to drive on the Denali Highway? I have seen messages where some people say you are not allowed. My husband has status with Hertz but we are open to any rental company. Thanks for your help.

If you are talking about 7 adults PLUS luggage for 7 people PLUS groceries for 7 people, the answer should be obvious.  Go to your nearest car dealer with 6 of your friends and 7 suitcases and look at how much room there is in the way back with all 3 seats up.  Also consider how much seating room there is in the last row and how easy it will be to get into and out of the last row.  Now if you had a roof rack it might work but I doubt it even w a roof rack.   

Considering that the Denali Highway is 135 miles of mostly gravel, I doubt that Avis or Hertz will allow you to drive there.  Have you called the rental office from where you are planning to rent the car (the local office and  not national) and asked them. 

BTW - I assume that you know that you do not drive on the Denali Highway to get from Anchorage to Denali National Park.

DON

What about renting two vehicles?

The Parks Highway is the highway going north from Anchorage to Fairbanks, passing by the entrance to Denali National Park. Well, the first 40 miles out of Anchorage is the Glenn Highway, but just south of Wasilla the Parks Highway starts. The Parks Highway is paved and a two lane road (one lane each way) with some passing lanes. All car rental agencies allow their cars on the Parks Highway.

The Denali Highway stretches between Cantwell and Paxson and is mostly gravel. Most rental car agencies prohibit their vehicles from this road. Go North is one that allows it.

The Denali Park Road is the 90 some mile road into Denali National Park. It's paved for the first 15 miles. Beyond that the road is closed to vehicles and travel is done by park buses.

Edited by AKStafford