Balcony question-can you see GC and Cozumel from a starboard balcony?

thebird

I have a starboard balcony on Sensation and want to know if I will be able to see the islands from my balcony, or will I have to go up on deck-which really defeats the purpose of the balcony for this trip. The money doesn't matter this time, either, so I wouldn't mind changing cabins. Also, will the bon voyage gifts "follow" me to the new cabin (if I change) without any problems?

Lead, Follow, or Get the $&@* out of the way!

You will be able to see Grand Cayman from most any cabin on the ship since you will be anchored not docked. In Cozumel, port side is usually dockside.

Judy

Celebration 2/96

Imagination 2/97

Fascination 12/97

Imagination 3/99

Spirit 11/01

Sensation 1/02

Pride 11/02

Voyager of the Seas 5/03

Conquest 10/04

In Cozumel, you pull straight in at the pier. Either side will allow you to see the island. In Grand Cayman, you anchor offshore and the ship moves a little so either side should give you a view. On the Conquest, the starboard side stayed toward the shore more often.

Dick

"To Sea or Not To Sea"

~~^~~Sea Ya!~~^~~

Destiny 02-28-99

Victory 02-24-01

Conquest 02-09-03

Bon Voyage items follow the 'booking' number, then at embarkation use the cabin assigned to that number. I just called the other day as I upgraded froma balcony to a suite!

ps: any side is a good side on a cruise icon_cool.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;4;17;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

This much time until I leave to marry my best friend

odie_anm.gif

Triumph 4/04

Imagination 5/00

OceanBreeze 11/96

USS 'Neversail' SanDiego 10/65

Unfortunately, and at least 14 cruises later, I still don't know which side is which or what they're called....BUT...I can tell you that we just got off the March 20th sailing of the Triumph, were in cabin 1275 and could see the port on every Island.

As a matter of fact, all we had to do was look out our window at two of the ports and the gangplank was right there and on Grand Cayman, we could see the tenders from our window.

I hope this answers your question.

elaine.gif

Thanks to all for your answers. You have taken a load off my mind, since this cruise was for my aging(slightly) Mother, and I wanted to be sure she could stay in the cabin, but still see the islands. I think more people prefer port side, though, because more of those cat 12 cabins are gone than the starboard side on our cruise. What do y'all think? If you were choosing which side (on purpose), which side would you choose? Dan, arriving AND departing!!!

Actually, I am hoping for a starboard side cabin. My previous cruises have all been port side oceanview staterooms, so just to even things out, I'd like to stay on the other side for a change!

Lisa icon_smile.gif

Monarch of the Seas - '94

Royal Majesty - '96

Countdown to VICTORY

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;9;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I picked port on the Triumph so I can watch 'downtown' Miami and the water vs. the dock and all the crazy people running around on embarkation day!

AND, I don't want to see the dock when we come back to Miami, as then I'll have a tear in my eye as I'll have to get off the ship.. icon_frown.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;4;17;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

This much time until I leave to marry my best friend

odie_anm.gif

Triumph 4/04

Imagination 5/00

OceanBreeze 11/96

USS 'Neversail' SanDiego 10/65

I'm a fan of aft balcony cabins. But there are no cat. 12's back there. If we have a cabin along the side, I really don't care which side its on re the ports. If you're tied up against the dock you can see the dock activities. They always look pretty much the same except in Cozumel. If your cabin is on the side opposite the dock you will probably have privacy as well as a good view of the island/port.

And I was semi-serious in my above post. What you miss coming in, you can see leaving.

Dan

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;9;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till 9/5 Paradise Panama Canal

Stirboo, I agree with your reasoning. I think leaving Tampa we will be seeing downtown Tampa - which I prefer,too.

Dan40, I got your back, man.. I knew you were joking - I was being GREEDY!!! ( I DID have a good laugh from your response. I guess some of these questions really are silly, once you REALIZE what you have asked.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elaine515:

Unfortunately, and at least 14 cruises later, I still don't know which side is which or what they're called....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are facing the same way as the ship, the port side is on your left. "Port" and "left" both have 4 letters. Starboard is the other side, on your right. That's how I remember. icon_biggrin.gif

Namaste,

Heather

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;9;18;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Until we sail on the Triumph ~ 9/18/04 - Roll Call

pleasedontstealmethanks.gif

Each time we have docked in Cozumel we end up at the PUERTA MAYA pier (3 miles SOUTH of downtown) ... Cozumel has 3 piers.

At PUERTA MAYA you do not really pull "straight in" (as in perpendicular to the island!) to the pier - Yes, they usually go in "front first", and only RARELY "back in".

The pier is angled such that the PORT side will favor an island view. If you dock on the INNER (closer to the island) side of the pier, the PORT side will give you a better view of Cozumel. If you dock on the OUTER side, then again the PORT side will give you a better view UNTIL another ship pulls up to the pier, then your view will be MAINLY of the side of that ship!!!... If you are on the STARBOARD side, then for the most part you will be looking at water - or another ship if you are on the INNER side of the pier.. I hope this is not too confusing..

In short : go for PORT side, and hope you are on the INNER side of the pier!

We have been to Cozumel SEVERAL times, and only once (on the Inspiration) docked at another pier (the "International").

Here are a couple of links with more info on the Cozumel piers :

http://www.travelnotes.cc/travelers/cruise.html

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/cruiseships/

The COZUMELINSIDER page has more "up-to-date" info on where the ships will be..

.. on another note: When you are there on the Sensation you will be there relatively late.. if you want to avoid the masses take a taxi - or rent a car- and go to the OTHER (EAST) SIDE (Ocean facing, not on the Pier/Channel side) and check out CHEN RIO .. great getaway, scenic, cold beer, and a "protected" swimming/snorkeling area... we never opt for the food there (pricy) - we usually order a few ROOM SERVICE sandwiches and cookies and tuck those in handy ZIPLOCS we bring along just for this reason... ( don't tell anyone! LOL)

Check out this link (then click on CHEN RIO):

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/beaches/

Enjoy your cruise!

Tom

Spring break Glory with the boys. March 20th, 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;3;20;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Sensation - July 1st, 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;7;1;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Inspiration - Dec. 2nd, 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;2;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle Spring Break, March 20th, 2005

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2005;3;20;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

MIRACLE.......3/05

INSPIRATION..12/04

SENSATION.....7/04

GLORY.........3/04

SENSATION.....1/04

SENSATION....10/03

GLORY.........7/03

SENSATION.....7/03

INSPIRATION..11/02

PRIDE.........7/02

FANTASY......10/01

FANTASY......10/00

FANTASY.......8/00

SENSATION.....6/00

DOLPHIN IV....3/00

FANTASY.......9/99

Tom, thanks for the great tips!! Your analysis was not confusing at all, in fact, it was perfect for me. I can "see" what you're talking about - without ever having "done" it before. I knew that if more port cabins were already gone, then there must be a reason... DUH!!! I'll let y'all know how it all turns out. (should be an interesting analogy)

Archived