Question about Kauai .. Please Help! :)

WeLuvCruzn

It's settled, we're heading to Hawaii in early March. Whales... Yippee!!! :) We're hoping the helpful locals (and non-locals ;) ) on this board can help with a few questions.

We've been reading the tour books and we're confused about Ke'e Beach on Kauai in early March. Is this a good place for some swimming and snorkeling? or will there be too much wave action?

If too rough, is there an alternate suggestion?

Also, are there any other must visit beaches? For point of reference, Hapuna Beach on Big Island is our favorite beach of all time -- we've been there in Winter (Jan/Feb) and also in the Fall (Sept.) Thanks in advance! :)

The only beach we visited on Kauai was Poipu Beach... we enjoyed it immensely and it was listed in the top 10 Hawaiian beaches on the Travel Channel. Snorkeling was excellent. Lots of beach and great facilities. We would return there again the next time we were on Kauai. Watch out for the chickens, they will eat your picnic food so keep it covered. hee hee

Ke'e Beach can be quite calm in March. It can also be pretty rough. Usually, if Ke'e is rough so are most of the remaining beaches on the north shore of Kauai. But I've snorkelled there in Feb, Mar and Apr (also had too rough conditions in June!) You never know. Just give it a shot. Tunnels is very good for snorkelling and rather close.

There really isn't a Hapuna-style beach on Kauai (Hapuna is also one of my favorites) - a half mile long, fine sand, good snorkelling nearby. Kauai beaches, even Poipu, tend to be more intimate. Perhaps Hanalei Bay might make you think a bit of Hapuna; the views of the mountains from Hanalei are IMO better than those of Hapuna.

The Barking Sands beach area is miles long, but very unsafe for water activities.

My suggestion for snorkelling/beaches is to get the Ultimate Kauai book and read it many times before going to hawaii!

Hi Suzie & Sceptic... Thanks for the speedy responses! :)

Sceptic: Hapuna = Heaven :D We'll definitely check out Ke'e but we'll have maps and a back-up plan *just in case*.

Do you guys know anything about Ka'anapali in Maui?!? Sceptic, can you compare Hapuna to anything on Maui? Any beach idea on that island?

We're planning a whale watch & possibly a snorkel trip to Molokini (we know that the boats scare away some of the fish, but my traveling partner is a nervous nilly and wants to do some guided snorkels.)

One final question (for today at least) Early March on Maui and Kauai --what part of the island(s) should we concentrate on: North? South? East? West? We're looking to be one with nature -- swim & snorkel, not just observe! Thanks again! ;)

Do you guys know anything about Ka'anapali in Maui?!?

We spent a short time at Ka'anapali last month. We beached it right next to Black Rock. Snorkeling was awesome! We accessed it right thru the Sheraton Maui. I would go back there again, but go earlier to get a better spot on the beach. Here is a link to the Sheraton's virtual tour so you can get an idea. http://www.hawaiivtmaps.com/VTpreview/shermauivt.html If I am not mistaken, this one was also listed in the Top 10 on the travel channel... but I could be wrong.

The one that to me is closest to Hapuna is Po'olenalena Beach. It's down in Makena and just north of the Makena resort. It's about 1/2 mile long. No lifeguards that I've seen. Some changing rooms/showers on the south end. Good snorkeling. Fun body surfing. Great beach.

Here's the weird thing about this beach - I've never been there when there are more than a dozen people on the whole beach. Sometimes my family have been the ONLY people on it. It's so odd to be on this awesome beach, knowing that a few miles away there are beaches teeming with people.

I found it via the Maui Revealed book - most of the free Maui guides (and a lot of Maui books) don't even mention it. Google the name for more info.

Do you guys know anything about Ka'anapali in Maui?!?

I went there back in November. The beach is nice, but very crowded. We found a spot right up against Black Rock as well. It was comfortable. The snorkeling there was average. We saw quite a few tropical fish. However, the snorkeling there is far from spectacular. You can find many beaches in Hawaii that are better for snorkeling. I loved snorkeling at Kahuluu Beach near Kona. It is a protected reef so the water is crystal clear. It was incredible (schools of tropical fish, green turtles, huge reef in shallow water, etc.). Go there if possible.

Archived