Just off Sunshine and here's my mini-review

Cinnamon2

2 hours ago, K&RCurt said:

We did the ABCs on the Victory last year.  How long are you in Curacao?  We did a Carnival "sunset cruise" excursion and it was awesome!  The boat left from just inward of the swinging bridge, past the inner cruise ship berth, did a tour of the harbor area, then we went through the swinging bridge and out into the sea, went South East down the coast then turned around in time for the sunset, which was stunning.  We then went North West, past and very close to the ship and they let us off at the second cruise pier which was not in use, so we had a short walk back to the ship.  If you are in port long enough and this is offered I would highly recommend it.

We already  have a tour lined up for Curacao and I think we leave before sunset anyway.  I'm really looking for something in

Aruba.  I'm hoping to find us a driver for the day so we can do a sightseeing tour and then spend some time at the beach.

We were on the same cruise. In defense of the piano bar player, he did announce at 10:30 that it was adult time and no children were allowed after that time. I think this is very similar to the adult comedy shows. It was not 1 1/2 hours of raunchy songs, he would just mix them in every now and then. 

Edited by GroundHog1961

13 minutes ago, GroundHog1961 said:

We were on the same cruise. In defense of the piano bar player, he did announce at 10:30 that it was adult time and no children were allowed after that time. I think this is very similar to the adult comedy shows. It was not 1 1/2 hours of raunchy songs, he would just mix them in every now and then. 

I did hear that announcement and I do not have a problem with adult humor.  However, this was 100% raunch 4 songs in a row and then we walked out.  My past 14 cruises the piano bar music was nice oldies type music with off color humor sprinkled in.  Much funnier and enjoyable in my opinion.  

10 hours ago, Cruisefriends said:

There is thermal suites on the Sunshine.  We booked the spa deck and have free access. To them.  We are so e xcited!!!!!

Wish I had known that . . . I went into the spa one day and asked what I could use and she said the gym, sauna and locker room/showers.  

• 2 weeks later...

I just got off the Sunshine January 12/2019 Journey's cruise.  Agree with most of your review except the portion about the Piano Bar and it's entertainer, Ewart Williams.  Have cruised twice with Ewart as our PBE and we were thrilled to have him on our cruise.  Yes, he plays "adult songs" later in the night.  If you're the type that gets offended by the adult comedy in the Punchliner Comedy Club than you'll probably be offended by the adult hour in the Piano Bar.  I personally was not offended and had many fabulous nights singing while laughing very hard at some of his songs.  He welcomed & encouraged everyone to step up to the mic and sing along with him.  Just a very nice man & talented man.  

On 1/15/2019 at 11:42 AM, GeorgiaMomof4 said:

Any additional information you can offer for Aruba or Curacao?  This will be our first trip to both places

and we have a tour lined up for Curacao but don't know what to do in Aruba yet.

Went there 6 years ago now.... Time flies.  no excursions planned, did things at our pace.   Curacao was nice, we walked to town and shopped.  Took in some drinks by the drawbridge.  

Aruba is beautiful, friendly people.  We took a cab up to Eagle beach on the cabbie's advice: closer to the port, amazing water, and not crowded like other beaches (he was right).  Fare was very cheap ($10 tops) and to return you just have to go to the road and hail a cab (plenty drive by all day).  Lots of shopping near the port

1 hour ago, Daysofspeed said:

I just got off the Sunshine January 12/2019 Journey's cruise.     

Did you notice any smell that some people are commenting on?  How was the food (greasy/fatty)?  Lots of motion on the ocean?

Thanks! 

8 hours ago, young_ens said:

Did you notice any smell that some people are commenting on?  How was the food (greasy/fatty)?  Lots of motion on the ocean?

Thanks! 

No, I didn't notice any smell at all.  The ship is a little dated and small but I found it very easy getting around, so that was a huge plus.

Food was good though the bread was very dry every night.  Had to keep sending it back.  Also had difficulty getting my steaks rare as they usually came up medium rare to medium.  I like mine mooing.  lol

I tried Jiji's Asian Kitchen and Cucina Del Capitano on various nights.  I was very impressed with both and they were well worth the extra $15pp.  Skipped the Steakhouse this time around.

On 1/15/2019 at 8:33 AM, Cinnamon2 said:

All the shows were entertaining.  We were disappointed in the Piano Bar.  The piano bar guy could sing and play and kept the crowd engaged BUT .....    When I go to a Piano Bar it is to hear good music; I enjoy typical piano bar music.  I have no problems with off color or dirty jokes thrown in - that can be fun.  However, this guy's repertoire was so raunchy that it wasn't even funny.  Every song he did was just plain raunch.  When we got up to leave, he teased us and said it was an adult show.  Well this show was geared to junior high humor - not music, not funny stuff, just 100% raunch.  I've heard many piano bar singers before and laugh at the adult humor - but usually the adult humor is mixed in with some fun and good music.

Mikey the cruise director was absolutely AWESOME!  He has unbelievable energy, is seen everywhere, engages the crowd perfectly.  In the past a cruise director doesn't make or break a cruise - but Mikey was just outstanding and made everything fun.

We got on the cruise right after yours.   I was not impressed with the PBE on the Sunshine, either.  He spent more time with his portable keyboard than the piano, it seemed.  I found the band in the Ocean Plaza (RB and the Sunshine Band) much more entertaining.

Mikey has to be one of the best Cruise Directors ever.  He was totally awesome.   I will have an extensive review coming up.  I am still working through 2000 photos.

Edited by NWACruiser

On 1/16/2019 at 1:17 PM, Cinnamon2 said:

I did hear that announcement and I do not have a problem with adult humor.  However, this was 100% raunch 4 songs in a row and then we walked out.  My past 14 cruises the piano bar music was nice oldies type music with off color humor sprinkled in.  Much funnier and enjoyable in my opinion.  

Like most things in life, everyone has different likes and dislikes. Patrick Duffy is by far my favorite Carnival piano player, and apparently many others too since the piano bar is always packed when he is playing. However, based on your comments you likely wouldn’t enjoy him at all. 

OP here . . . let me say again that I am NOT offended by off color humor.  We went to the late night comedy show and expected off color humor at that venue.  I agree that Ewart is a talented singer and musician who kept the crowd engaged.  My opinion is that usual piano bar music with some adult jokes or lyrics sprinkled in is much more enjoyable and funny.  

We are going on her in March in Aruba we booked the Jolly Roger Sunset cruise if you book online it is only 28 a person with open bar for 2 hours  Has good reviews and since we are there until 11 PM seems like a good thing to do