taking elevators

Arwenmark

Just wanted to post this to anyone who has not cruised yet and is in a wheelchair or scooter. if you are trying to get an elevator and one opens going either up or down TAKE IT do not wait for one going the direction you want or you will be there all day.

it is unfortunate that this is necessary as it Does leave less room for others in the elevator, BUT since those of us in chairs have NO OTHER WAY to go between floors it is necessary.

I try to inconvenience others as little as possible but this is my exception, just get on and ride it till you get to where you are going.

• 3 weeks later...

We just got off a cruise. My husband did not have too much trouble with elevators except when everyone was going to the same place at the same time. Dinner or getting off the ship. We took one set of elevators that did not go to the 1st floor where we need to go to get off the ship. I guess they shut them off and only run two to control the traffic. Well we had to get off at the 2nd floor and take the next to the 1st. Of course each was full. I was so surprise that no one would get off and walk down on flight so we could get on. After waiting quite awhile one showed up with people we knew and I asked if they wouldn't mind walking so we could ride. I even asked just that DH could ride, I'd walk. Stair where two feet away. Our friends got out and low and behold so did half the elevator.

I love the people who walk in front of you to get on. Then I love the ones who are afraid to get one if they see a wheelchair on the elevator... People got to love them

I found that Mariner's elevators were more of a problem than those on smaller ships. As many elevators as Mariner has, it just can't handle the volume of people plus wheelchairs and scooters during peak use periods. Despite this, I find Mariner to be quite wheelchair-friendly.

Archived