Virgin cocktails - with a twist

tumbley

We are cruising very shortly, and I don't drink alcohol.  Got myself a refreshment package, and am looking forward to having some virgin cocktails/mocktails on board.

I know this topic has been done many times, but mine has a twist - a rather big limitation: I learned I am allergic to citrus fruits (lemon, lime, orange, etc).  Hope to discover more options beyond virgin pina colada and mudslide.

Hit me with all your suggestions please - just nothing with lemon/lime/orange!

Edited by tumbley

I think it's the Love Connection or Miami Vice?  One is Strawberry and Mango colada and one is strawberry and pina colada- my girls loved that before they could ask for the shot in it 🙂  Most of the ones they'll be walking around with on trays don't typically have citrus and they don't add the shots until you order so if you see a server with a tray of pretty frozen drinks stop them 🙂

2 hours ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

Most of the frozen drinks are made with mixes - not sure you could get an accurate answer - there might be some type of citrus or extract in the mix.  Wouldn’t have thought a mudslide would have citrus - how about strawberries such as in a daiquiri. 

I guess I will need to see the packaging of the mixes 😞

Mudslides are ok - as usually are Pina Coladas - it is just that there's only so many of those 2 I can enjoy before they get old, LOL.

Thanks for mentioning daiquiri - many do have lemon juice in them, but I'll check what is in the ones on the ship.

Edited by tumbley

1 minute ago, emen822 said:

I'm not sure.  I apologize...I just was trying to think of a non-citrus drink.  🤦‍♀️

No need for apology!  I do value all suggestions - they help me think outside the box if the bartender happens to be stumped, too.  LOL

The only drinks that would give you problems I would think would be the ones that come from a pre-made mix, like most of the frozen drinks.  You would have to ask to see the carton.  I did exactly this, as I don't like pineapple, and it was no problem.  All the ingredients were listed.  For everything else you can just ask them to leave something out.  I had quite a few virgin bloody mary's on my cruise.  Red Delight has a twist of lemon in it, but I could never taste it, so if you asked them to leave it out you wouldn't be missing anything.

10 minutes ago, tumbley said:

No need for apology!  I do value all suggestions - they help me think outside the box if the bartender happens to be stumped, too.  LOL

Apparently they can make a non alcoholic BBC version.  I just found this:

Non alcoholic ingredients:

1 1/2 oz Creme of Coconut

1 oz Pineapple Juice

Half a banana

Blend with crushed ice

Says it's from Royal Caribbean Cocktail Recipe Book 🤷‍♀️ 

There is a form you can fill out for special/dietary needs.  I wonder if you did that (allergies is unfortunately in the extras box down at the very bottom)  and emailed them with your questions, whether they could/would give you better answers about their ingredients.  If they use mixes, I wonder if there's really any fruit in them anyway.  Depending on your sensitivity level, the extracts  & flavoring could still be a problem though.  I've heard they're good about allergies (I'm hoping so, since I'll be relying on them soon) so maybe with a little time put in on your end, you can get some answers.  It might be good to mention this to them on the form for dining too, so you don't accidentally end up with a citrus marinade or glaze on your food.  

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do

51 minutes ago, emen822 said:

Apparently they can make a non alcoholic BBC version.  I just found this:

Non alcoholic ingredients:

1 1/2 oz Creme of Coconut

1 oz Pineapple Juice

Half a banana

Blend with crushed ice

Says it's from Royal Caribbean Cocktail Recipe Book 🤷‍♀️ 

Awesome, thank you!

50 minutes ago, zebe912 said:

There is a form you can fill out for special/dietary needs.  I wonder if you did that (allergies is unfortunately in the extras box down at the very bottom)  and emailed them with your questions, whether they could/would give you better answers about their ingredients.  If they use mixes, I wonder if there's really any fruit in them anyway.  Depending on your sensitivity level, the extracts  & flavoring could still be a problem though.  I've heard they're good about allergies (I'm hoping so, since I'll be relying on them soon) so maybe with a little time put in on your end, you can get some answers.  It might be good to mention this to them on the form for dining too, so you don't accidentally end up with a citrus marinade or glaze on your food.  

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do

I've done the form in the past (and for this cruise) for dining - and in the MDR they were very good about my allergy.

Tip: inform your waiter at the MDR right away that you have allergies, and if he/she does not get the head waiter - please ask for head waiter yourself.  Head waiter should be taking care of you.  You will also be given next day's menu, so they can check if your selection is safe, and if they can alter it for you.

I've barely had any cocktails - virgin or not - on previous sailings, so just avoided anything that could remotely have citrus, but this time want to make use of my refreshment package.