Sleeping arrangement Dilemma

laginog

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

This is incorrect.  

The age limitation is NOT APPLICABLE for members of the military, which had already been addressed before you wrote your comment.

Stand corrected if I’m wrong, but OP wrote that he’d just graduated from the Reserves (awesome, God Bless him!) but he’s not Active.  It’s not just Military.  Pretty specific here in RC’s rules, but perhaps they’d just let it slide.

Not that it matters to OP since additional room not going to work but worth throwing out there for others with under-age/military situation to clear up before check-in day. 

And OP, I’d stick to your guns too about not having two 18 year old, opposite-sex cousins sleeping on a sofa bed together ~ uncomfortable in so many ways for both of them...and ick.  🙄

DCD0F2D0-5BAD-4E2A-9AB8-8527381D9C11.jpeg

Wow.  Asking a question on these boards these days is kinda like asking for a beating from some folks.   Thanks to most of you for the suggestions.  If they don’t even have Pullman beds on the Ovation, I guess I didn’t screw up.  To answer some questions, the reason I can’t sleep on the sofa bed is because I have a neuromuscular disease.  The beds are higher than sofa beds. Once I take my leg braces off to sleep, my legs aren’t strong enough for me to get up from the sofa bed.   My nephew graduated from Marine Corps basic training in October, went to infantry training, and is now at his MOS school.  Not that it matters, but he is doing a program where he does Reserves while going to College, then goes active duty as an officer after graduation.   To those who act like it’s ridiculous that they both can’t sleep together,  I know I wouldn’t have been comfortable with that at age 18.  Plus, they get along fine....but I wouldn’t say they are “close”.   So many sarcastic comments, not only about me, but others also.  I will be going on my 29th cruise soon, so I’ve been around a while.  I can see why people don’t feel comfortable asking questions here....

Again, thanks to those who helped.   

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, laginog said:

Wow.  Asking a question on these boards these days is kinda like asking for a beating from some folks.   Thanks to most of you for the suggestions.  If they don’t even have Pullman beds on the Ovation, I guess I didn’t screw up.  To answer some questions, the reason I can’t sleep on the sofa bed is because I have a neuromuscular disease.  The beds are higher than sofa beds. Once I take my leg braces off to sleep, my legs aren’t strong enough for me to get up from the sofa bed.   My nephew graduated from Marine Corps basic training in October, went to infantry training, and is now at his MOS school.  Not that it matters, but he is doing a program where he does Reserves while going to College, then goes active duty as an officer after graduation.   To those who act like it’s ridiculous that they both can’t sleep together,  I know I wouldn’t have been comfortable with that at age 18.  Plus, they get along fine....but I wouldn’t say they are “close”.   So many sarcastic comments, not only about me, but others also.  I will be going on my 29th cruise soon, so I’ve been around a while.  I can see why people don’t feel comfortable asking questions here....

You don't owe an explanation to anyone who has posted.  (I had to bite my tongue very hard not to use the word "idiots" in that sentence. 😡)

Here is another thread that talks about the sofabed and has pictures.  It looks like I was wrong - NOT trundle-y.  That may only be Harmony and Symphony.

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

You don't owe an explanation to anyone who has posted.  (I had to bite my tongue very hard not to use the word "idiots" in that sentence. 😡)

Here is another thread that talks about the sofabed and has pictures.  It looks like I was wrong - NOT trundle-y.  That may only be Harmony and Symphony.

Thanks Merion_Mom.  I appreciate it.  

3 hours ago, laginog said:

Hi, thank you for taking time out to explain your situation and answering some of the comments. 

I would like to reinforce what a few other posters have flagged up. The sofa beds are not suitable for 2 adults, I know this from personal experience.

We have cruised twice a year for the last 7 years, in an accessible cabin. My son normally sleeps on the sofa bed but once or twice during each cruise  I insist that I sleep on the sofa bed. 

I hope that you find a solution that you are happy with. 

On 1/20/2019 at 5:32 AM, laginog said:

I’m hoping someone can help with this.  We are booked in an accessible balcony stateroom (3D)  on the Ovation to Alaska in July.  Originally, it was just myself, my husband, & our niece (age 18).   Our nephew (also 18), COUSIN to our niece, is graduating from the Marine Corps Reserves.   He wants to go also.  So, I added him to our booking.  Here comes the “stupid” on my part.  When we have had 4 people, we have always had Pullman beds.  Not even thinking to check when I booked....this cabin has a sofa sleeper.   My hubby and I are both disabled so neither of us can sleep on the sofa.  Of course, these 2 opposite sex cousins can’t sleep together.  TA says no rollaways allowed in this cabin.   No other cabins are available.  Any ideas from anybody?   I thought maybe if we had a balcony lounge chair, we could bring that in & our Marine could sleep on that?   The floor???   Obviously he’s slept in much more difficult places. I’m stressing big time over this.....and I feel stupid after all the cruises I’ve been on & I make this foolish mistake.   Thanks for any suggestions. 

Here is an idea that is way out there... You could do like the old Navy submarine service and hot rack that sofa sleeper...  Split a 12 hour sleep period (10pm to 10am) into two parts... One sleeps 10pm to 4am the other 4am to 10am...  

Dennis & Sue  (USN 1967-1992)

• Like 1