Japan cruise in Summer - How hot is it, really?

knippsel

We're considering a HAL cruise from San Francisco to Japan.  The ship arrives in Yokohama July 31 and then circles Japan (Honshu) ending Aug 14 back in Yokohama. The itinerary is so unique it's hard to resist, but we're a little concerned about the heat in summer. We've been in Japan in mid-September and it was quite pleasant. Only Busan, Korea was really icky, sticky and very, very wet. Being Coastal Californians we're not used to extremely hot (90+ degrees) weather with humidity. (We get fog...and we're getting a little older!)   Of course, weather varies as does one's tolerance for it.  I guess my question is, at that time of year is it possible to sightsee enjoyably and not feel like you're missing what you're there to see if it's too uncomfortably warm to walk about much. Perhaps heading for air-conditioned transport when necessary, and maybe finding some air conditioning at sites? Or do people really lay low during the day (as in Italy and Spain) in summer? I'd love to hear others experiences with weather in Japan in August.

Thanks, Kathy

I've cruised  twice in late July and once in late August. The August trip was much more comfortable but the July cruises included festivals which is special to Japan.  All 3 cruises were on the diamond princess.   The latest July was 18 nights b2b and it was wonderful itinerary wise.   Many days we arrived at 7 or 8 am or earlier and didnt leave until very late 10pm 11pm and even midnight from Aomori.  This allowed us a decent amount of time to really get out of the town exploring before returning and spending time in the town at the festival.

Honestly when I was there in July 2016 I said never again would i go in summer as we had record high temperatures.  Many days in the 40s and some days 100% humidity.  It was the hottest week in Japan since records had been kept according to the port lecturer on the ship.    In August 2017 it was much more bearable but still extremely hot.   In July 2018 it was very uncomfortable but I am glad I went due to the extended time in ports.

Would I go again in summer?  probably if I came across another good deal that I cant resist as I am particularly fond of the Japanese people.  Ive been in all seasons, and every one of them has been special in its own way.  

I am going again in April as we are cruising Yokohama to Alaska.  Im looking forward to the cooler weather.

Only you can decide if the opportunity to experience Japanese festivals is important to you and you would also be wise to compare time in port during summer compared to more comfortable time of year.

We did use the hop on hop off bus a lot these are mostly called loop buses.  If it wasnt so hot we probably would have walked more but the heat knocked us out.   We still saw a lot and absorbed the culture of this beautiful country.  

Edited by Tara Jane

1 hour ago, knippsel said:

Thank you both for your info.  PetB, just curious - were you still able to sightsee much?

The weather did not stop us sightseeing at all.

We were both aged 65 (then) and are fairly active.

We travelled in our winter, you will be travelling in your summer.

All transportation from the ship was air conditioned.  Most excursions had a shopping session included. I normally hate these, but these venues had good air conditioning as well.  

If you’re running half marathons please don’t take offence at the following suggestions:

• Take water with you and wear a hat and sensible clothing.  We usually wear gear designed for outdoor activity on shore excursions rather than jeans etc.

• If you have concerns you still have plenty of time to build up to it eg walking 2 - 3 km a day for 4 days / week between now and your departure will make the walking part of the excursions easier.  You could use that walking time to listen to travel podcasts.

Hi Kathy

I just noticed neither of us answered your question about layng low duting the day as in some parts of Europe.

No that doesn't happen.

People are out and about all day  shops restaurants attractions etc all open.

You will see a lot of ladies with sun umbrellas.  Special neck ties filled with coolling gel that go in the fridge overnight after soaking in water were my life saver.  I bought mine during a 2009 trip and used it every summer since including now in our 40+ heat in Australia.

Edited by Tara Jane