elkdude

Has anyone actually used the Best-Western / Newark Airport Park/Cruise package when sailing out of Bayonne / Cape Liberty? We are sailing on RCCL Explorer of the Seas in June 2006, driving in from Ohio. Looking for a decent place to stay the night before; ideally with parking & shuttle to pier. All feedback is appreciated!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Elkdude and co-Buckeye! (I'm formerly from Bedford),

We're heading out of Cape Liberty on the Explorer on June 11 and am looking at hotels right now too. Checking posts for any reviews/feedback from anyone regarding hotels there. The BW seems to be the closest and offer shuttle service to the port but not sure about from Newark Airport.

Hopefully someone will resond with any insight to hotels around Cape Liberty! :) Anyone?!!!

This may help you. I have also been searching for hotels as I am leaving out of Cape Liberty but on Celebrity. Go to Celebrity cruiselines and put in the "Search this Forum" Newark hotels and all sorts of info comes up. Hope this helps.

Marilyn

That area is so bad, loud and congested that I would do anything in my power to stay away from the Newark Airport.

Jersey City is a much more pleasant experience and some of the hotels have ferry and PATH direct to Midtown Manhattan.

Try the Sheraton Suites On The Hudson. Sweeping views of the Manhattan Skyline and direct ferry to Midtown.

I can't think of a more horrible start to a cruise than a Newark Airport hotel.

A note regarding the Sheraton Suites (in Weekawken)... the ferry at their door doesn't run on weekends, so keep that in mind for all you weekend cruisers who want to visit Manhattan (or are counting on the ferry service to take you across the river the day of embarkation). Also, the ferry is not cheap (~$6/pp each way)... but it sure is a great way to travel on a nice.

In my opinion, the Jersey City hotels on the waterfront are currently the best choice in the area. I say currently as they have just broken ground on a new W Hotel in Hoboken, which once open, will likely be the best in the area.

Hi Elkdude and co-Buckeye! (I'm formerly from Bedford),

We're heading out of Cape Liberty on the Explorer on June 11 and am looking at hotels right now too. Checking posts for any reviews/feedback from anyone regarding hotels there. The BW seems to be the closest and offer shuttle service to the port but not sure about from Newark Airport.

Hopefully someone will resond with any insight to hotels around Cape Liberty! :) Anyone?!!!

We are booked on Explorer on June 30. I keep reading bad things about the Newark airport area ... I got a reservation at the Best Western, but now I'm not so sure. It is really only a place to stay & park; we won't arrive until late the day before the cruise, so don't really care about sightseeing. I just hope it will be safe given all the negative comments on the Celebrity board.

We are booked on Explorer on June 30. I keep reading bad things about the Newark airport area ... I got a reservation at the Best Western, but now I'm not so sure. It is really only a place to stay & park; we won't arrive until late the day before the cruise, so don't really care about sightseeing. I just hope it will be safe given all the negative comments on the Celebrity board.

If you are hearing negative comments, heed them and don't stay there.

Newark is a dismal place to stay. Between the traffic, the airport, the industrial look, and the crime, I avoid it like the plague.

Yes, Newark is not the garden spot of the nation, so finding a good place will be hard. Waterfront hotels is good advice. Trip Advisor is a great tool, I'll access that to check it out, thanks Marilyn. I have other cities plugged in there might as well add Newark. A lot of the hotel websites don't include info about being near Cape Liberty Port either. Must not be a draw for them since it's only RCCL that use it right now.

Will keep checking around. Oh, and thanks for the tidbit on the ferry not running on the weekend at the Sheraton. That can make a difference. Aren't there ferries as well that run to the Statue of Liberty now that it's reopened? Any other info is appreciated!

Have a great weekend everyone!

If you do want to stay near Newark Airport, my recommendation would be in the Hotel Complex, accross from the Jersey Gardens outlet mall, and Ikea also near by.Its in Elizabeth, NJ I know they do offer a free Airport Shuttle.

Hotels there include Country Inn and Suites(Very Nice) free breakfast, Courtyard by Marriott, Extended Stay America,And a Hilton brand that the name Just escapes me.There is also a Ruby Tueday in the Complex.

There is nothing, but a condo complex where the ships dock.

It's a very accessable port to drive to though

Diane G

I'll be staying at the Best Western Newark Airport location for the third time pre flight in a few weeks. I agree, the location is a little scary. Certainly nothing to walk to, nor would you want to because it is in an industrial area, not a commercial area.

As I mentioned, I use it for pre flight and the free 10 days parking. I arrive late in the afternoon, am checked into my large clean room by a very pleasant staff, relax for a bit, then head for the bar on premises. The drinks are reasonably priced and they do serve food in the evenings.

In the morn, I find their free Continental breakfast and staff very pleasant. Afterwards, I gather my belongings and head for the airport on their timely shuttle and on return to the airport again I'm picked up in a timely manner and returned to the hotel. And yes, they do have service to the port in Bayonne as well and as far as I know for $155.00 for up to four people, they are the only hotel that offers this service!

All in all, $120.00 pre flight for an oversized accomodation, a relaxing evening, free breakfast, 10 days free parking and shuttle service, I'm pleased. I'm not going to the hotel for the view or a walk in a nice park, I'm going there to fly out of Newark Airport and it serves my needs perfectly for that purpose.

Good luck with your decision!:)

Stayed there in Nov. to cruise on the Voyager. Excellent staff and service. Transportation to pier was a breeze. Nice room. Agree, the area stinks, but grab your beer, sit and relax and log on to the high speed internet in your room if you bring a laptop. You cannot get a better deal in Newark!

In my opinion, the Jersey City hotels on the waterfront are currently the best choice in the area. I say currently as they have just broken ground on a new W Hotel in Hoboken, which once open, will likely be the best in the area.

Just what you'd expect to hear from someone who lives in Hoboken! LOL

Stayed there in Nov. to cruise on the Voyager. Excellent staff and service. Transportation to pier was a breeze. Nice room. Agree, the area stinks, but grab your beer, sit and relax and log on to the high speed internet in your room if you bring a laptop. You cannot get a better deal in Newark!

Thanks Joleda; there are 11 of us arriving late-evening the day before cruise. Mainly want the parking & shuttle to pier. Did they require you to leave keys and/or valet or is it self-park? Also, any trouble getting the shuttle back to the hotel parking upon returning?

Thanks for your help!

Thanks Joleda; there are 11 of us arriving late-evening the day before cruise. Mainly want the parking & shuttle to pier. Did they require you to leave keys and/or valet or is it self-park? Also, any trouble getting the shuttle back to the hotel parking upon returning?

Thanks for your help!

Sorry for not getting back sooner. They have valet type after you remove your luggage. They park it in a fenced area in the rear and when you come back they pull it up for you. Getting the shuttle coming back isn't the prettiest. You have to go all the way to Lot 5 (I believe) and it's a haul! Up elevators, across terminals, on the tram and then back down. Be sure and piggy back everything and be sure they are all on wheels! We had one blow out, so that didn't help matters, but it was still worth the money! Just call them on the cell when you get there. They give you a ticket with information on how to get the shuttle back. Be sure and read it!

Dave

Archived