A little background...My family and I have been on one cruise.  It was to Alaska from Seattle for 7 days on Holland America's Rotterdam. The trip out of Seattle was very rough, and I was so motion sick that I was in bed for the first two days.  After the waters calmed (in the inside passage), I was okay for the last five days. (My husband and one of my daughters didn't feel well either...I was just the worst.) I took bonine, ginger tablets, wrist bands, and put on the patch after a couple days.. We enjoyed the cruise, but we have been very wary of trying another cruise... but that's been 10 years ago, and we are considering another cruise next May (2020) because so many of our family members go and say the Bahamas/Caribbean are much smoother than the waters outside Seattle.  Here are the things we are considering (shorter cruises to see how things go)...By the way, I should add that my 14 year old daughter will be going with us.

Royal Caribbean from Orlando on Mariner of the Seas 4 days to the Bahamas (stops in Nassau and an island).

Carnival Elation from Orlando 5 days (Nassau, Princess Cays, and Grand Turk)

Disney 3 night or 4 night Bahamas (Nassau, Castaway Cay)

I'd appreciate any thoughts on these itineraries with my issues and my daughters age.  She likes lots of activities..She's very athletic.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

• 3 weeks later...

I have not been to any of those ports and I only cruise on Carnival, so I am not sure how helpful this will be, but... The Carnival Elation is my favorite ship. It is smaller than most of the other ships and to me it seems less crowded. My daughter was 12 the last time we were on it and had a blast. She enjoyed the mini gulf, circle c activities, and the trivia. 

Whichever cruise you pick, I highly recommend avoiding a cabin in the front. It is often way bouncier. A midship cabin may work better for seasickness issues.

• 2 months later...

I am a frequent cruiser who also gets seasick.  Somethings I have learned

1.  try to get a cabin low and mid ship if possible, the ship rocks the least there

2.  If you use the patch, it works best if put on prior to boarding or as soon as you notice an issue.  It also can cause dry mouth

3.  If feeling queasy, stare at the horizon if possible, it seems to help

4.  avoid excursions that involve riding on a small boat,  that is where it hits me the most

I didn't care for Nassau but it was cold and we did not do an excursion so you may do better,  On Grand Turk, you can get off the ship, walk a short way down the beach to get away from the crowd or swim at Margaritaville which has a nice pool if you don't choose to do an excursion.

Whichever you choose, Have a great time

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been on any of these ships, but have been to Nassau and Grand Turk. I have two kids ages 17 and 13 and when we were in Nassau, we enjoyed going over to Atlantis. They enjoyed the waterslides and beach and the resort is beautiful. The town of Nassau itself isn't my favorite, so definitely make plans for something. In Grand Turk, we rented a golf cart and explored the island. The kids had fun doing this. Afterward, we spent time at the pool at Margaritaville. There are some nice shops around there as well.

I do get seasick on cruises too. I start taking Dramamine in the morning before boarding the ship to get it in my system. I have heard taking it the day before helps too. If I don't take it, I end up sick by dinner but I have no problems if I take the Dramamine. My kids get sick too and are fine if they take it. I think the shorter cruise is a good idea. I can definitely understand your concern about sailing again!