Escape vs Bliss and other questions

squick64

I'm sort of considering booking the 16-day Panama Canal on the Bliss in 2020 and wanted to get a little input. 🙂

I've been on the Escape--how does the Bliss compare? Better? Worse? The same? I was happy enough with the Escape, so if the Bliss is at least as good as that, then I guess I'll be OK.

I'm traveling solo, but I'm seriously weighing a balcony rather than a studio because it's a 16-day trip and I think the studio might get old after 2 weeks (I was in one on the Escape--it was fine but very awkward). (I know it will limit my access to the solos, but I can probably deal with that. And of course, the balcony costs WAY more, although I'm hoping the prices come down before then as it's nearly 2 years away.) Anyway, I don't normally book balconies, but would deck 14 be a good location (2 decks below Lido)? Something like that? I like being mid-ship, although I see that that's going to probably cost a bit more.

Balconies and above come with free UBP, UDP, internet, excursion credits, etc. Does anyone know how many days of dining credit they give on a 16-day cruise? It's listed as "up to 5" somewhere--is it still 5 for a cruise that long, or do they give you more?

Thanks!

42 minutes ago, squick64 said:

Does anyone know how many days of dining credit they give on a 16-day cruise? It's listed as "up to 5" somewhere--is it still 5 for a cruise that long, or do they give you more?

Sail Length # Of Dining
Package Meals
Retail Value 20% Gratuities
3-4 Nights 1 $25 per person $5.00 per package
5-6 Nights 2 $69 per person $13.80 per package
7-8 Nights 3 $79 per person $15.80 per package
9-10 Nights 4 $94 per person $18.80 per package
11+ Nights 5 $109 per person $21.80 per package

As far as pricing goes don't count on the price dropping. I booked our 15 day Panama Canal for next month on the Bliss all the way back in May in May 2017. The price never went down and our inside cabin went up over $2500 over time ..... Yes, $2500 more for a simple inside. If you can afford the balcony now I suggest you book it ....... If I didn't book when I did I wouldn't be going on this expensive cruise with the kids. 

I liked some of the unique features on Bliss like the racetrack, observation lounge, Los Lobos. But all of the public spaces were so much smaller on Bliss than on Escape. For example, The Local (Osheehans on Escape) was half the size. And smaller spaces = more crowded seating/areas, etc. so that was a factor for me. 

Obviously not a huge factor since I booked Encore for later this year and I expect it to be nearly identical, but a factor nonetheless.

On 1/24/2019 at 3:15 PM, squick64 said:

OK, thanks. I imagine I'll want more. I'm not a huge fan of their MDRs.

I'm also now debating getting a spa balcony, if I'm already spending this much money. 😄 They look very nice.

DO IT. The thermal suite on Bliss is heavenly.