Just did Eli's Xtreme Circumnav - What a Blast!

erniesband

We did Eli's new Xtreme Circumnav tour a week ago today (got home just this Sunday), and had a blast! Once again, this was the best day of our cruise. We've done the EcoTour 3 times, and wanted to experience his new tour. This definitely isn't the EcoTour (although it's just as personal, interesting and fun-filled). For now, Eli's captaining this one himself, with assistance from 2 crew members. The day we went out, it was a rougher than normal day, and we were out in the Atlantic in 7-9 foot seas. The boat handled them beautifully, but it was significantly rougher than usual. The boat is high-powered and fun - if you're going to sit up front the ride can be a little (okay, a lot) rougher, and you're more likely to get wet sitting a the back of the boat. Seats are padded, and there is shade, if you don't want to spend all day sitting in the sun.

First stop was to see the stingrays. Plenty of friendly rays in a protected area. Most of the water is shallow (I'm SHORT, and it was walkable for me). There is some snorkeling in the area, too. Stingray City is run by people who live in the village near by - they guard the area at night to make sure no one harms the rays or the fish, as well as run the visits during the day. If you're on a ship with a Stingray City excursion, there are only 2 ways to get to Stingray City - take the ship's excursion, or come on Eli's tour. Because Stingray City is contracted with the cruise line, they won't take independent cruisers.

Next stop, Green Island, for some swimming, hiking, and a great lunch! The same person who makes the lunches for the EcoTour caters the Xtreme, and you're treated to delicious barbeque chicken, pasta, salad, fried plantains and banana bread for lunch. Yum! By the way, refreshments during the day include passion fruit juice, tamarind juice, coke at lunch, and Eli's famous rum punch later in the day.

And on around the island, next "stop" is at English Harbor. It's not really a stop - it's a tour through the harbor on the boat, complete with explanations, history, and a great look at the magnificent yachts docked there.

English Harbor is followed by a snorkeling stop, usually right outside of English Harbor at the Pillars of Hercules. Unfortunately, weather conditions made for less than optimal snorkeling the day we did the tour, with low visibility. Those who got in the water said they did see some interesting fish.

Last stop of the day was a Rendezvous Beach, a secluded spot that can be reached only by boat or backpacking in. That's where the rum punch was served. It's a nice beach, with calm water for swimming, and an area to gather some shells.

Then back to the pier. Along the way you see most of Antigua's 365 beaches, get a bunch of interesting information, get a gander at Eric Clapton's house, and experience an exciting ride that takes you in and out of the Atlantic. If it's the right time of year, and you're lucky, you may see a whale off in the distance (we weren't that lucky :D ). All in all, you'll have a great time. It's a full day of fun, especially if you feel the need for speed. This tour isn't for everyone, though - it can get rough, and you spend more time in the boat than you do on the EcoTour. Check it out at http://www.adventureantigua.com, read about both tours, and pick the one that will suit you best.

Would be glad to answer any questions.

Jodi and Ernie

Hi Jodie & Ernie,

Great Review!!!! I have been waiting for someone to post a detailed review of the Xtreme Circumnav. Well done.

This will be my first time in Antigua and I was hoping you could point me in the right direction considering you have done both tours. Any recommendations on which one I should take?

As of right now, I am leaning more towards the first tour because I am not sure if the added price is justified. However, the second tour definitely appeals to my adventurous side. Any toughts on this?

Thanks again for the great review and I look foward to hearing your response.

Hi Jodie & Ernie,

Great Review!!!! I have been waiting for someone to post a detailed review of the Xtreme Circumnav. Well done.

This will be my first time in Antigua and I was hoping you could point me in the right direction considering you have done both tours. Any recommendations on which one I should take?

As of right now, I am leaning more towards the first tour because I am not sure if the added price is justified. However, the second tour definitely appeals to my adventurous side. Any toughts on this?

Thanks again for the great review and I look foward to hearing your response.

Depnds on what your looking for. The Eco-Tour would be more laid back than the Extreme. On the Extreme you would get to see the whole island. My personal recommendation would be to do the Eco-Tour first and the Extreme second if you ever go back to Antigua. But, if the Eco-Tour is booked up I wouldn't hesitate to do the Extreme.

Ernie

Depnds on what your looking for. The Eco-Tour would be more laid back than the Extreme. On the Extreme you would get to see the whole island. My personal recommendation would be to do the Eco-Tour first and the Extreme second if you ever go back to Antigua. But, if the Eco-Tour is booked up I wouldn't hesitate to do the Extreme.

Ernie

Thanks again for all the insight!!! I have a couple more questions if you don't mind.

Which tour is better for snorkling? Which has better sites (landmarks, beaches, etc)? In your opinion, are the places you visit on the Xtreme better than the places you visit on the regular Eco Tour?

I am currently booked in the regular Eco Tour, but I am concerned that it will be a little boring. I consider myself to be pretty adventurous. I have been to Sting Ray City in the Cayman Islands, so the sting ray experience wouldn't be a first. Thanks again

Erniesband, Thanks for your detailed review. We did the eco two years ago and Eli is one reason we wanted to go back to Antigua. We are booked on Feb 8th. How long did your tour last. Looking forward to food, the punch and the great historian that Eli is. How many were on your tour? Thanks again for doing the compairison. Great job and very informative.

Cindy

Honestly, the opportunity to visit Eli and take one of his tours plays a large part in our decision-making process when choosing a cruise. We love going back to Antigua!

Our tour was an all-day tour. We left before the Eco-Tour folks, about 8:45, I think, and got back a little after they did, although they came in a little early that day, probably because some of their passengers had asked to be back a little early. There were 9 of us - the 3 of us, another couple on Serenade, and 2 couples doing land vacations.

The food and refreshments (punch and juices) were good as ever - in fact, I've asked for the recipe for the chicken. Eli gave us plenty of great tips and tidbits, some of which we'd heard before, many of which were all new, since we were going to places we hadn't been before, like English Harbor. It's hard to say which tour has better snorkeling, since we didn't get to do a lot of snorkeling due to the conditions that day. We've had good to excellent snorkeling on the eco tour, and really like Hell's Gate and Bird Island. I don't think you'd be bored doing that trip. I wouldn't say either one was better than the other - just different. Hell's Gate is definitely not boring. A lot of the excitement of the Xtreme is being out in the Atlantic going about 40 knots on that speedboat. I meant to find people who had been on the catamaran excursion when we got back and see how they liked being in our wake, but never did. I'm sure they got quite a ride. And you're right, we've been to Sting Ray City in the Caymens (in fact the same guy helped with this one initially), so that wasn't a big deal.

Jodi

• 1 month later...

erniesband,

Can you give a quick itinerary of both tours? I am still split on which to book and running out of time. I see plus and minus in both catagories! HELP ADVISE PLEASE!

Plus's of Xtreme:

Fast boat, stingrays - cool!, Eli captains the boat, see the whole island

Negatives of Xtreme

Not many stops, pricey

Plus's of Eco Tour

stops at Hells Gate (other places?), price, seems more educational concerning the island

Negatives

No Eli,sounds a little slow, might have more kids on trip.

I think I've got old timer's disease :rolleyes:. I can tell you what you do on the tours, but not the exact order:

Xtreme:

Stingrays, then a stop on Green Island for a little hiking and some great lunch, then on to English Harbor for a harbor tour, then snorkeling at Pillars of Hercules, then a beach stop (Rendezvous?), where the rum punch makes its appearance, and where you can swim or walk the beach, then the rest of the way around the island back to the ship.

Eco-Tour - there's snorkeling, the climb on Hell's Gate, which is also a snorkeling opportunity, if you prefer, Bird Island, where you can hike to the top for some great views, lunch at Bird Island. Plus you get lots of info, see the mangroves, several of the off-shore islands.

Both tours are full day, in comfortable boats with heads, great crew. Can't go wrong either way!

Jodi

Archived