Excursions to see native wildlife

CJDepew

Looks like we're hitting Alaska during the summer of 2020. Ports will be Juneau, Skagway and Ketchican. My husband and I would love an opportunity to see (or attempt to see) some land species native to Alaska. Any tour suggestions for those ports?

Thanks

It would be bear tours?    Be very  aware of timing.   Overall,  you'd need to visit later July through Sept.    for the tours.    Tours have significantly more success.  But,  you can also "chance" spot wildlife.   However-  you HAVE to be looking.  :)     It requires a huge investment in time for my priorities,   which few are willing to do. Consequently,  I frequently get asked what "time'  to be out.   :)     

I do have an advantage of knowing the details of ship routes and more likely areas.    IF intend on your search,  then educate yourself on this.  :)      I am hugely  successful and great enjoy the unexpected Alaska treasures.   

I know you said land animals, but Juneau is an excellent place for a whale watching trip.  You can see them much better from these trips than you can from the cruise ship, and it's a feeding area with near 100% sightings.  There are trips run through the cruise ship, but there are also lots of private vendors as well- we used Harv and Marv and loved our trip.

Not sure if deer count, but I've seen them on trails around Ketchikan twice.  People I know have seen bears at Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau during salmon runs (late July and August, usually).  I saw a porcupine there.  I've seen bears (from a distance) in Glacier Bay.  It's all up to luck, however.  If you're really set on bears, go later in the summer and splurge on a bear tour.  That will give you the best chance.  And I know you're looking for land mammals, but I agree that the sea mammals are awesome.  Just spend a lot of time on deck watching, and you're likely to see something.  Some trips I've seen whales, orcas, dolphins, porpoises, seals, seal lions, AND otters.  Others didn't have so many sightings, but I've never been on an Alaska cruise where I didn't see some sort of marine mammal.  

He's kinda hard to see, but here's the porcupine at Mendenhall:  https://www.melindabrasher.com/2014/09/juneau-alaska.html