Passport expiring during the cruise?

PIPER618

My brother told me today that he retreved his passport from safety deposit box today. He found that it will expire next week during our Paradise cruise.

My question is will he have a problem boarding?

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

PARADISE 4/2004

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=4>

<param name="day" value=11>

<param name="hour" value=16>

</applet>

PARADISE 4/2004

You know I am not sure but it might be faster to renew a passport than to get a new one. You might want to phone your local passport official and inquire.

doris

"I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine"--Caskie Stinnett

Elation 10/20/02

Paradise 9/21/03

Star Princess 10/24/04

I think he better take his birth certificate. Last yr when DD was going to London for a semester her passport was going to expire w/i a month of returning and she was told to renew, good thing she had 6 weeks before she left when she realized it.

Debbie

Carnival Destiny 2/8/04

Grand Princess 7/6/03

RCL - Nordic Empress 2/03 & 4/02

Crown Dynasty 7/00

Queen of Bermuda 7/87

Carnival - Mardi Gras 11/75

The passport for his cruise is used as ID only as it is not required by any of the ports he will be visiting, therefore for ID purposes only (as in his case) the passport is good for 10 years past its expiration date, but would not be any good if as a valid passport in countries that require then. In countries that require passports, most of those countries require a passport that is valid (not expired) for a minimum of 6 months past the time before leaving their country.

This is from the website...

Proper travel documentation is the responsibility of the guest and is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. Guests traveling without proper documentation will not be allowed to board the vessel, and will not be refunded the cruise fare.

Documents must be presented at the time of embarkation.

United States citizens need at least one of the following

• A passport (valid or expired for less than 10 years)• An original birth certificate and photo I.D.

• A state-issued certified copy of a birth certificate from the

Department of Health and Vital Statistics and photo I.D.

• A U.S. Military ID (no dependent IDs)

• Valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-Entry Visa, if applicable

• Aliens eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Pilot Program must have a valid unexpired passport

• Original Naturalization papers

U.S. Permanent Residents need:

• A valid Permanent Resident Card

Canadian citizens need at least one of the following:

• A valid passport

• An original birth certificate or certified copy of a birth certificate and photo I.D.

Non-U.S. citizens need:

• A valid passport

• A valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-Entry Visa, if applicable

Non-U.S. citizens eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Pilot Program must still have a valid, unexpired passport.

For sailings calling on Canadian ports of call, certain foreignnationals must obtain a Canadian visa in addition to the multiple-entry visa.

For sailings calling on Bermuda, U.S. Alien Residents will need a valid passport (or a birth certificate and official photo ID) in addition to their Alien Resident Card.

Non-U.S. citizens must contact the appropriate consulates, U.S. Embassy and U.S. Immigration office to inquire about necessary travel documentation. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of Immigration requirements. All Non-U.S. citizens and U.S. Permanent Residents must surrender their passport and/or Permanent Resident cards at time of embarkation. These documents will be returned upon completion of the Immigration inspection.

Guest planning to debark in Mexico for more than 24 hours must obtain a Mexican Tourist Card from either a travel agent or a Mexican consulate prior to their departure. Additionally, guests debarking with children must have a notarized affidavit from any absent parent indicating permission to travel with the accompanying adult.

In addition to the above requirements, all guests 16 years of age or older, must provide an official photo I.D. It is important that guest names on travel documents (passport, Permanent Resident card, birth certificates, etc.) be identical to those on the cruise and airlines tickets. If not, proof of name change (i.e., a marriage license) OR a valid driver’s license or government issued photo ID (i.e., U.S. Military ID) must be presented.

Click here in order to complete Carnival's FunPass, your online boarding pass. This will help expedite your check-in on your long-anticipated cruise vacation.

Disney Magic 5/02

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;30;22;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Carnival Destiny =) 5/30/2004

As above poster noted, an expired passport is ok for cruise travel because it is only used as ID. If traveling overseas, you have to renew 6 months before it expires.

Judy

Celebration 2/96

Imagination 2/97

Fascination 12/97

Imagination 3/99

Spirit 11/01

Sensation 1/02

Pride 11/02

Voyager of the Seas 5/03

Conquest 10/04

The web page were you can contact them is www.travel.state.gov/passport_service.html they will send you an email if you send them one.

Expidite comes to mind. You can also call them with questions.

Becky

http://community.webshots.com/user/bjkeen100

Miracle Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;11;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

May Eastern Caribbean Carnival Cruise 2006

Miracle 2004

Pride 2003

Regent Rainbow

Sensation 2000

Fantasy 1996, 2001

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PIPER618:

My brother told me today that he retreved his passport from safety deposit box today. He found that it will expire next week during our Paradise cruise.

My question is will he have a problem boarding?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While I'm not an advocate of DL/BC or marriage certificates as a form of ID I'd take the documentation just to be on the safe side.

Also if you live near a passport service center you can go there and get it renewed in a couple of hours but you have to have documentation proving that you are traveling on such and such a date - at least that's how it works in D.C.

http://travel.state.gov/passport_services.html

When will people realize that Carnival IS NOT U.S. Customs and therefore don't set the requirements for entry BACK INTO THE U.S.

Liv...Winds are 15 knots and holding....the whole world is a drop zone!

cs-ts-746.jpg

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Until the SINsational Cruise from the Bayou

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2002;2;9;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Talk about SCD!!

NCL Sky 2/02

[This message was edited by livtojump on 04-08-04 at 09:44 AM.]

Thanks for the help I will advise him. I see that his passport will be fine as an ID with our cruise.

Thanks everyone for the quick responds.

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

PARADISE 4/2004

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=4>

<param name="day" value=11>

<param name="hour" value=16>

</applet>

PARADISE 4/2004

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PIPER618:

Thanks for the help I will advise him. I see that his passport will be fine as an ID with our cruise.

Thanks everyone for the quick responds.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BUT NOT VALID FOR RE-ENTRY TO THE STATES

Liv...Winds are 15 knots and holding....the whole world is a drop zone!

cs-ts-746.jpg

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Until the SINsational Cruise from the Bayou

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2002;2;9;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Talk about SCD!!

NCL Sky 2/02

Archived