First timer wanting family beach with easy transportation options

longhornchick99

Hi!

I have been reviewing many of the forum posts and have some specific questions for our group.  I apologize in advance if any of these questions are redundant to other forum posts. 

1) Is it pretty easy to do a beach trip by yourself and not through the ship excursion?  We waited to long to book on ship, and now the beach excursions are sold out.  We are seasoned travelers and have done excursions on our own in the past; however, traveling with a 7 year old makes it a bit more intimidating than doing it on your own with just adults.  

2) What family beach is recommended?  I have seen info on Jost Van Dyke Beach, Brewers Bay and CGB beaches.  Which one is best for a family?  Is there one we are missing?  What's most appealing to us is somewhere with umbrellas and chairs, amenities (food/bathrooms) and easily accessible.  It would be helpful if other families/children are around.

3) Recommendations on transportation to these beaches?  I've read about the group taxi's for $8.  How safe is it, and how do you go about getting tickets/seat on them?

4) How is the Island recovering from the Hurricane?  I know it's been a year and a half since it hit, and I was just wondering how the recovery efforts have gone.

Thanks so much in advance for your guidance!!

Cane Garden Bay would meet all of your requests and is the easiest beach to get to. No need to book an excursion through the ship, taxis line up at the dock to deliver folks to CGB and fewer numbers to Brewers Bay which is less developed and has few amenities. There are several beach restaurants in CGB, some offering lounges and umbrellas. We like Myett’s whose restaurant is now affiliated with Pusser's.

The group (shared) safari taxi is $8pp each way (1/2 fare for your 7 year old), and it is over some steep and winding roads but with great views and scenery. The taxis will line up in CGB to return you to the cruise dock, no worries. You can also ask for a private sedan or van taxi if you prefer that, the nice ladies at the information center are happy to help.

Enjoy gorgeous Tortola and CGB!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, blue_water said:

Cane Garden Bay would meet all of your requests and is the easiest beach to get to. No need to book an excursion through the ship, taxis line up at the dock to deliver folks to CGB and fewer numbers to Brewers Bay which is less developed and has few amenities. There are several beach restaurants in CGB, some offering lounges and umbrellas. We like Myett’s whose restaurant is now affiliated with Pusser's.

The group (shared) safari taxi is $8pp each way (1/2 fare for your 7 year old), and it is over some steep and winding roads but with great views and scenery. The taxis will line up in CGB to return you to the cruise dock, no worries. You can also ask for a private sedan or van taxi if you prefer that, the nice ladies at the information center are happy to help.

Enjoy gorgeous Tortola and CGB!

Hi there, I also have a similar concern. For the taxis at the port is it likely we can get a private mini van or something similar that can take a family of 5? And in a vehicle with seat belts. We have a 9 month old with us so would need to bring her car seat. I know it’s not the most convienent but we need to make sure she is strapped in safe. And is Cane garden bay the closest and easiest to get to? Will there be similar vehicles for returning to port? Or will the drivers plan to come back for us? And what is the cost of private transportation. Is there a close beach you recommended? Thanks again 

Yes CGB is the most popular and closest and you can hire a van driver to use the car seat, he/she will offer to return for you. Don't know the fare, it should be the same as the shared fare but may be a little more.

A new alternative is Long Bay (Beef Island), not to be confused with Long Bay (West End), this may be offered through the ship, not sure. But would suggest CGB unless the gals at the visitor center have more details on amenities at LB Beef...

Edited by blue_water