Tipping: Before, After, During?

Kartz125

Ok Carnival Cruisers, what is the correct tipping process? Do I have them charge my sign and sail before hand for the amount they suggest? Or do I tip as I go along for drinks and such? Or do I do it as my total bill is being tallied?
Who should get the actual dollars handed to them? Feels like I am going to be tipping everyone and their sister.
Thanks, Angela

All tips (dining steward, room steward, asst waiter) will be added to your S&S. Exceptions are massage/spa services and room service. The drinks you order have tips built in to them.

Militant Breastfeeding & Homebirth Proponent-Sandra Carmichael

Mardi Gras 6/79
Mardi Gras 6/79
(back to back cruises)
Celebration 8/02
Splendour of the Seas 3/03
Jubilee 7/03
Conquest 1/04
Celebration 1/04
Elation 2/04
Elation *coming again* 1/05

Hi again Angela.

Carnival automatically puts the tips (first item) on your Sign & Sail account. This amounts to $10 per person, per day. Most folks leave the tips intact; some have them removed, and others adjust them. You have to see the Purser for any changes. If you want to leave them as is, you don't have to do anything.

For drinks in the lounges, there is an automatic 15% added to your bill (which goes on the S&S card).

If you feel anyone deserves MORE than the tip on the S&S account, you may tip them individually.

What I do is leave the tips on the acount, and tip my cabin steward a little extra at the end of the cruise, as well as (maybe) the dining room waiters.

The only other tips involved would be for the porters at the dock and room service personnel. I tip $1 for coffee/danish only...$2 if I order sandwich, cookies, etc.

Festivale 1987
Carnivale 1988
Mardi Gras 1989
Pacific Princess 1990
Norway 1994
Holiday 2001
Holiday 2002
Holiday 2003

15% for bar service is added to your bill at the time service is rendered. This goes straight onto your S&S account.

$10/day/pp for dining staff/cabin steward will be charged to your S&S on the very first day. You may adjust this amount up or down at the Purser's office near the end of the cruise. You may also have it removed entirely if you choose to extend gratuities in the "traditional" fashion on the last night.

I leave the automatic tips in place and then give extra $ in person on the last night to those staff members who have gone above and beyond. Last time on the Triumph this naturally included our dining room waiter and assistant, our cabin steward, and two very special individuals, the bar waitress who had been assigned to our table in the dining room, and one from the Venetia Lounge where we spent a LOT of time compared to other places.

As Cotton mentioned above, cabin service delivery may be tipped when the order arrives. Stevedores at the pier are not Carnival employees, but should definitely be tipped.

In addition, do not neglect to mention any exemplary employees BY NAME on your comment card at the end of the cruise.

[B]Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas[/B]

[img]http://www.curlingzone.com/forums/images/imgcommentary_hackstone.jpg[/img]

[img]http://sympatico.animfactory.com/animations/music/misc/bagpiper_piping_md_wht.gif[/img]

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:
Shhhh, it's a surprise!

We will probably leave the amount on our S & S card, and then tip extra as needed.

I also strongly agree with mentioning names for exemplary service. Too often it goes unnoticed and I'm sure it's a great feeling to know that a crew member is recognized for doing a great job. Seems we don't hesitate as a society to let someone know when something goes wrong, but we often fail to speak up when things go really well. I make it a point to do so!

Lisa and Mark [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Monarch of the Seas - '94
Royal Majesty - '96

Countdown to VICTORY
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;9;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Archived