Suggestions for Majestic Fjords excursions

snookie1

We are sailing on the May 16-27 Majestic Fjords and Vibrant Cities cruise.  We are trying to decide on excursions for each port.  I know, we have 30+ days to go until we can register, but I would like to have some ideas.   We are in a V1 cabin, so I expect we may not be able to get all our first choices.

COPENHAGEN:  We've been before and done the canal cruise, as well as a city walk-about and Trivoli Gardens.  Any other suggestions?

BERLIN:  Been there too, so we were thinking of taking the included tour at Rostock.  Is the:re anything to see in Warnemunde?  

AALBORG:  We don't dock until 1:30, so after the included tour it will be late.  Leave at 8PM.   Anything close to the pier?

GOTHENBURG:  Looking at the West Coast Island Discovery.  Any thoughts on that?  Or have you done something else you enjoyed?

OSLO:  Spending 2 days here.  In addition to the included excursion, I thought we'd get the Oslo Pass and see some of the museums on Bygdoy.  What have you done there?

KRISTIANSAND:  Excursions "Kristiansand and Surroundings" and "Ravnedalen Park and Panoramic Coastal Drive" sound interesting.  A bit expensive though.

STAVANGER:  Pulpit Rock sounds beautiful, but is it that special from the water?  I've read it is cheaper to take a local tour company.  Any other ideas?

EIDFJORD:  This is the one excursion we REALLY, REALLY want to do:  The Scenic Flam Railway.  I am worried it will be sold out by the time we can sign up.

BERGEN:  Maybe Grieg's House and Recital and Fantoft Stave Church?  Or The Best of Bergen and Mt Floien?  Any other suggestions?

We love scenic and historical places, and strenuous activities are out.  We like to do some things on our own, but get a bit uncomfortable if we have to follow multiple directions or use a lot of public transport, especially if we do not know the language (which is pretty much everywhere we are going this trip).

For those of you who have been, any idea what the weather might be like in later May?  I will bring layers, but will I need the lightweight down jackets?

This is a Dream Trip for us, so any help would be so much appreciated!!!

18 hours ago, snookie1 said:

We are sailing on the May 16-27 Majestic Fjords and Vibrant Cities cruise.  We are trying to decide on excursions for each port.  I know, we have 30+ days to go until we can register, but I would like to have some ideas.   We are in a V1 cabin, so I expect we may not be able to get all our first choices.

COPENHAGEN:  We've been before and done the canal cruise, as well as a city walk-about and Trivoli Gardens.  Any other suggestions?

BERLIN:  Been there too, so we were thinking of taking the included tour at Rostock.  Is the:re anything to see in Warnemunde?  

AALBORG:  We don't dock until 1:30, so after the included tour it will be late.  Leave at 8PM.   Anything close to the pier?

GOTHENBURG:  Looking at the West Coast Island Discovery.  Any thoughts on that?  Or have you done something else you enjoyed?

OSLO:  Spending 2 days here.  In addition to the included excursion, I thought we'd get the Oslo Pass and see some of the museums on Bygdoy.  What have you done there?

KRISTIANSAND:  Excursions "Kristiansand and Surroundings" and "Ravnedalen Park and Panoramic Coastal Drive" sound interesting.  A bit expensive though.

STAVANGER:  Pulpit Rock sounds beautiful, but is it that special from the water?  I've read it is cheaper to take a local tour company.  Any other ideas?

EIDFJORD:  This is the one excursion we REALLY, REALLY want to do:  The Scenic Flam Railway.  I am worried it will be sold out by the time we can sign up.

BERGEN:  Maybe Grieg's House and Recital and Fantoft Stave Church?  Or The Best of Bergen and Mt Floien?  Any other suggestions?

We love scenic and historical places, and strenuous activities are out.  We like to do some things on our own, but get a bit uncomfortable if we have to follow multiple directions or use a lot of public transport, especially if we do not know the language (which is pretty much everywhere we are going this trip).

For those of you who have been, any idea what the weather might be like in later May?  I will bring layers, but will I need the lightweight down jackets?

This is a Dream Trip for us, so any help would be so much appreciated!!!

Do you have any extra time built into the trip?  is Viking handeling your travel?

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be doing this itinerary in June, so will be anxious to hear your comments after you take the cruise.

As for my past experience:

Oslo - Frogner Park to see all of the Vigeland statues is a "must see".  I also love the Norwegian Folk Museum, Viking Ship Museum, Radhuset (City Hall), Munch Museum, and Akarshus Fortress (probably right next to cruise ship dock).  Decades ago I visited the Kon Tiki Museum, and was interested because I had recently read the book.  But I'm not sure it will warrant a second visit for me.  If the weather is nice, it's fun to stroll up Karl Johan's Gate and see the Palace.  I'm planning to visit the Fram Museum for the first time this trip, and will revisit all of my other favorites listed above.

Bergen - the Mt. Floyen Funicular is always great...did it the last time in pouring rain.  As long as the clouds are high enough that you can still see the city, it's worth a trip.  Also worthwhile are Grieg's House and Fantoft Stave Church.  I'd hate to pick between them.  We're arriving 2 days early so have time to see lots of sites and hopefully visit relatives.

Eidfjord - Absolutely the Scenic Flam Railway is worthwhile.  It was one of our favorite tours on an earlier cruise that docked in Flam.  It's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

We also will be buying the Bergen Card and use mass transit to visit most of the sites on our own.  We'll buy it in advance, and pick it up at the airport since it also includes free light rail transportation from the airport to city center.  We'll then have a short taxi ride to our hotel, but it will save a lot of money.

Happy Travels!

For Stavanger, you might want to consider Rødne Fjord Cruise, Skagenkaien 35-37, N-4006 Stavanger, Telephone: +47 51 89 52 70, E-mail: mail@rodne.no

We did this in 2015 and had a great time.  We were on a Royal Caribbean ship, and this was a much better option than the ship offering to Pulpit Rock.  

For Eidfjord - the Scenic Flam Railway is a must.  You can purchase tickets online directly from NSB (just search Flam Railway tickets).  The station is a very short walk from the port.  Again, this was a much better option than the ship offering.  You don't have to worry about missing the ship - the cruise excursion passengers will be on the same trains.  

Thanks for the ideas.  We know that the Flam scenic railway is a "must-do", but I am concerned that that is probably a popular excursion, and being in the "V" category and having to wait until almost last to choose excursions, it will be sold out.  I thought about doing the railway on our own, but I looked on line and May is already sold out!  I guess we will have to hope someone drops out and we are able to snag it.