Norwegian Spirit Rough Seas

Log42

Now admittedly, I am not the most thorough person, but I have been checking the following for info

MSN, NY Times, Cruise Critic News, Cruise Diva, Cruise News Daily, Maritime Matters, AOL News, and NCL.com

and I still see nothing about the SPIRIT being damaged.

Did something really happen? I am sure it will not dirupt the voyages, but I am still interested. Especially since I leave on the SPIRIT on the 29th.

I know after the DAWN incident she never stopped cruising, so I am confident that if something happened the SPIRIT would keep on chugging. But, NCL had a statement up pretty quickly.

~Intrepid. :confused:

It was reported on the CBS & ABC noon TV news here in New York. They interviewed passengers who said about 4 cabins were damaged. It was reported that NCL would be giving the passengers in the damaged cabins a free future cruise. One passenger said he was an old sailor and it was no big deal. My kind of guy. It certainly won't discourage me from making all my future cruises out of New York.

It was reported on the CBS & ABC noon TV news here in New York. They interviewed passengers who said about 4 cabins were damaged. It was reported that NCL would be giving the passengers in the damaged cabins a free future cruise. One passenger said he was an old sailor and it was no big deal. My kind of guy. It certainly won't discourage me from making all my future cruises out of New York.

My boss just got back from the Spirit today - said it was really a rough ride - damage to ship. Hope to hear more later today. Must have been a lot of scared cruisers. Hopefully it won't affect future bookings from first time cruisers - never experienced anything even close to these seas on any of my cruises.

Representatives for the cruise line said that rough weather is typical this time of year, and the passengers in the four damaged cabins will receive a credit for a future cruise.

Broken windows 2nd time,on the same cruise line?:confused: is this typical too?Is any others cruise line had same problem ever?:confused:

What a shame, it's a good thing that nobody was seriously hurt. It sounds frightening for those in the damaged cabins (other than the ex-sailor).

This could have happened to any line sailing the same course, but it is a shame that this will be the 2nd time for NCL. :(

Goldenbonny,

Please remember that is a news report you are reading.

I spoke to the woman who had a room that was breeched, she was upset that everything was ruined, but she was not frantic (nor was she wet). I also saw an old man (yes, he was old and frail) whose luggage was being taken away and his concern was that they would forward the luggage to his new room for the night. Most of us just looked on at the repairs being made, and then went in and got dressed for dinner. The final variety show was pretty well attended, no life jackets visible. I didn't hear any screams, although I was at the crew variety show at the actual time of the first wave hitting. I was down on deck 5 less than 15 minutes later, and observed NO frantic behavior at all. And we did get two additional waves while I was down there, and heard no screaming, although I did see the injured crewmember. I did hear that someone was walking about in a life jacket, but I didn't see them.

Was it rough? Yes, very, but it is the North Atlantic in winter, and as someone else said, they sailed several times at this time of year in totally calm waters.

Would I sail on NCL again? Yes. Would I sail on the Spirit or the Dawn, Yes. Would I sail in January again? Probably not. But, in 2003 we sailed out of NYC in Sept in a hurricane. Had one rough day, and the rest was absolutely gorgeous. This was worse than actually sailing in a hurricane. And from what I understand, it was pretty bad on land during the same period of time, with winds up to 60 mph, and trees coming down etc.

And believe it or not, I know of two families on this Spirit cruise who were on the Dawn cruise that got hit. I'm definitely tracking their next cruise, and staying away from it. (joking)

Just book your next cruise, and enjoy thinking about the great time you'll have.

Larry

i was in cabin 4519 inside towards front of ship. my father was visiting us when that wave hit. he ended up losing his balance and ended up on all fours on top of bed. i laughed it off until some alarm went off by a water door near our cabin. captain made announcement about damage and change of course to north east. we also hit rough seas just out of tortola.these waves were differnt than yesterdays. the waves yesterday were causing the ship to list (side to side). captain said he changed course to avoid storm i suspect he changed it to avoid any more damage. (so the waves would hit the back ship). dont think the ship will leave today on time. witnessed flooding on stairwell between decks 4and 5. electrical burning odor in that area aslo. also rumors heard other damage throughout ship from broken bar bottles to dishes going over in raffles etc.

What a shame, it's a good thing that nobody was seriously hurt. It sounds frightening for those in the damaged cabins (other than the ex-sailor).

This could have happened to any line sailing the same course, but it is a shame that this will be the 2nd time for NCL. :(

Amen, Matt. Nicely put! ;)

The problem is the route it is too unpredictable to sail from NY in the winter. It's only a matter of time before one these cruise ships capsizes.

(IMHO)

I dont know the diferences between an ocean liner and a cruise ship but I do recall somebody on these boards saying the cruise ships were not build for these rough sailings

The "burning odor" was the welding equipment being used to secure the window(s) that were breeched. And yes, water that came in the hallway will go down stairs, and did.

The ship may not leave on time today, but as my wife said, we didn't leave on time on Jan 8th either.

Just looked at Channel 7 news, and they said people were walking around in a daze, I didn't see any.

Someone I knew from a cruise critic board said they were interviewed separately by the news, and both said it was no big thing, they said the news reporters moved on disappointed. I guess they wanted what they wanted quickly, not to drag it out. Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=5581071&posted=1#post5581071

Just checked, and at 5:21 pm the ship is still in dock. As it was 11 days ago.

Larry

When did anyone last hear of a ship capsizing? Isn't that a little extreme?

The problem is the route it is too unpredictable to sail from NY in the winter. It's only a matter of time before one these cruise ships capsizes.

(IMHO)

I dont know the diferences between an ocean liner and a cruise ship but I do recall somebody on these boards saying the cruise ships were not build for these rough sailings

I think someone may have watched the Poisiden Adventure 1 too many times!.....While i am no expert, i really don't see it happening. :p

What happened to the Spirit is hardly typical of normal winter crusing in the Atlantic. The same storm wreaked havoc throughout the northeast, causing extended power failures to hundreds of thousands of people as well as extensive damage to property. Hurricane force winds on land and at sea in January is hardly a normal winter occurance. The passengers on the Spirit were a lot safer than hundreds of people under all those falling trees.

Not to change the subject, but how do cruiselines prepare for a few cabins getting knocked out of commission when the ship's fully booked? Do they have a few empties on hand to put the dispossessed into, or do they make you bunk in the observatory lounge?

Just kidding about the latter, but I'm curious what the contingency plan would be for something like this.

Where did you get hit with the wave? Was it in the cold NY waters or Tortola? On channel 7 they said Tortola, but I read here that while Tortola had rough waters, it was on the way home where you got hit.

Please clarify if you were on this sailing.

What happened to the Spirit is hardly typical of normal winter crusing in the Atlantic. The same storm wreaked havoc throughout the northeast, causing extended power failures to hundreds of thousands of people as well as extensive damage to property. Hurricane force winds on land and at sea in January is hardly a normal winter occurance. The passengers on the Spirit were a lot safer than hundreds of people under all those falling trees.

Thank you for putting this in perspective...the weather has been wicked for the last week or so; one cannot expect to be immune from these types of weather conditions on the high seas.

Archived