HAL- Cuba & Eastern Caribbean

Rickster50

We are travelling to the Eastern Caribbean later this year and were wondering whether anybody here has done the Holland America Tour "Best of Havana". 

The ratings given look impressive so I was wondering whether the local tours compare. I hear Blexie tours are right up there.

Cheers

Rick

We were on the November 19th Veendam cruise to Cuba and took the "Best of Havana" tour.  We enjoyed the tour and thought it was a good value.  It is advertised as an eight hour tour but became a ten hour tour because the Cubans only allowed five buses at a time to load at the cruise terminal.  So we waited nearly two hours in the theater to be called.  Everything on the tour can probably be seen in 4-5 hours using one of the classical car tours or a private tour company. 

• Thanks 1

We took the Best of Havana excursion last March and found it to be a very comprehensive tour.  We had a very good guide who was open to answering all question, and would also do so privately if requested.  It was a good overview and in the evening we walked back to the old city, which is not far from the ship.

I think a private tour would be a good option as well.  Take dollar bills for tips....guides readily accepted them, even though we were told to use the CUC.   Getting small change was difficult.  I asked for small bills at the currency change window and was given a handful of large bills by the frosty exchange woman.  

Enjoy Havana, it is a fantastic city!

Karen