Port Canaveral ?

What time do you need to leave from the airport with a rental car to make it to the Sovereign Pier?

Just trying to figure out how early our flight would need to be...or if we would be better off doing our 3 day cruise after Disney...

thanks!!

We would be coming from Midway/Chicago...and whenever we Cruise we usually fly in the day before but we would rather save that day for Disney and fly early....

So then what time would we want to arrive at the Orlando airport, pick up our luggage and then get our rental car without being too rushed?

Flying into Orlando....

thanks

You are a straight shot up 528 to the pier from the Orlando airport....I'd give yourself a good 2 hours to land, get your luggage, rental car and then drive to the pier. Driving time is only about 45 min to an hour depending on traffic. (I live in the area and have done the drive numerous times from the airport towards the pier ).

Amy: Assume based on the specs you provided, you would be using SWA out of Midway, as we have many times. Believe SW has several NS flights each day to MCO. Personal opinion, would book an early flight (as if something happens w/ booked flight, would be several options which would allow you to make the cruise).

IMHO might consider other transportation options. With rental car, either need to turn car in to rental agency at port (more time required) or will be paying for the rental car and parking at port while on the cruise, which will mitigate your savings. Will also save you time in MCO airport. You could still get rental car at the port after your cruise for use during the rest of your vacation (no extra fees to drop off a rental at a different location/city in Florida). While we haven't done this in Orlando (haven't cruised out of this port yet, but have been out there several times while in Orlando), we have done this several times in other Florida cities.

Bruce

Thats the problem

We are not sure if we want to Cruise for 3 days before or after Disney! I wish that they did it on a Thursday instead of a Friday! Either way I do it the kids will miss 6 days of school instead of 5....

We want a car in Disney.....

Not sure if a Limo would be a good idea...

Thanks...

Amy: Having done Disney several times w/ our kids, you may be better off doing Disney first. They (and you) should be tired and ready to relax a little this way instead of looking forward to the Disney parks (read: Impatient to get there). Just a thought. ;)

Transportation options are not limited to limos. Van services can be very cost effective.

BTW, if you are planning on staying on Disney property, a rental car may not be required. Disney transportation services are very efficient and included in the cost (bus, monorail, boat)! While the hotel may be slightly more, removing the rental car can help offset this expense. As for the convenience, simply can not be beat Disney's transportation.

Bruce

I agree about doing Disney first....

The downside is the Friday...Monday Either we leave on a Friday and start the Cruise or come home on a Monday

A rental car is a must for us...as we like to eat at the hotels...we just find it easier and I usually get a great rate...

We have been 6 times in the last 10 years...

Thanks for your help....

now to do just decide..

Thats the problem

We are not sure if we want to Cruise for 3 days before or after Disney! I wish that they did it on a Thursday instead of a Friday! Either way I do it the kids will miss 6 days of school instead of 5....

We want a car in Disney.....

Not sure if a Limo would be a good idea...

Thanks...

Last time we did Disney and a 7 day cruise. Disney first. You will need the time after to relax and get over your "mouse-if-ication" believe me. We did not have a rental car in Disney and found, because we were staying on site, that we didn't need it. Do what YOU need to do tho, for you.

I always feel like if you travel on the same day that you are boarding that you really miss part of your cruise. If you are already there you can get on early and relax, check out the ship and get settled, rather than leaving home, flying there, rushing to the port and getting there just before the ship leaves port. It's bad enough you have to be off so early on the morning you return. I guess I like to have 1 day ahead of my cruise and then I also like to have 1-2 days after I get off so the let down is easier. But if you are trying to do Disney you really don't want to split it up like that. We do but we live driving distance from Orlando and Port Canaveral. We drive to Orlando on Sun, go into 1 park, spend the night, drive out to Port on Monday, sail 4 nights, then upon return spend 2 more nights at Disney and return home on Sunday. That is 7 nights and only miss 5 days school. :)

Are there any long weekends in the fall that you can work around so they will only miss 5 days of school? How about Veterans Day? Our kids have off Friday Nov 10 for that..then you could fly down Friday, go on the 3 night cruise, get off Monday and spend the rest of the week at Disney. I prefer the 4 night cruise since you get a day at sea to enjoy the Ship, plus with the 3 night i feel like we get on and then we're getting right off. But if you can work around a holiday then you can have them only miss 5 days. We have high school and it's miss ZERO days!! UGH! No more taking out of school for a vacation :( If they miss more than 2 or 3 days they can't get their license, it's terrible as we always liek to travel during the off season. Now we will have to go during mahjor travel times.

Archived