Third Party Tour Operator?

arsenalboy

I am on the Silhouette in the Baltics in May.

I am looking at what Celebrity has to offer on tours.

In al the ports Celebrity is promoting some of its tours as "operated by a third party tour operator". Now whilst all tours provided by Celebrity are obviously carried out by local tour operators, why is it being drawn to ones attention for some but not for others?

Furthermore, in the unlikely event that one of these has a delayed return, would the ship wait as we are always told it will not wait for delayed third party tours?

I know on our last cruise, Celebrity mentioned that some of the tours were operated by a third party tour operator that met sustainability standards.  Others were operated by third party's that apparently did not met those standards.

Additionally, Celebrity does not actually promise to hold the ship for any tours.  I know they will try to do so, but they state the following in the tour brochure:

"What happens if a tour is delayed?
If for any reason a Shore Excursion offered by Celebrity Cruises is delayed, the ship will be notified and await the tour’s return.
Please Note: We are not responsible for any delays or cancellations regarding tours that are not booked through Celebrity Cruises. In the event a tour that is not booked through Celebrity Cruises is delayed, it will be the guest’s sole responsibility for making any necessary arrangements to return to port or their ship.

Is it possible to miss the ship?
Any number of unforeseen circumstances may contribute to a tour’s delay and cause a guest to miss the ship. However, Celebrity Cruises guarantees return to ship for all guests on Shore Excursions booked through Celebrity Cruises, at no expense to the guest."

I have done both type of shore excursions.  Interestingly, the best tours were on a Baltic Cruise last year.  We used one of the most recommended tour operators in most of the ports, as did many other Celebrity passengers.  All in all, we saved nearly $1000 for the two of us on all the excursions.  But best of all, we had fabulous tours!  They were mostly in small buses in order to get closer to where we were going.  Smaller groups are also easier to maneuver in crowded churches and museums.

As far as missing the ship - it wasn't an issue.  You have to know when an excursion is late and misses the ship, everyone on Cruise Critic (and other websites) will know about it.  The operator doesn't want that reputation and takes this responosibility very seriously.  We were always promptly returned.  

So my advice is to do your homework and see what operators offer a tour that interests you.  Read as many reviews as possible.  And pay attention to the correspondence - is your inquiry answered promptly and courteously, even after the 100th question?  If you use a reputable operator, you will have a great experience.   

• Like 1

We used SPB tours in St Peters burg and Stockholm, if you read their website it states that they will get you to the next port if you miss the ship on one of their tours. I would assume that all reputable tour company's make this same guaranty.