Superstar Gemini

mummsie

:)Al, We are sailing on Gemini(3rd time) from Singapore and return on 1st June-perhaps that is the return after our cruise.

You will really enjoy the trip---no,no, no rough weather,just enjoy.

xx Margaret/helga

Hi All

We have booked our first cruise on the Gemini in June 2008 going from Singapore to Hong Kong. We have travelled to Asia quite a bit but this is our first cruise. I have been reading this forum for the past couple of weeks and at times is better than a good book. Most questions I had have been answered in past posts however I have just a couple more if someone can help.

Someone talked about a Hue tour in Danang, Vietnam can I have more information about this tour.

We are not big drinkers I have read the prices of Beer and Cocktails can anyone give me the prices of soft drinks onboard.

And lastly I get seasick and my son who is in the Navy tells me to get a cabin deep and to the rear, is this good advise or is he setting me up?

Thanks to all the people on this forum who have contributed as the information provided is very helpful.

Cheers,

Al

Well it appears to me that Big Al is doing the SIN - HXG leg, helga38 is doing the full round trip SING - HXG - SIN, and I (kuldalai) am doing the second HXG - SIN leg . Perhaps we can meet up in the GEMINI Bar one evening before dinner.

Realized after posting Helga that you and Big Al and you and I can meet separately as whilst you are doing a full round trip, Big Al is doing Singapore - Hong Kong, ad I am doing Hong Kong - Singapore . So all three of us cannot get together at once . (if that makes sense.) I shall touch base again prior to departure to set up a meeting in Gemini Bar on the Hong Kong - Singapore leg . It would be up to Big Al and you to set up a similar meeting with on the Singapore - Hong Kong leg .

My wife and I sailed on this great little ship some ten years ago out of Singapore. As it is sailing in Australian waters this year and next we are booked on the Brisbane to Cairns leg leaving Brisbane 20/1/08.

Anyone else on this trip who would like to catch up for a drink or two???

John:)

Hi

I've just been reading your thread...I'm booked to cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore in June next year. I'm a solo cruiser so would be keen to meet any of you doing this cruise. I'm really looking forward to it.

Cheers

Jennifer:)

:D We shall do that,thanks Kuladai.

helga

Realized after posting Helga that you and Big Al and you and I can meet separately as whilst you are doing a full round trip, Big Al is doing Singapore - Hong Kong, ad I am doing Hong Kong - Singapore . So all three of us cannot get together at once . (if that makes sense.) I shall touch base again prior to departure to set up a meeting in Gemini Bar on the Hong Kong - Singapore leg . It would be up to Big Al and you to set up a similar meeting with on the Singapore - Hong Kong leg .

Hi everyone from my favourite place!! Boarded yesterday in Bali, I believe about 120 ended their cruise and 190 joined this sector to Fremantle. Ship not entirely full but close.

Am told they had a very rough night approaching Bali but so far it has been smooth, just a few creeks and groans to remind you you are on a ship!

Hoping the other four Cruise Critic members will meet this afternoon. There will be an arts and crafts lesson going on in the Gemini Bar then so hope it's not toooo crowded!!!

Enjoy your cruise Mike - was talking to one of the girls who has just transferred from the Libra.

Will try to log in again in a few days

Regards

Vera

Hi Vera, thanks for taking the time and trouble to let us all know how the cruise is. I hope your leg of this cruise will be smooth. Will wait for your full report upon your return home.

I also had a wonderful cruise aboard Libra to Hong Kong.

Mike

There is only one sailing of this itinerary in June departing Singapore on Sun 1/06 and Hong Kong on Wed 11/06 arriving back in Singapore on Sun 22/06 - so anyone saying they are doing the trip in June has to be on either one of the two legs or the combined legs making up the round trip . Anyone else who wants Word copy of Shore Excursions that were offered for this special cruise in 2007 feel free to e-mail me direct at kuldalai@pipeline.com.au (several folk have done so already .) Still available also self explore and how to get about Melbourne CBD by public transport right from Station Pier (Port Melbourne) notes from same e-mail address .

Hi Can anyone tell me I have heard the gemini will not be sailing after dec 2008, will another ship do its itinerary, also we did our first cruise in October aboard gemini straits of Mallacca, and enjoyed it so much have decided to do singapore to hong kong as late as possible next year probably september, is this agood time to go, regarding weather etc.

also are any other star cruise ships doing this itinerary and in any ones opinion are they as good as gemini

Hazel

Hazel,

Yes STAR have sold SS GEMINI and are leasing it back from the new owner till the end of 2008 . Star have basically decided to expand the size of the Asian fleet in future years and that vessels less than 40,000 tonnes are not part of their future operations. No doubt this is influenced by rising fuel costs and the fact that bigger ships are more economical to operate, and thus more profitable.

The GEMINI itineraries for the rest of 2007 and for the full year 2008 are all posted on the Star website .

Given Star have expanded the longer 21 day itineraries in Asia from 2 in 2006, to 3 this year and 6 in 2008; plus ventured successfully into Aus this year one can expect that initially SS LIBRA will take over SS GEMINI's runs from early 2009 .

With SS GEMINI in 2008 you have the choice of 6 round trip departure dates on the 21 night itinerary from SIN, and for the first time also 3 x 21 day round trip departure dates ex HXG .

During March 2008 SS AQUARIUS will do a placement cruise HKG - SIN, returning SIN - HXG in October.

Conversely SS VIRGO will do a placement cruise SIN - HXG in March, and returning HXG - SIN in October .

VIRGO is the younger boat of the two, and these placement cruises are more direct and of 4 - 5 days duration , compared to SS GEMINI which visits more ports and takes 10 days to do the same trips.

Full details of these placement cruises are at this link :

http://www.cruising.com.au/templates/search.jsp?partner=&region=296&cruiseline=30&cruiseship=&cruisedate=&duration=&ports=

Seems weird STAR do not pay their crews in Singapore, Malaysian or HK currency ?

STAR have currency problems re US $ and conversion rate on more than one front, their third Quarter financial results were affected very adversely by the currency exchange rates.

Have just returned yesterday from our tremendous Caribbean adventure - had a wonderful time.

E onboard - thanks for being concerned about our welfare. We had no problems with regard stormy weather. The first two sea-days out of New York they put on extra speed to "outrun" an approaching storm (not sure if that was the one you read about). Personally I enjoy being able to feel being on a ship (i.e. if it rolls a bit ...)

After a month away there is a fair amount of unpacking and laundry etc. to be done - and back to making beds, cooking, dishes etc. :( but also the enjoyable task of sorting through 1200 odd photos :) (plus 6-8 hours of video)

Welcome back boeckli. Wonderful to hear you had a good time and weather was not an issue for you. Hope you will share a few photos with us when you sort them out.

Mike

Thanks, Mike.

Will let you know when I've uploaded the photos.

Having cruised on SSVirgo, it was amazing to see the similarities on the Norwegian Dawn, felt very much 'at home' (after all, she was originally ordered by Starcruises ...)

Hi Boeckli

Welcome home! I have to face laundry, cooking etc etc in three days' time! On the downhill run now after Broome. This cruise has been lovely, as usual many from WA but with a good springkling from o/s.

Will write more on our return -

Regards

Vera