Superstar Gemini

mummsie

There weren't many kids on the Gemini when we went, but those that were there were in the pool, under parental supervision. Where did you read that they weren't allowed?

Bit rough that you've been charged full price for under 12's. Although school holidays, they've got a captive audience. :mad:

We cruised with P & O with 2 x under 12's back in 1998 in holiday time, and we were only charged half price as they were the 3rd and 4th pax in our cabin.

Have you recently sailed on the Braemar? We saw her twice on our recent Caribbean cruise

Anyone mind if I step in and introduce myself? I'm Tom, I live in the uK, and the most recent cruise that my wife were on was on Braemar, in September. Just a mini/repo-cruise - four nights from Newcastle to Southampton, calling at Honfleur and Guernsey (replaced by Cherbourg), plus a day at sea. We enjoyed it very much.

Obviously I know that Superstar Gemini is a sister ship to Braemar, and we keep our eyes on her whereabouts - one day perhaps we'll get to cruise on her. But here are some pictures of Braemar frm last September:

http://www.*****/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=2932

Braemar is going to be stretched next year - approximately 30 metres of new hull will be inserted not far aft of the bridge, which will increase her capacity by 250. It'll be interesting to see if Star decide to do something similar to Superstar Gemini.

Braemar is going to be stretched next year - approximately 30 metres of new hull will be inserted not far aft of the bridge, which will increase her capacity by 250. It'll be interesting to see if Star decide to do something similar to Superstar Gemini.

Star have sold the Gemini and she'll be leaving the fleet at the end of 2008 - so no stretch (at least not by Starcruises).

The pool policy published in the on-board Newsletter "Star Navigator" stipulates that pool use on SS GEMINI by children UNDER 12 is subject to the child being accompanied by an adult . Gemini only has one pool . So you can go on the cruise and your kids can use the pool subject to the one condition if under 12 years .

SS VIRGO has a separate childrens pool "Netunes Wet'n'Wild" and a different policy applies on that vessel to encourage children to use the aforementioned facility, leaving the main Parthenon pool for use by adults .

Trust this clears things up for you .

http://www.creativecruising.com.au/cruises/cruise_list.asp?CruiseDestination=22&CruiseLine=3&CruiseShip=179&Departing=&Submit2=Search&pge=2&sel=

This thread on page 2 click on Straits of Malacca Package and you get the sailing dates right up to the end of 2008 . Adjust them if they are not Sundays to the Sunday dates as they will be ex Sydney or Perth . As you are IIRC in UK you can then work it out from there . As you would be coming a long way from England suggest you consider one of Geminis longer itineraries in 2008 ; the options being :

1. 21 nights Singapore - Thailand - Vietnam - Hong Kong - Vietnam - Malaysia - Singapore round trip departing Singapore 11/05, 01/06, 06/07, 27/07, 24/08, 14/09/08.

2. 21 nights Hong Kong - Vietnam - Malaysia - Singapore - Thailand - Vietnam - Hong Kong departing Hong Kong 21/05, 16/07, 03/09/08.

3. 10 nights Singapore - Thailand - Vietnam - Hong Kong departing Singapore 11/05, 01/06, 06/07, 27/07, 24/08, 14/09/08.

4. 11 nights Hong Kong - Vietnam - Malaysia - Singapore departing Hong Kong 21/05, 11/06, 16/07, 06/08, 03/09, 24/09/08.

If the 10 or 11 night itineraries interest you you start in one city and finish up in another . This is not a problem coming from Australia or UK. Just ask your travel agent to book you a return airfare to Hong Kong with what is called an "open jaw" between Singapore/Hong Kong (the leg you cruise) and you get cheaper airfare than buying a single to Singapore, and a single from Hong Kong or vv .

Holler out if can be of further assistance .

As at Sunday 30/12/07 SS GEMINI is 4 days into a 7 day round trip from Fremantle to Exmouth and Broome. Heard on ABC Radio this morning reports of Typhoon strength winds developing off Broome . Is this adverse weather forecast affecting the planned itinerary ? does anyone know ?

If the 10 or 11 night itineraries interest you you start in one city and finish up in another . This is not a problem coming from Australia or UK. Just ask your travel agent to book you a return airfare to Hong Kong with what is called an "open jaw" between Singapore/Hong Kong (the leg you cruise) and you get cheaper airfare than buying a single to Singapore, and a single from Hong Kong or vv .

Holler out if can be of further assistance .

HI...i've booked a package with my travel agent for 11 June ex HKG and in hindsight it seems rather expensive (single supplement)...would a travel agent use this 'open jaw' method when calculating a package?

Thankx for yr help.

Regards

Jennifer

A good TA will be fully conversant with "open jaw" return air tickets.

In calculating your package total price it would be made up of several elements which are likely to be :

* The air travel legs

* Transfers between Airports and hotels in Hong Kong & Singapore.

* Accommodation costs in both Singapore & Hong Kong

* The actual cruise cost .

If you are travelling as a single traveller then there will be supplements on top of the basic charge for the cruise and accommodation . These supplements will basically be 50 % to 100% on top of the pp twin share rate . SSV or Mike should be able to tell you what the Star charge for single occupancy is but IIRC it is between 160 and 200 % of the twin share pp rate .

Using the Qantas website and constructing an open jaw Economy return fare in June 2008 - Sydney SYD to Hong Kong HXG (with trip break HXG - SING - the "open jaw" leg your are on the boat ) then Singapore SIN to Sydney SYD - I come up with a return fare of around $ 1200 Au which is much cheaper than single airfares to HXG and from SIN . Suggest you quiz your TA as to what are the separate component costs of your trip. Your air fare should be around what I have indicated . You can check it out yourself at http://www.qantas.com . Then select multiple city International return trip and away you go put in your travel dates etc . Single travellers unfortunately pay more, (for the cruise and accommodation) but believe me you will have a sensational cruise on SS GEMINI . We are actually sailing ex HXG on June 11 too . Seems a popular date .

Also as a comparison this Company are offering a total package that includes return air with QF ex Sydney, accommodation in HXG and SIN and the cruise departing HXG on 11/06/08 for around $ 4300 Au for a CB cabin (Oceanview with window) pp twin share . (Refer the link for all the cabin type costings) Based on twin share pp rate the cruise rate separately for a CB cabin is like $ 2900 Au pp.

http://www.creativecruising.com.au/cruises/cruise.asp?id=3903

Thankx for your info.

I'm paying $4489 all up for what u mentioned. this is with single supplement for a DA inside cabin - unfortunately I can't afford anything better.

The single supplement sucks but I'm looking forward to the trip. Sounds like a great little ship.

Cheers

Jennifer

$ 4500 sounds pretty good to me as the single supplements on your cruise and accommodation in HXG and SIN have added around $ 1000 (on top of twin share pp costs) which sounds quite reasonable to me . Don't worry an inside cabin DA for one will give you stacks of room, and you really only sleep in the cabin, as you are off the boat on trips or out in the public spaces on board most of the time .

Compared to the price of holidays in Aus for what will be a 14 day round trip ex Sydney you are getting it for still for $ 320 a day. On a Queensland winter sojourn this year I paid $ 220 per night for bed only pretty ordinary apartment, and got ripped off at every turn for meals. On SS Gemini you get your travel from Hxg to Sin, your accommodation, and all your meals included . So just go and soak up the Gemini magic whilst it is still available to us in 2008 . When you get home you will reckon it was worth every cent .

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your great information I have just finished reading the whole thread and you have answered all my questions that I orginally had.

We are looking forward to our first cruise out of Singapore on the 29 June 08. I am going to head down to Fremantle to check out the Gemini on Wednesday. It's all getting very exciting now as we are both really looking forward to our first cruise. Keep up the information I am loving it :D

Cosamlin , welcome aboard CC . The 29/06 departure by GEMINI is an action packed itinerary and whilst there are no full days at sea to unwind, it is still a great trip and plenty of different things to see and do at all the ports of call. You can check out all your Shore excursion options in advance at this link : http://www.starcruises.com/Fleet/Gemini/tours.html

* SS GEMINI is due in Fremantle Wed 02/01/08 arr 1030 from Broome dep 1800 to Broome. Berth - F at Passenger Terminal .

Day Port Arrive Depart Sun Singapore

6.00pm Mon Kuala Lumpur (Port Klang), Malaysia 9.00am 7.00pm Tue Penang, Malaysia 9.00am 6.00pm Wed Krabi, Thailand 7.00am 4.00pm Wed Phuket, Thailand 6.00pm

Thu Phuket, Thailand

6.00pm Fri Langkawi, Malaysia 9.00am 7.00pm Sat Kuala Lumpur (Port Klang), Malaysia 1.00pm 3.00pm Sun Singapore 9.00am

the information you have put in was fantastic. We arrived at Fremantle Passenger terminal just before 11.30 so missed her arriving but we still got to take a look. I will be able to get back down there next week to watch her leave for Sydney so hopefully will get to see a little more of her than we did today.

It was great to see so many passengers at the terminal ready to board and crew on board yelling back and forth, laughing and waving at each other. It really looks like we are going to have a great time.

Times for next Wednesday for those who want to take a last look at GEMINI in Fremantle whilst sailing for Star Cruises are as follows.

Wednesday 09/01/08 F Berth Passenger Terminal arr 1300 from Broome

dep 2100 for Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney .

Hi Helga

I have just returned from my first cruise ever, on the Virgo and it was fantastic. So much so that I've booked to go again next December! I had wondered about transferring by tender too and thought it may be by rope ladder like you!!! (The experienced cruisers will be smiling here) Virgo is larger than Gemini but it will be a similar system. They use the lifeboats (hold 100+ people each I think) as well a a boat or two that comes from shore and the transfer is all very dignified with maybe a step up and a few down into the boat. Not a rope ladder in sight! There are crew members standing by to give you a hand if needed. Elderly and frail folks would handle it all very comfortably. I am not sure how many tender ports there are between Singapore and HK, but Penang and Phuket both use tender transfers. Have a wonderful trip.

Liz

Kudalai, On the cruise s/pore -h/k, does Gemini always dock at a wharf--? Any idea of where you go ashore by tender-and how do you get to them-rope ladders ??!

Just curious.

helga

On the SS GEMINI cruise from Singapore to Hong Kong the ports of call are

Ko Samui (Thailand), Laem Chebang (Bangkok) (Thailand, Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam) and Da Nang (Vietnam) .

Singapore departure point is Singapore Cruise Centre, and arrival in Hong Kong is at Ocean Terminal, Kowloon side .

Ko Samui is the only tender port . There are no rope ladders. Passengers are dis-embarked into motor launches which pull up along side GEMINI. Pax go down in lifts to level 2 and a steel door in the side of the vessel is opened up and passengers simply step out onto the launch alongside. Launch goes to a pier in Ko Samui . Laem Chebang uses a passenger berth, Ho Chi Minh City uses a freight berth right at the foot of the city, Da Nang uses a container berth on outskirts of the city .

Ko Samui is fantastic (went elephant riding), Laem Chebang and Pattaya City are seedy dumps (either stay on board or do the Bangkok highlights tour), Ho Chi Minh was sensational, Da Nang is spread out ( we did Hue highlights which was the best tour of our trip, don't miss it .)

Hong Kong Bound (10-Night) Day Destination Arrival Departure Sun Singapore - 1800 Mon At Sea - - Tue Ko Samui†, Thailand 0900 (0800) 1800 (1700) Wed Bangkok (Laem Chabang), Thailand 1000 (0900) 2300 (2200) Thu At Sea - - Fri Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam 1600 (1500) - Sat Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam - 1500(1400) Sun At Sea - - Mon Danang, Vietnam 1000(0900) 2100 (2000) Tue At Sea - - Wed Hong Kong, China 0730 - SAILING DATES Departing on Sunday May 11 , 2008 Jun 1 , 2008 Jul 6 & 27 , 2008 Aug 24 , 2008 Sep 14 , 2008

Above details - copied from the Starcruises website - indicate that the only tender port will be Ko Samui (designated by the little "†" behind it). On our recent Gemini stop there the boats used came from shore (click on link for photo) http://picasaweb.google.com/boeckli/SuperStarGeminiAugust2007/photo#5101810306724971922

Certainly no rope ladders anywhere :) Unfortunately I have no photos from the Gemini setup but here is a link to a photo of the gangway we had on the Norwegian Dawn (of course a much larger ship but the principle is similar). http://picasaweb.google.com/boeckli/NorwegianDawnOctNov2007/photo#5151095858933865906

You walk down the steps or simply out onto a platform that folds out and then onto the tender boat. When we tendered with the Norwegian Dawn in St Thomas they put a wide steel plank across which allowed access for a wheelchair even (with a fully grown man).

:) Thank you ,folks,what a helpful site we have. with such friendly and helpful people.

sort of raking up in the age group--oh,OK. 69 and 74 to be truthful !!!, I was a bit worried about climbing up and down steps etc. You have all set my mind at rest with your helpful remarks and I'm very greatful.

Was going through all the great tours--and rats--!! Most of them are out- not for the old and infirm !!!! -and I did want to climb on an elephant and have a ride !!

We have done much Asian travelling and have been to many of the places that are on the cruise,but Vietnam is new--so shall have a good think.

regards Margaret.

(helga)

The elephant riding in Ko Samui may well be OK for you . I am no spring chicken and it was a piece of cake . The main thing to avoid in selecting tours is to avoid ones that involve long walks or hiking as the humidity gets to you after a while . With the elephant riding you climb a sort of set of stairs into an upstairs room that opens out at elephant height onto a same level boarding platform . The elephant has a fixed two seat armchair thingy strapped to his back and you step into the chairs and fasten seats belts IIRC. The mahout sits in front on the elephants head and steers the elephant with verbal commands and a few deft nudges from his heels applied to the elephants skull !!!

Tempts one to take a good old Aussie sicky ! Still available for booking SS GEMINI short sector cruises : Departing Sydney 18/01 for Cairns either return 12 nights trip, or one way 6 nights ; or departing Cairns 24/01 one way 6 nights to Sydney .

Times for next Wednesday for those who want to take a last look at GEMINI in Fremantle whilst sailing for Star Cruises are as follows.

Wednesday 09/01/08 F Berth Passenger Terminal arr 1300 from Broome

dep 2100 for Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney .

Have just seen the SS Gemini in port for the day at Albany. She is still looking great. Both SS Gemini and Funchal were berthed at the Albany town jetty on Friday, 11 January. As a 2 x previous passenger on Gemini who sometimes looks at the Funchal summer season adverts and daydreams - I now don't think there is much comparison!

Not to say that the Funchal cruises aren't terrific. My impression is based solely on looking at the two ships parked bow to stern in Albany. I would prefer to be on Gemini. The Funchal is much, much smaller and older.

Hope all those aboard are having a magical time!

In answer to an earlier thread from, I think, Kuldalai - Gemini did alter her sailing itinerary due to the Cyclone in the North West. She made an unscheduled stop in Albany for New Years Eve and had a front row seat for The City of Albany's NYE Fire works show held on the waterfront!

Apparently, the master sounded the horn vigorously at midnight much to the crowds enjoyment in the streets!

<SPAN class=Apple-style-span style="WORD-SPACING: 0px; FONT: 12px Verdana; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; WHITE-SPACE: normal; LETTER-SPACING: normal; BORDER-COLLAPSE: separate; orphans: 2; widows: 2; webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; webkit-text-stroke-width: 0">