Is India Visa Required When Not Getting off of Ship

Rebeccadoll

We are about to leave on the Sapphire Princess on March 10th.  It stops in Cochin, India.  Like you, I contacted the India Embassy here in the United States and was told that as long as I didn't get off the ship, I would not need a Visa.  However, they did say to still check with my cruiseline.  I asked if this was anywhere in writing so I could take that with me, but they replied no.  All I have is their email.  Princess says they will deny boarding if you don't have a e-visa or regular visa.  I wonder if anyone recently has sailed on Princess and was able to board the ship without proof of a Inda visa.  Also, in the alternative, what about a transit Visa, which is less expensive?

Did this cruise on the Sapphire in October from Southampton to Singapore.   You must have a visa which is checked and kept by Princess before you board.  There is a special evisa you can do online.  Takes 2 or 3 days and cost about A$80. We have dual Australian/UK citizenship and the price varied by country so don't know the cost for US citizens. Be sure to use the official indian government site. 

Https://Indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/index.html

Anne