New about Marriott Marina - Port Everglades

signman

Keep in mind that the Marina Marriott will no longer BE a Marriott after February 24.

Here's the article I posted last week... http://southflorida.bizjournals.com/southflorida/stories/2006/01/09/daily10.html

And this is on the hotel's website...

"Effective Saturday February 25, 2006 the Fort Lauderdale Marina Marriott will exit the Marriott system and begin operations as an independent hotel. Note: Marriott Rewards redemption reservations are no longer being accepted for February 24, 2006 and beyond."

We have reservations there in March using Marriott reward points. We called a week ago and they said everything was cool. Yesterday "Mr. Marriott's office" called and left a message to call them so they could find us alternative lodging. I called them this morning and am awaiting a return call as the person was busy. We tried to research a little last night about the Marriott properties in the area because our friends are staying at the Embassy Suites and we want to stay fairly close to them. The Embassy Suites is sold out for the night we are staying or we'd try to get in there. I'll let you know what happens.

Christine

We were booked into the Marriott Marina on the backside of our upcoming Volendam cruise and have moved our reservation to another Marriott property. We'd picked the Marriott chain because they have a King Tut exhibit package and we wanted to take advantage of the opportunity since the exhibit is not coming anywhere close to Texas. After exchanging several emails and phone calls with Marriott and the Marina management it became clear that the new Marina operators would not honor the King Tut portion of the package so Marriott moved us to another hotel. My feeling was that the new Marina management/owners would honor the basic reservation but really preferred we moved....they suggested it.

Well, Marriott is trying to get us in at the Renaissance which shows no availability for that night. The Marriott rep seems to be very confident that she is going to get them to make "an exception" for us. I guess it must cost more reward points to stay there. She is still talking to the Renaissance and will get back to us on Monday. I hope it works out...I think worst case scenario is Courtyard Airport and Cruiseport, and I guess we'd just have to take it. Marriott seems to be trying hard to make this work.

Marriott did exactly the same for us and we'll be staying in the Renaissance when we get off our cruise. They worked with the Renaissance and got us the same package price as we had with the Marina. Can't complain about the service we got from Marriott. We weren't using our Marriott points for this stay but we are advanced members of the Marriott Rewards program and I think that helped.

Gosh, I have two nights reserved at the Marriott Marina in two weeks using my Marriott Reward points. Are all reservations being cancelled? I haven't heard anything concerning my reservations.

Your fine, the changeover is not until the end of Februsry. ;)

Bequia, do you happen to know if the Marriott Marina is "a mess" from the hurricane. I've heard there was extensive damage. I just wonder, since we're spending two nights there, if we'll be disappointed. We've always stayed there and loved it, but I think it will break my heart if I see it in shambles and all rundown looking. Any word on who is buying this property. I'm surprised Marriott is letting it go...it seems like it was a real money maker for them given it's location to Port Everglades.

Ft Lauderdale Marriott Marina is owned by Host Marriott, a real estate company. Host Marriott's business is investments.http://www.hostmarriott.com/

The 579-room hotel was severely damaged during Hurricane Wilma and nearly half of its rooms are not in use. Only 306 of the hotel's 579 rooms are available to be rented.

Have no fear, for all appearances sake it does not look run down or in a shambles. The sale of this property is a good thing, it's due for some serious capital investment. Earlier posts on this thread reveal who the potential buyer is.

Since many of these hotels are all in the same general area what is the condition of the Renaissance?

IMO Renaissance is the nicest of the SE 17th Street hotels... It's a great place in a spectacular location!

Bequia, do you happen to know if the Marriott Marina is "a mess" from the hurricane. I've heard there was extensive damage. I just wonder, since we're spending two nights there, if we'll be disappointed. We've always stayed there and loved it, but I think it will break my heart if I see it in shambles and all rundown looking. Any word on who is buying this property. I'm surprised Marriott is letting it go...it seems like it was a real money maker for them given it's location to Port Everglades.

It's not at all a "mess", "in shambles" OR "rundown looking" at all. It LOOKS fine. They had some windows and sliding glass doors blown out in Wilma, and those rooms are closed. They boarded up the broken windows/doors and even went so far as to paint the wood the same color as the tinted glass so at first glance it's not really noticeable. It's getting on in years and is time for the entire place to be remodeled, but the undamaged rooms are fine and the same as before.

Thanks Trent, and everyone else for this info. Based on this info, DH and I are going to try to get a room in another hotel. I should have known when I called and asked if there was hurricane damage, I was put on hold before the lady could answer my question.

Every time I call there to check on my room (which I booked on points) I get a different answer as to whether i need a Marriott certificate or not (my confirmation from Marriott explicitly says I do not. In short, the service there is clearly not what it was. What a pity as I have always liked that hotel.

Well the rooms they ARE using are fine, the damaged rooms are simply closed off and not rented until they can renovate them. The big problem down here at the moment is getting replacement windows and sliding glass doors.

It sounds like with the pending sale and leaving the Marriott system however that it may be a bit better to stay elsewhere until things are settled. If the buyer is indeed the rumored buyer I am quite confident that they will extensively remodel the entire property and it will be better than ever in the future! :)

Archived