Cruise Planner purchase - just do it now?

First time RC cruiser here.  We just booked and are on a fairly short timeframe until the cruise leaves.

I've read that the prices on some of the items can drop, but I'm guessing they can also go up?  Is there any reason I shouldn't just purchase the items now to protect from any future price increases?  Of course, I'm hoping they'll drop, but I also would be upset if they went up and never came down again.

Should I just go ahead and just purchase now and keep watching for price drops?

We saw the cheapest prices on shore excursions right after we booked. Everything else went up and down. The deluxe beverage package was cheapest a week before the cruise. I would book everything you want now and cancel later. I hope this helps!

15 minutes ago, jean-lynd said:

We saw the cheapest prices on shore excursions right after we booked. Everything else went up and down. The deluxe beverage package was cheapest a week before the cruise. I would book everything you want now and cancel later. I hope this helps!

Oh interesting, the deluxe package has gone up since we purchase but we're closing in on 2 weeks from sailing (YAY) so I'll continue to check in case it drops again and I didn't even think about checking excursions!

We purchase earlier rather than later, as we have lost out on an  excursion if we waited too long.  Also, there are usually times for the RCI WOW sales or the like where the packages or excursions go on sale.   President's Weekend could result in  a good sale weekend.    We have many times booked,  then canceled and rebooked at lower price.   RCI immediately shows your cancelation and reimbursement to the credit card.  However, the earlier you book your cruise next time, the better the prices usually - I have found that the dining packages are usually much lower the farther out from the cruise date.   On short notice, though, you don't have that advantage.  But a last minute cruise is always fun!