Taking food off for lunch at ports?

jana616

Hello, we leave in just 4 days for our first cruise, and I have another question. We had been planning to order sandwiches, etc. from room service the night before and then take them in a soft cooler (placed in a backpack) when we went into port (specifically we are going to Nassau, Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Grand Cayman), as suggested on this board. However, now I have read a few people who said they actually do enforce not taking food off the ship and it will be confiscated. Can anyone please tell me, from personal recent experience, if they have seen this happen, esp. at these ports? I certainly don't want to be the troublemaker, but we are also really cheap! Thanks in advance!

The only way to enforce not taking food off the ship would be to search everyone's belongings as they go ashore. I have never seen that done. It would take too long and most people would consider it a violation of their rights. While most people put up with security searches while boarding the ship for obvious reasons, I don't think too many people would tolerate a security search when going ashore to look for donuts.

No, custom laws do not let you take food on or off the ship. They do let you take packaged items bought like rum cakes in Grand Cayman. These have been packaged and sealed.

Our family of six just returned from a cruise and we only ate at one place in Costa Maya.

If you eat a late breakfast you really won't be hungry for lunch until you get back on the ship. We would come back around 3:30 and go to the windjammer for lunch.

You're visiting new places and cultures, why be so cheap as to not try the foods and restaurants while you're there, it's part of the whole travel/vacation experience:confused:

This will be our 1st time on a cruise and 1st time to the Bahamas....my kiddos 7 and 3 1/2 absolutely LOVE the beach in Maryland...I can never get them off of it without a fight...I think that trying to get them away from the beach in Nassau, even for lunch would take at least an hour of fighting with them...that is why we would like to take a soft cooler to the beach!!!!! Strong willed children and the beach....an experience that can be very, very scary!

Taking food off a ship is almost always a no-no. Most, if not all countries have rules and regulations about foodstuffs entering the country. If you don't believe me try sneaking a bunch of bananas back into the States and see what happens if you get caught.;)

It shouldn't be a matter of whether or not you will be searched or caught. There are valid reasons why taking food, especially agricultural products, off the ship at the various ports of call isn't allowed, and you ought to respect those reasons and observe those regulations. Since when did the prospect of being caught become the sole reason for not breaking the law?

I thought that even kids eventually outgrew the kind of reasoning that says "well others are doing it, so why can't I?".

Don't take food off the ship - not because of the consequences if you should get caught - but because it is wrong and isn't allowed.

If you are so cheap (your word not mine) that you can't spring for food or a snack onshore, go hungry for a few hours until you can return to the ship. The food will still be there. :rolleyes:

2 people here are asking the question...myself and jana616. What I'm talking about bringing...since I've since heard no fresh fruit etc. is water bottles and prepackaged snacks..e.g.Quaker granola bars, Fruit roll-ups etc. just to keep the kiddos from starving while we're at the beach, in case I can't get them to leave to go get lunch. Is this ok?

2 people here are asking the question...myself and jana616. What I'm talking about bringing...since I've since heard no fresh fruit etc. is water bottles and prepackaged snacks..e.g.Quaker granola bars, Fruit roll-ups etc. just to keep the kiddos from starving while we're at the beach, in case I can't get them to leave to go get lunch. Is this ok?

Water bottles and prepackaged foods are okay. Anything fresh is an absolute no-no.

I'm pretty sure that you aren't restricted from bringing such items as those off the ship. Just to be on the safe side, however, you might check when you are on the ship.:)

I took water bottles off th ship in Nassau, & Grand Cayman. I also took some muffins and yogurt with me too. I guess I DIDN'T read all the fine print telling me it was a NO-NO..Nobody stopped me and when I came back on board w/ my 1/2 water bottle that went thru the security screen noone said a word. I NEVER buy certain things in certain countries. Maybe these people don't want to end up w/ diareaha or worse..That is why I prefer to have a few things to snack on so I won't be froced to eat some local food that may not have been refrigerated or prepared properly. Sometimes a local beach stand is the only place around and it may not be appealing to everyone.

On one of our first cruises I made myself a great big ice cream cone (when they use to have ice cream machines all over the ship) and thought I would enjoy it while walking around St. Thomas. Nope!

Only sealed packaged good and water.

Hi Jana

We were on Disney Wonder last year and we ordered room service (wraps, cookies, and & PBJ) every night before we went to a port. We stored it in our stateroom fridge and took it all on the islands every day. Never once had an issue. It was great for kids as they wanted nothing to do with island food ! and it was free :)

Shelly

I have 5 year old, and they can be picky eaters! I wouldn't think twice about bringing snacks with - where ever I go for her. They are either hungery or not, it's hard to force a 5 year old to eat. Besides the way I look at it is - it's THEIR vacation too! Why fight and agure and ruin the day, when having some simple snacks would do the trick. I would also try and encourage them to try local foods. But I do agree with the others, as in no fresh fruit and such, eat that on the ship. Water...got to have water, kids will dehydrate so fast.

Have a safe & fun trip, and as a parent, you'll know what is the right thing to do. ;)

I took water bottles off th ship in Nassau, & Grand Cayman. I also took some muffins and yogurt with me too. I guess I DIDN'T read all the fine print telling me it was a NO-NO..Nobody stopped me and when I came back on board w/ my 1/2 water bottle that went thru the security screen noone said a word. I NEVER buy certain things in certain countries. Maybe these people don't want to end up w/ diareaha or worse..That is why I prefer to have a few things to snack on so I won't be froced to eat some local food that may not have been refrigerated or prepared properly. Sometimes a local beach stand is the only place around and it may not be appealing to everyone.

From my experience, water bottles are OK. And in Nassau and Grand Cayman (and in Mexico, for that matter), there are enough resorts and other interests around that cater to American tastes and sell snacks like granola bars, and they are not expensive. Finally, you don't have to be out of the country to get food that might not by refrigerated or prepared properly...it happens even in these here United States. ;)

Another problem solver? Book a shore excursion that includes lunch. Did this last week in St. Martin and kiddies and parents alike enjoyed the barbeque.

Finally, you don't have to be out of the country to get food that might not by refrigerated or prepared properly...it happens even in these here United States. ;)

Definitely agree with this. Was on a 12 day bus tour of East Coast colleges when I was in high school. While in New York City, a couple of my classmates just couldn't wait another hour until lunch. So they stopped at this little Hungarian Bakery. An hour later we were having to send them back to our hotel in New Jersey because they had gotten food poisoning. A couple hours later somebody else ate an undercooked hamburger and got sick so we had to send them back to the hotel as well. I myself got food poisoning on the first day of that trip in Knoxville, Tennessee at a popular Southern roadside chain restaurant.

Just because you may not be stopped and searched does not make it right to flout this rule, which is for the protection of the ecosystems of the ports. (There are usually signs telling you not to.)

When you get off the ship back in the US, there are very stern warnings about bringing any produce back (so that our ecosystem is not adversely affected by foreign pests), and the same is true for our local 'foreign pests'.

For those that can't pull themselves away from a beach to eat, most beaches I've been to in the Caribbean have food right there that you can order and have brought to your lounge chair. Never had a problem with illness associated with this.

Bottle of water? OK. Fruit rollups, granola bars, little boxes of cereal? Check, check and check. A ham sandwich and an apple? Not so good.

Part of responsible travel is to respect the laws and customs of the various places you visit. The old saying "Take only photographs, leave only footprints" seems to apply here.

OK end of sermon!

Just because you may not be stopped and searched does not make it right to flout this rule, which is for the protection of the ecosystems of the ports. (There are usually signs telling you not to.)

When you get off the ship back in the US, there are very stern warnings about bringing any produce back (so that our ecosystem is not adversely affected by foreign pests), and the same is true for our local 'foreign pests'.

For those that can't pull themselves away from a beach to eat, most beaches I've been to in the Caribbean have food right there that you can order and have brought to your lounge chair. Never had a problem with illness associated with this.

Bottle of water? OK. Fruit rollups, granola bars, little boxes of cereal? Check, check and check. A ham sandwich and an apple? Not so good.

Part of responsible travel is to respect the laws and customs of the various places you visit. The old saying "Take only photographs, leave only footprints" seems to apply here.

OK end of sermon!

Amen, sister! Great post!

Anyway, I see these visits as a great opportunity to teach children that the world is not fueled on chicken tenders and mac and cheese. But then again, in my family we weren't allowed to be picky eaters. I'm sure that's why I'm a rampant foodie.

OK end of sermon!

Thank you! Now I don't have to get up on my soap-box.

OK end of sermon!

Amen!

The only way to enforce not taking food off the ship would be to search everyone's belongings as they go ashore. I have never seen that done. It would take too long and most people would consider it a violation of their rights. While most people put up with security searches while boarding the ship for obvious reasons, I don't think too many people would tolerate a security search when going ashore to look for donuts.

Now that may be true in some ports, but not all. In Bermuda, they did go thru bags, and I know there were othr ports also, but I can not recall which ones.

Archived