Jewel of the Seas review 2/10/2019

We just returned from our 5 night cruise on Jewel and I hope this review answers some recent comments and questions as it pertains to this ship.

We arrived at the port in Miami at 11:30 on the 10th. Clearing security was quick but the lines inside the terminal were long unless you were a suite or pinnacle level guest. The lines moved fairly quickly however and we were onboard the ship just after noon. Recent comments I read prior to our cruise suggested that our seapass cards would be in an envelope on the stateroom doors. That was not the case. Our cards were given out by the agents checking us in.

We went directly from check-in to the Windjammer for lunch. The selection of food was very good and although the WJ was crowded there was plenty of seating available in a number of areas including the open area of seating aft.

Rooms were announced as ready at about 12:45 and we were fortunate not to have far to travel. We selected one of the new balcony cabins installed in 2016 on deck 11, starboard side, forward. It was quiet, clean, comfortable, and looked great. Everything in it worked as it should and there were no issues. 

I read recently that many of the ships had done away with the day panels in the elevators that many people enjoyed seeing each day. Jewel still has them for now at least.

Entertainment and activities were plentiful and the usual variety onboard, but overall was bland and not that good on this particular ship or cruise. The ship itself was well maintained and looked in excellent condition.

There were always plenty of lounge chairs available on the pool deck and seating in the solarium was also usually available. The hot tubs however were a different story. There were some large family groups onboard and it seemed they lived in them for hours at a time on some days. Given many pool deaths or near drownings on some ships it was nice to see lifeguards on duty whenever the pools were open. 

The food was good in both the MDR and WJ in our opinion. We were surprised by the constant variety of choices in the WJ in particular. We had lunch in the WJ each day and dinner in the MDR each night, except for the final night. We went to the WJ because it was Valentines Day and they had prepared some special things for that night including a chocolate buffet.

The staff was great and very friendly. We are Diamond Plus but still had access to both the Diamond Lounge and Concierge Lounge. At no time during the cruise were they overcrowded at any point each day. There were no issues as has been the case on other ships. Nobody was outside the doors between 5 and 8pm stopping you from taking things out. It wasn't necessary on this particular ship or cruise.

Upon our return, getting off the ship was even faster than getting on. We left when called at 8am and were in our shuttle by 8:30am. It was a great cruise (too short) and we enjoyed every minute of our time on Jewel of the Seas.

I will be glad to answer any questions you might have if I can. One last thing for those who might like an occasional soda rather than pay for a soda package. Jewel offered a deal where you could get soda sent up to your storeroom at discounted prices. You could get 6 for $12,  12 for $22, and a case of 24 for $40! They charge 3.25 for one at the bars. Order cards are available in your stateroom.

• Like 1

Thanks for the review.  I always enjoy reading reviews people do. 

(I suppose I should do a review after we cruise, but it's always, back to work.....)  

THEY'RE ELIMINATING THE DAY OF THE WEEK SIGNS ON THE ELEVATORS!?!?!?!?!  SERIOUSLY?!?!?  

You mean I won't be able to start each day by taking a picture of the elevator floor?  

OK - I'm really just being funny.  Kind of... I hadn't heard anything about that, and I always enjoy seeing the day of the week on the floor.  Well, until like the next to the last day of the cruise.  

Well, I guess I'll survive, and will continue to cruise Royal.  

Glad you had a good cruise.

25 minutes ago, GBM said:

Thanks for the review.  I always enjoy reading reviews people do. 

(I suppose I should do a review after we cruise, but it's always, back to work.....)  

THEY'RE ELIMINATING THE DAY OF THE WEEK SIGNS ON THE ELEVATORS!?!?!?!?!  SERIOUSLY?!?!?  

You mean I won't be able to start each day by taking a picture of the elevator floor?  

OK - I'm really just being funny.  Kind of... I hadn't heard anything about that, and I always enjoy seeing the day of the week on the floor.  Well, until like the next to the last day of the cruise.  

Well, I guess I'll survive, and will continue to cruise Royal.  

Glad you had a good cruise.

Not reminding us of what day of the week it is, is a good thing:classic_wink: