Best of the budget hotels????

chef Brian

Hello,

i was wondering if someone could tell me which is the best of these hotels to stay in? Best western inn and marina, comfort suites cruise port, or amerisuites? we are looking for clean, comfortable and safe....we would also like to be somewhat close to the water taxi if we could. any help would be great thanks so much Chef Brian oh btw we are going to be there in may on a friday for sat cruise thanks.:D

None of the above!... BW Marina is the biggest dump in town, Comfort Suites is a close second, and a long walk to the Water Taxi... AmeriSuites is a bit worn and tired, but fine for a night if you're on a very tight budget, although it seems to be having a few problems at the moment according to a few people in the many other threads on it.

If you want a "budget" hotel I would go with one of these, they're less than 10 minutes from FLL, a block from Port Everglades, 2 blocks from the Water Taxi, and are surrounded by dozens of restaurants, shops, grocery, drug & liquor stores...

Extended Stay America (nicest budget hotel)... http://www.extendedstayamerica.com/hotels/fort-lauderdale-convention-center-marina.html

Holiday Inn Express "Convention Center" (nice budget hotel)... http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hd/fllcc

TrentS,

I just wanted to take the time to thank you for your suggestion to consider the Extended Stay America in FLL. I just booked it at a great price ($74.+taxes pn.) for pre and post cruise in April for 3 couples. The more I read about it in all of the review sections online the more pleased all of us that have booked there are.

On priceline 3* I've received Marriott Marina, Doubletree Beachfront, Bahia Mar & Yankee Clipper and a bump up to the Renaissance over the last 5 years. Really looking forward to this stay!

THANK YOU TRENT...don't think I could have done as well even if it were a Priceline pick!

Jonathan

blue, start with these ;) :

SE 17th Street (closest to Port Everglades and FLL)...

Renaissance... http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/FLLBR

Embassy Suites... http://www.embassysuites.com/en/es/...ctyhocn=FLLSOES

Marina Marriott... http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/FLLFL

Holiday Inn Express... http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hd/fllcc

Extended Stay America... http://www.extendedstayamerica.com/...ter-marina.html

AmeriSuites... http://amerisuites.com/reservations....asp?facid=3929

Partyboy; Hi Johnathn: Remember me, Diane, from the Triumph cruise in 2004?I was wondering how what website you went through to get the Extended Stay of America for $74.What cruise are you going n?We are going on the Sea Princess on April 8.Need a hotel for the night before?What date did you get it for?Is Gail going with you this time. Say hi to Patty from us.

Hi Diane!

How are you/ I hope well!!!!

Yes, Gailsy & Mike are joining us on the Caribbean Princess on April 22, 2006.

I found a $10.00 off coupon offer by going to www.extendedstayamerica.com. The coupon is just below the area where you insert the date of your stay.

I will be staying there both pre & post cruise and the rate remained the same on both dates. I checked your date and the rate is considerably higher, I guess because of the Easter holiday and greater demand.

You're just going to have to cancel your cruise and jump on with us to get those great rates!!!!

TrentS was very helpful in helping me locate this hotel. So far we have 5 couples staying there for our cruise.

Very happy to hear from you Diane. Stay in touch!!!xo

Thanks for the info Bequia. Florida people (Bequia or Trent) have you heard of the Hampton Inn Airport North. It seems ok with 2 queen size beds but seems like there aren't any restaurants around there for dinner. Either of you know about this hotel. Please let me know. blue

While that hotel itself may be fine, the neighborhood it's in is NOT a very good one. That's just off of State Road 84 - An area best avoided! There's a small strip mall across the street with a grocery store, but there really isn't much in the way of restaurants and it's NOT a safe area to be walking around in, particularly after dark!

You would be much better off to stay along SE 17th Street, much closer to both the airport, port, Water Taxi, and you have everything you could possibly want right there!

Thanks for all the information.The ESA is quite a bit higher than the SUper 8 we have reserved.Will keep Super 8 unless I can get something on Priceline before then.We have a cancellable reservation there and they have free shuttle and free breakfast, which adds up.We will just have to take their shuttle or a taxi to the 17th st area for dinner.I know it is prime time.I have tried a few times on Priceline and have not been able to get anything for April 7.

Thanks for all the information.The ESA is quite a bit higher than the SUper 8 we have reserved.Will keep Super 8 unless I can get something on Priceline before then.We have a cancellable reservation there and they have free shuttle and free breakfast, which adds up.We will just have to take their shuttle or a taxi to the 17th st area for dinner.I know it is prime time.I have tried a few times on Priceline and have not been able to get anything for April 7.

Super 8? NO COMPARISON... ESA is also a LOT better hotel in a far FAR better location... If you mean the Super 8 in Dania Beach, there's nothing to walk to except a KFC and Dunkin' Donuts... You'll spend what you're saving on cab fare! ESA is MUCH closer to both the airport and port, and you can walk to everything else you'll want - It's all right there.

ESA offers no shuttles, HOWEVER, it's less than 10 minutes from FLL, and only a block from Port Everglades... It's surrounded by everything you could possibly want - dozens of restaurants, shops, grocery, drug, liquor stores, and is 2 blocks from the Water Taxi... You'll find that in most cases the shuttles are not worth the hassle - at many hotels you'll wait a long long time for them and end up taking a taxi anyway! The "free" breakfast at most hotels is also rarely edible.

ESA offers no shuttles, HOWEVER, it's less than 10 minutes from FLL, and only a block from Port Everglades... It's surrounded by everything you could possibly want - dozens of restaurants, shops, grocery, drug, liquor stores, and is 2 blocks from the Water Taxi... You'll find that in most cases the shuttles are not worth the hassle - at many hotels you'll wait a long long time for them and end up taking a taxi anyway! The "free" breakfast at most hotels is also rarely edible.

We have stayed at the Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale North for the past two cruises without a problem.

Both times we arrived at the airport between 2 and 3 AM bleary eyed and within 10 minutes of calling the hotel shuttle was there to pick us up.

We pulled up to the hotel safely with no problems. When we arrived because we called for the free hotel shuttle and gave our names they were ready with our room keys. This hotel is nice and clean and very convenient. It took about 12 minutes to get here from the airport and about 15 minutes to the Pier. We feel much safer taking the hotel shuttle at that hour of night that a cab. It is easy to spot as it has a BIG PINK Flamingo on top!

They offer the free shuttle service to the pier, but we chose to take a cab to the pier so we could leave when we wanted. Plus the fact that the later you arrive at the hotel the later the shuttle was available. The free breakfast here is great. It really was very nice. I always love the Hampton Inn Breakfast buffets. And as far as roaming out to restaurants the hotel will shuttle you safely both ways to restaurants that are deemed safe. There is all the standard fast food places and a strip mall to purchase your drinks. The middle of the morning on a Sunday we found the stripmall quite empty and it would seem relatively safe.

While this might not be the HOTEL to vacation in if you extend your stay before or after cruise. This Hampton is clean, great breakfast( the clientel was probably 100% cruisers at breakfast) and a perfect overnight cruise local if you catch a good price!

Downtown Miami hotels to me hold far more dangers. For a one night stay on either end of your trip you cannot go wrong. We plan on continuing our Stay at this Hampton.

Things are not always as they may seem to someone who has only spent a couple of nights in the area... The simple fact is that State Road 84 is not a very safe area, there is little to walk to, and it's absolutely NOT safe to do so at night. There are FAR better places to stay in Fort Lauderdale, closer to both the airport and port, with a LOT more to offer for the same amount of money.

Sure they'll shuttle you to restaurants, but why waste time with shuttles when you can stay somewhere else where there are literally dozens of restaurants of all types plus the Water Taxi within safe, easy walking distance.

Thanks Trent. On your advice, I booked the Holiday Inn Express on 17th St., for me and my DDs for our post cruise. It sounds like a good safe place to stay within easy distance of shopping and places to eat. The only problem I have now, is there was no availability for our pre-cruise. The Embassy Suites was going for $260, more than I wanted to spend. What do you think about the Hilton Garden Inn? Thanks again!

The Hilton Garden Inn in Dania Beach is fine. It's across the street from Oakwood Center, a large collection of strip malls with several restaurants.

If the HIX on SE 17th is full though, try the Extended Stay America next door. It's a very nice budget hotel, and usually has great rates... http://www.extendedstayamerica.com/hotels/fort-lauderdale-convention-center-marina.html

I live in Chicago and have also stayed downtown Chicago on Business. I have stayed at the CHICAGO HILTON and Towers a magnificent hotel with beautiful rooms. But it is located in the Southen end of the downtown area. I would not think to walk even a block to a FAMOUS restaurant.

Same in Miami. I would not consider walking to a restaurant in Miami at night.

EVER.. Even if I am staying in the best area. I have family who live and work in Miami..etc.. I have been visiting in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale etc.. for the past 30 years.. and more than half my family lives in this Ft. Lauderdale, MIAMI area.

Any hotels in an URBAN downtown area or an INDUSTRIAL/AIRPORT etc.. area will have caution attached.

When I go to Atlanta On business and stay at a fine hotel you wont catch me walking either...

But I understand your concern for those who like to get in early and see the sights. Or stay a few days prior or after their cruise.

We chatted with many cruisers during breakfast and everyone seemed very pleased with their accomodations etc.

If $$$ were not of importance we all could stay in the trendy areas.. But I would rather be spending my money buying Jewelry on St. Thomas. ( Which... isn't so safe to walk around either. Since a friend was dragged in broad daylight in front of Bluebeards Castle as someone was trying to relieve her of her purse across her shoulder)

We see this hotel as a one night sleep eat breakfast and leave. We never set foot outside once we arrive except to go to the airport. We enjoy the free shuttle service to the hotel as we get in at 2AM or later in the morning and find this a safer alternative than a strange cabbie. I did see many of the Guests in the morning coming back from the store next door with their soda. Without battle scars..LOL

At least I'll know if you scare away lots of CC'rs there will always be a room available during my Cruise date! Around Christamas...LOL..

And at an affordable rate!

HAPPY CRUISING!!

Of course you use caution no matter where you're at, HOWEVER, the SE 17th Street area in Fort Lauderdale IS a VERY safe area! You CAN walk to the restaurants there from the hotels without problem!

I'm not trying to SCARE anyone away. I merely tell people what *I* would want to be told!!! If you enjoy that hotel by all means stay there. I'm sure it's a fine hotel, but the NEIGHBORHOOD isn't. If you're getting in late and just want a bed, then it's fine, HOWEVER, if you want to stay somewhere where you can SAFELY walk to dozens of restaurants, shops, grocery, drug & liquor stores, as well as the Water Taxi then that's NOT the area to be staying in - SE 17th Street is. There are 3 BUDGET hotels along SE 17th Street that are the same price or CHEAPER than that Hampton Inn, and 2 of the 3 are just as nice.

Thanks Trent. On your advice, I booked the Holiday Inn Express on 17th St., for me and my DDs for our post cruise. It sounds like a good safe place to stay within easy distance of shopping and places to eat. The only problem I have now, is there was no availability for our pre-cruise. The Embassy Suites was going for $260, more than I wanted to spend. What do you think about the Hilton Garden Inn? Thanks again!

Where is the following hotel located? Is it different than the above Holiday Inn. Just saw this in someones January review? Someone just asked me?

We booked a room at the Holiday Inn Ft. Lauderdale Beach. It looked nice on Priceline and was rated a 3 Star hotel. The staff was nice but the rooms were nasty. There was mold all over the shower area and electric outlets were missing covers. The armchairs at the little table had stains on them. I normally don’t complain but I took pictures and will send them to Holiday Inn’s corporate office. For $120 a night I had much higher expectations.

Same in Miami. I would not consider walking to a restaurant in Miami at night.

EVER.. Even if I am staying in the best area. I have family who live and work in Miami..etc.. I have been visiting in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale etc.. for the past 30 years.. and more than half my family lives in this Ft. Lauderdale, MIAMI area.

)

HAPPY CRUISING!!

I also have family that lives in Miami and visit quite often. That said, I don't think you can over generalize and say that Miami isn't safe at night. There are very safe parts of Miami just as there are unsafe parts of Miami. I travel for business quite often to Miami and stay on the beaches and have never had a problem or walking by myself at night.

I do however, stay off the beaches at night.

I also have family that lives in Miami and visit quite often. That said, I don't think you can over generalize and say that Miami isn't safe at night. There are very safe parts of Miami just as there are unsafe parts of Miami. I travel for business quite often to Miami and stay on the beaches and have never had a problem or walking by myself at night.

I do however, stay off the beaches at night.

I am mostly referring to the hotels in downtown miami proper.. as opposed to those right on the beach..

During key cruise times.. the prime hotels are the first to fill leaving most to find a hotel in the downtown area.

Where is the following hotel located? Is it different than the above Holiday Inn. Just saw this in someones January review? Someone just asked me?

Yes, those are 2 very different Holiday Inn's... The Holiday Inn Express "Convention Center" is a newer hotel on SE 17th Street, a block from the port, and less than 10 minutes from FLL, in a very safe neighborhood with everything you could possibly want right there... http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hd/fllcc

The Holiday Inn on Fort Lauderdale Beach is at A1A & Sunrise Blvd. It's a tired, old hotel across the street from the beach, and is a bit farther north than most like to stay... http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hd/fllsb

Archived