1st Princess Cruise - help on what to bring

IBCruisin19

We are cruising Alaska mid June on the Royal.  Last cruise was on RC about 12 years ago so we don't cruise often.  But in this day and age with so much electronics needing plugged in, I have been reading that a non-surge protected power strip is allowed.  Can anyone verify this and if so, what kind would you suggest??  I have seen some that plug into the outlet giving you  more plugs along with USB ports and then I've seen corded ones (no surge protection on it) that would give you more accessibility to the unit.  Now, I don't want to bring one and have it taken at the dock, so can you suggest one that is allowed??

Thanks for your help!!

18 minutes ago, IBCruisin19 said:

We are cruising Alaska mid June on the Royal.  Last cruise was on RC about 12 years ago so we don't cruise often.  But in this day and age with so much electronics needing plugged in, I have been reading that a non-surge protected power strip is allowed.  Can anyone verify this and if so, what kind would you suggest??  I have seen some that plug into the outlet giving you  more plugs along with USB ports and then I've seen corded ones (no surge protection on it) that would give you more accessibility to the unit.  Now, I don't want to bring one and have it taken at the dock, so can you suggest one that is allowed??

Thanks for your help!!

A non surge power strip is allowed.  We bring one on every cruise.  Good idea to have an adapter as well to convert the Euro type plug to North American std or vice versa depending on your devices.

There are no USB ports available and a scant few 120v ports.  We all bring a power strip and/or a USB hub.  We bring a clock radio mostly for the time and alarm so we bring along a Y power cord with one plug and two outlets (https://www.amazon.com/Cablelera-Power-Extension-Splitter-ZWACPQAG-14/dp/B00FRODUR4/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3RDW60X0FJIUF&keywords=plug+splitter&qid=1550541804&s=gateway&sprefix=plug+splki%2Caps%2C160&sr=8-6) and a USB hub with a short 120v cord (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OQ1CY2Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Put them in your checked luggage and not your carry on as they sometimes get the security people in the terminal excited.  The security people are not Princess employees and sometimes get strange ideas about what is allowed.  You will need one or both of these devices. 

Edited by satxdiver

If you want any suggestions on what else to bring, Ive got one for you. If your going to Alaska, chances are you’ll be indulging in Alaska King Crab. Take a couple pair of kitchen scissors with you. You’ll thank me later when you’re finished dinner and not bleeding. 

Glenn

We bring a non-surge protector power strip and I always save the paper sleeve and put it around it so there is never a question on if it's non-surge protector (not sure if that's necessary but just to be safe). We always bring two pop-up collapsible laundry baskets (buy them at the Dollar Store - they fold flat), one for lights, one for darks, especially if you will do laundry onboard. Speaking of laundry, we bring those laundry sheets that take no room to pack (detergent is infused in the sheet). I bring bottles of wine for dinner and pay the corkage fee to have the wine I like. There's lot of other things I bring but I'm not sure if you mean just for electronic. Other non-electronic items are lanyards, magnetic hooks to hang your lanyard by the door, portable alarm clock, and for electronics, don't forget all your chargers (for me that means for Fitbit, Kindle, iPhone, wireless headphones, etc.) Have fun and just buy anything you forgot in port. We've done it on every cruise! Bring lots of layers of clothes for Alaska! Enjoy your cruise.

A few small magnets are helpful to attach  flyers/daily schedule on  the cabin's metal walls: keeps the clutter organized and  at eye level.

A small packet of lysol-type wetwipes and regular wetwipes for general use.  Princess' stewards  work hard to tidy your room and keep surfaces clean, too.

Simplify your packing!  Princess is casual and Alaska has folks dressed in layers:  some days can be real balmy or wet and cool, and then the public rooms can be chilly.

Use your iPhone's alarm clock or dial the cabin's telephone for the "time".  

A bright underliner to mark the daily schedule/"Patter" to hi-light activities you might be interested in to do/see...   

The shower has a light weight laundry line for drip-drying.  If you only like to use your own shampoo/conditioner/bath soap:  there  is only a small shelf to store the items in the shower area. 

For Alaska, bring binoculars. 

Our group had a number of balcony cabins where the cabin steward opened the doors between so we could visit on the balcony.  My brother-in-law kept coming over to borrow our binoculars.  We were spying lots of wildlife along the shoreline.  But be careful, you may see more than what you planned.  My brother-in-law saw something along the shoreline and grabbed the binoculars to get a better look.  It was a group of people camping.  They were mooning the ship!  He got an eyeful!

• Haha 1

Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions on what we should bring.  Some we have thought of, some we hadn't (binder clips to close drapes) but I am sooooo curious -- why oh why Vic do we need earplugs???  ;) 

Have ordered the power strip (no surge) and will definitely pack it in the luggage. 

I always bring a mesh laundry bag and hang in bathroom for dirty clothes to bring to laundry, Tide Pods and fabric sheets

Two swimsuits - 1 for salt water, 1 for fresh water.  (beaches are salt water, ship pools are fresh water).

On 2/20/2019 at 7:49 AM, ppeckham said:

For Alaska, bring binoculars. 

Our group had a number of balcony cabins where the cabin steward opened the doors between so we could visit on the balcony.  My brother-in-law kept coming over to borrow our binoculars.  We were spying lots of wildlife along the shoreline.  But be careful, you may see more than what you planned.  My brother-in-law saw something along the shoreline and grabbed the binoculars to get a better look.  It was a group of people camping.  They were mooning the ship!  He got an eyeful!

One of our cruises out of PE we were leaving the port on a nice Sunday afternoon.  We had a balcony cabin on the port side.  As we were leaving the harbor a number of people were on the jetty to wave us off per usual.  This one time though two young men gave us the full moon salute standing near the end of the jetty!  It happened too fast so I was not able to get a picture.  

3 hours ago, melodyina said:

I always bring a mesh laundry bag and hang in bathroom for dirty clothes to bring to laundry, Tide Pods and fabric sheets

Two swimsuits - 1 for salt water, 1 for fresh water.  (beaches are salt water, ship pools are fresh water).

We always bring a mesh laundry bag and hang it in the closet for dirty clothes.  Very handy indeed.  Since we are elite Ms diver loves the laundry service so no need for the Tide pods which are a great idea.  The idea of swim suits in AK is rather chilling however. 

21 hours ago, satxdiver said:

We always bring a mesh laundry bag and hang it in the closet for dirty clothes.  Very handy indeed.  Since we are elite Ms diver loves the laundry service so no need for the Tide pods which are a great idea.  The idea of swim suits in AK is rather chilling however. 

I had to chuckle as I realized you wouldn't be experiencing salt water in Alaska. 🙂  We too are elite, but I still do most of my laundry.  Pending on the ship and the # of elites,  I can't depend on a 24 hour turnaround on my laundry.  For some odd reason, I find the laundry room relaxing.

On 2/22/2019 at 9:45 PM, satxdiver said:

One of our cruises out of PE we were leaving the port on a nice Sunday afternoon.  We had a balcony cabin on the port side.  As we were leaving the harbor a number of people were on the jetty to wave us off per usual.  This one time though two young men gave us the full moon salute standing near the end of the jetty!  It happened too fast so I was not able to get a picture.  

One of my favorite cruise memories is the day the Bridge announced that we were going to rendezvous with Windstar. 

We were up on deck hanging over the starboard rail when we saw sails in the distance. They got bigger and bigger and there she was, beautiful in the sunlight. 

She came up the starboard side, and crossed in front of the bow. 

We rushed to port side just in time for a close look. 

Her passengers were crowding the deck facing us. 

With one voice, they asked “Pardon, do you have any Grey Poupon?”

Not having rehearsed, our “No” was pretty ragged. 

That’s when they all turned around and mooned us as they sailed away. 

Priceless!

9 hours ago, jagsfan said:

One of my favorite cruise memories is the day the Bridge announced that we were going to rendezvous with Windstar. 

We were up on deck hanging over the starboard rail when we saw sails in the distance. They got bigger and bigger and there she was, beautiful in the sunlight. 

She came up the starboard side, and crossed in front of the bow. 

We rushed to port side just in time for a close look. 

Her passengers were crowding the deck facing us. 

With one voice, they asked “Pardon, do you have any Grey Poupon?”

Not having rehearsed, our “No” was pretty ragged. 

That’s when they all turned around and mooned us as they sailed away. 

Priceless!

Very funny indeed.  I had forgotten than Windstar held au natural cruises.  How appropriate they gave you the moon salute.  We stayed at the Embassy Suites near the cruise terminal at Port Everglades for our cruise last November.  Also staying at the hotel was a group that had chartered the X leaving port the next day.  This group was made up of naturalists and swingers.  I can imagine there were a lot of stories to be told of that cruise.  

They weren’t nude, they just turned around and dropped their drawers!

We did pass a sailboat once when we were coming in to St Thomas that featured a totally naked blonde sunning herself. 

Luckily, we didn’t run into the pier at Havensight!