Norwegian Cruise Boss Zeroes In on Higher Prices

shof515

My wife and I are leaving on a Bliss cruise next week and while it’s only our fourth cruise on NCL, the prices have went up significantly.  We have only done Breakaway and Breakaway Plus ships (including the Escape to Bermuda). And this will be the overall most expensive vacation we have went on.  We always book a midship mini suite or in one case, we did get a spa mini suite.  However, our philosophy was that we get what we pay for.  We came over from being loyal Carnival cruisers, and while the Breeze may still be out favorite ship, the overall quality of the cruise wasn’t even close to what we experienced in other NCL.  However, my wife and I are planning our second cruise for later this year, and right now, it doesn’t look like it will be NCL, simply because we are seeing another line with amazing reviews on a specific ship that is doing the itenerary that we want that NCL doesn’t have and the price is also lower.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2019 at 12:01 PM, Kasry said:

I'm a huge Disney fan and will gladly pay the prices for their parks and resorts because its a unique experience that you can only get at Disney World. That said, I would never pay what they charge for cruises. Their cruises are easily 3x the price of NCL. I can get a Balcony room on NCL for half of what DCL charges for an inside stateroom. And my drinks on NCL are already paid for with that. 

LOL!  No they aren't and no you can't.  The end.  

I truly think that introduction of the Free at Sea perks has had a huge impact on increased cruise fares.  Although one might say that you only pay the 20% gratuity for the drink package and for some it could be considered a great deal.  However, in order to offer this perk, NCL had to find a way to maximise its profits and one could presumably assume that the cabin fares have been increased to include a portion of that perk. 

Even if a fellow cruiser does not drink, it is fair to assume that he is also paying a portion of the so called "Free at Sea" program in his cabin fare.

As for price increases (before the introduction of the Free at Sea perks), in Nov 2014,  we took the NCL 21 Day Ultimate Mediterranean cruise and the total cost was $4305.98 for me and my DW in a mid-ship balcony (BA).  Similar cruise this coming Nov 19 is $10,340 without any perks.  On top of our cruise fare, our total bar bill including Viva Vino (1.5 bottle per day), 2 beers per day (Bucket of beers) and 1 cocktail per day was $1027 (including the then 15% gratuity). The gratuity for the upcoming Nov 19 would be $831.60.  Needless to say that thousands of dollars can by you a lot of drinks with reduced cruise fares without any perks

I certainly can understand why many people can no longer afford to cruise.  Sure enough, we all agree that inflation has to be considered and that cruise companies have to make a profit but how can they justify a $6,035 increase in just four years.  Mr Del Rio's comments to keep on increasing the cruise fares will only push some loyal NCL cruisers away from cruising especially the retirees and possibly families with young children.  For most retirees on fixed income (me included), I am quite sure that their pensions have not been increased at the rate NCL has increased the cruise fares these past 4 and a half years.

I agree that for some of us who no longer can afford to cruise that there will be new people ready to pay to fill the ships and I am happy for them if they can afford it.

This is my honest opinion as to how I see things.

3 minutes ago, FSNA5861 said:

Sure enough, we all agree that inflation has to be considered and that cruise companies have to make a profit but how can they justify a $6,035 increase in just four years. 

As long as people pay these prices, they will continue to go up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FSNA5861 said:

I truly think that introduction of the Free at Sea perks has had a huge impact on increased cruise fares.  Although one might say that you only pay the 20% gratuity for the drink package and for some it could be considered a great deal.  However, in order to offer this perk, NCL had to find a way to maximise its profits and one could presumably assume that the cabin fares have been increased to include a portion of that perk. 

Even if a fellow cruiser does not drink, it is fair to assume that he is also paying a portion of the so called "Free at Sea" program in his cabin fare.

I would agree with you- fares have steadily increased with subsidizes some of the ships cost of the alcohol.

Also, in doing the math- I paid $122 and $100 on the gratuity for the  free drink package and even at 50 drinks on the first cruise (got drinks for other people I was with) and 30 drinks on the last cruise - they are still making money at an average cost of $3 or so per drink. 

They also make money off of the SDP's as well - even if not a gratuity plenty of people buy them as a non promo

One year ago we sailed with all of the "Free At Sea" perks. We paid 0 zero gratuity on them. So one year later you are charged with the cruise fare for a gratuity on a "free" perk. Somehow this does not equate to free.  The year before the wine we would drink was on the drink package. Last year it was not. 20% off of a bottle at a cost that was laughable, but we paid it. We changed to an all inclusive cruise line to avoid the nickel and dimeing. Our cabin fare from 2018 had also almost doubled. That was the dollar amount that could buy a longer all inclusive cruise. Bye to NCL for us. We had a long and fun run.

2 hours ago, FSNA5861 said:

I agree that for some of us who no longer can afford to cruise that there will be new people ready to pay to fill the ships and I am happy for them if they can afford it.

Just curious, I wonder what NCLs target market is if many working class families with kids can't afford them, retirees incomes are for the most part constant, singles are regularly charged double?

Who is left? Newlyweds, unmarried couples where both parties work full time, unsuspecting first time cruisers who don't realize what the true cost is until after the cruise ends.