Excursion in Icy Strait that won't break the bank?

cruising7

We are a large family group (adults and teens) and I have no idea what to do.  We went to Alaska previously and the best thing we did was rent a car in Skagway for the day.  Best day ever!  This time, I am a bit bummed at ports (Juneau, Ketchikan, Icy Strait and Victoria) and I know nothing about ICP and it is our only day in port all day.  I keep hearing about whale watching but those are so pricey usually.  We like to get away from ports and see as much as we can.  Any advice>  TIA! 

Every excursion seems to be pricey in Alaska.  That said, we were able to find a Whale Watch/Bear Search tour in ISP on sale.  Several vendors ran sales right at the beginning of the year when we were booking excursions in several ports.  Planning very early paid off for us!  I cannot recommend the vendor since we have not yet done it, but perhaps some research will help you get a deal somewhere.

That said, I have heard that the whales are often seen right near a restaurant near the shore.  Maybe someone here can chime in and name that place.  I am hoping we have time to go there after our tour.  

I am excited about ISP.  It looks like the least developed port, but that is what I am looking forward to in Alaska.