Crew's radio frequencies used by Celebrity?

Canuker

Anyone know if they still use UHF (450 ~ 470 MHz) on Celebrity ships' internal communications?
Or has it all gone cellular?
Presumably, the VHF marine band is still used for external communication? 
Anything specific to Celebrity Reflection especially appreciated.
Tnx.

8 hours ago, johno1234 said:

I would think that VHF/UHF radios would be useless on a ship as they don't work at all through obstructions. So curious to know what on earth they would use?

The crew radios (mostly UHF for intra-ship) are high wattage radios (5 watt), and there is a system of repeater antenna through the ship to boost the signal.  They work extremely well, you can talk from the lower engine room (in a quiet space, not next to a diesel :classic_tongue:) up to the bridge using this system.

On 2/23/2019 at 9:24 PM, Canuker said:

Anyone know if they still use UHF (450 ~ 470 MHz) on Celebrity ships' internal communications?
Or has it all gone cellular?
Presumably, the VHF marine band is still used for external communication? 
Anything specific to Celebrity Reflection especially appreciated.
Tnx.

I would think there is a decent chance they would confiscate the radios if they knew you had one.  I think these could easily fall into the category of "anything that would interfere with the safe operation of the ship."   Certainly if you had a two-way radio, I think it would be confiscated, they don't need you "helping the crew".  Even without two-way capability, I think Celebrity would like to assume that the radio communications are limited to the crew, if there is anything they want you to know they will tell you through official communications.  In a critical developing situation, much of the radio traffic may be incomplete or even incorrect and it wouldn't be safe to have a passenger spreading incorrect information.

I took a radio (Kenwood TH-F6) on Disney years ago and it was fun to listen to all of the communications.  People used to gather around when we were coming into a port or leaving to listen with me.  But, RCI and X, specifically say that ham (amateur) radios are not allowed on board.  So, even if it's only a receiver, my guess they would confiscate it if notice it.

The one that I had on DCL was capable of transmitting although I did not do so as it would have been illegal for me to do so.  I haven't taken a radio on board since that cruise.  Rick, KQ4Y